The perfect off season

coachx

I had a day dream of the perfect off season blueprint:

Resign Smith

Resign Chillz

Sign Diop ..... he is an UFA

Sigh K. Rush....he is an UFA

Law wins MVP of the summer league

Diop gives us the defensive minded 7 footer off the bench to complete our front line rotation. He would get all of ZaZa, Lo, and Sheldon's minutes while allowing Horford to play at PF in desired situations.

Rush gives us a shooter and a decent perimeter defender.

If someone over pays for Chills we should sign Rush as a cheaper replacement. If we do resign Chills we should still go after Rush to improve our limited depth and outside shooting.

Who would you hire that fits that desire?

Personally I don't think that the grass would be greener at this point, but I will reserve final judgment until the offseason when Woody has shown what he can do during the final stretch of the season and the playoffs as coach.

Quote:

I had a day dream of the perfect off season blueprint:

Resign Smith

Resign Chillz

Sign Diop ..... he is an UFA

Sigh K. Rush....he is an UFA

Law wins MVP of the summer league

Remember that we will also need another pg since Acie is the only one we have under contract for next season.

I don't see how we will have enough money to fill the holes on the roster and still resign Childress.

I've seen Mark Jackson's name thrown about some. I also thought that the firing of Scott Skiles was a move to cover Paxson's bad choices (trading away Chandler for nothing, signing Wallace, not trading for Gasol). Thus, Skiles might be the type of guy that would be a good fit for the team.

IMO, Woody really just can't manage the team properly. There are times when he handles things OK, but the majority of the time there are significant in-game gafes. I also think he's mis-managed several players on the roster. Lastly, the team needs some new energy going into next season. The fan-base has had it with the moves of the ASG. A new coach would be a good PR move, and if that leads to more seats sold, then that is a good thing for all Hawks fans.

For me I would like Selma Hayek to complete my offseason bannana_guitar.gif

Quote:

Remember that we will also need another pg since Acie is the only one we have under contract for next season.

I don't see how we will have enough money to fill the holes on the roster and still resign Childress.

No way we resign Childress AND "fill holes"! I don't see how people get this notion or the notion we can somehow resign MW, JS, and Childress. Ludicrous day dreaming.

We should look to consolidate 3 needs into 2 high quality players. Example? Perimeter shooting should either come from the Pg and/or a much less expensive Sg or SG/Sf. My choice? Calderon. Certainly an unlikely candidate but one we need to go after hard. Resigned JC + Law for a resigned Calderon/Moon or Parker (Toronto's choice). Calderon is a player that instantly makes JS, MW, Horford all a good 3-4 PPG better. However, Calderon, JS, and Horford become our "big 3" as Calderon will get paid at least $7-8 million per starting IMO.

I like the Diop signing idea as it would make for a good 3 man, big man rotation with Horford, JS, and Diop, but I suspect 10 other teams might also. He isn't going to come as cheap as we would like I'm afraid.

Still, we'd need a BU Pg, but with 2 on our roster, perhaps one would remain and if not an inexpensive one could be had and our 2nd rd pick could be devoted to that position if a good option existed. Oh, if we're not going to use SW. Trade him for a better BU Pg.

W

We could resign AJ to back up the PG position. I do like the idea of using Childress in an SnT for another point or a SG that can come off the bench and create his own shot. Childress is too much of a luxery for the team to keep with our holes at PG and in the paint.

Quote:

I've seen Mark Jackson's name thrown about some.

I have been really high on Mark Jackson for a while, although he has never even been an assistant coach.

Hearing him call games on TV and watching him finish his career as the 2nd All Time Assist Leader with limited athleticism shows you he is a thinker and cerebral sort of guy. He ran the Pacers offenses to precision in his later days......not to mention his good years with the Knicks and others.

He will make a fine coach for someone. I'd love to bring him in as an assistant at the least.

I was harping him as the "PG Coach" for us to mentor Law in the off season......Supposedly Drew has had that designation for the past few seasons. When the Clippers offered him a position last off season I was hoping the ASG would let him go and bring in Mark Jackson as his replacement. The ASG decided to be cheap and forced Drew to finish the last year of his contract....which I can understand.

No way we resign Childress AND "fill holes"! I don't see how people get this notion or the notion we can somehow resign MW, JS, and Childress. Ludicrous day dreaming.

We cross that bridge next season. No need to burn any bridges yet.

A decision can be made to later deal Chills or do a sign and trade for Marvin. I agree that going into the 09-10 season we will no longer have all 3 of: Marvin, Smith, & Chills.............but alot can happen between now and then.

Walter, I'm in total agreement regarding Calderon. Unfortunately, so are a ton of other teams, including Toronto! I sincerely doubt we have a shot at Calderon unless we give up Marvin or Smith.

Here's a "What if" for you. What if Toronto decides that Calderon at $8M is too expensive for a back-up, so they decide to make him the starter and move Ford. Should the Hawks have interest in Ford at $8M? Injury risk, much shorter, but maybe the fastest player around, and a great penetrator. Can't consistently hit the outside shot though, and we definitely need shooters.

Just a thought.

Quote:

. Should the Hawks have interest in Ford at $8M? Injury risk, much shorter, but maybe the fastest player around, and a great penetrator. Can't consistently hit the outside shot though, and we definitely need shooters.

Just a thought.

Easy no for me.

I have seen TJ Ford carried of on stetcher with a neck brace and his body immobolized 3 times. Once at U of Texas, once when playing for Miwaulkee, and once playing for Toronto. That is his 3 strikes if you ask me.

Horford would break him in two after a week of practice. Say what you want but guys can't go at TJ Ford 100% in practice and I would hate that as a coach.

I don't want any part of 165 pound frame with a "narrowing of the spine condition" that was diagnosed way back in highschool.

We don't need Speedy Claxton II.

Quote:

Walter, I'm in total agreement regarding Calderon. Unfortunately, so are a ton of other teams, including Toronto! I sincerely doubt we have a shot at Calderon unless we give up Marvin or Smith.

Here's a "What if" for you. What if Toronto decides that Calderon at $8M is too expensive for a back-up, so they decide to make him the starter and move Ford. Should the Hawks have interest in Ford at $8M? Injury risk, much shorter, but maybe the fastest player around, and a great penetrator. Can't consistently hit the outside shot though, and we definitely need shooters.

Just a thought.

I wouldn't for injury reasons as much as what you mention, he not only doesn't help, he hurts our perimeter shooting.

I know that Calderon is a reach, but Toronto has needs just like the rest of us and for Law/Childress could go for it. I'm not dead set against sending MW for him, frankly. I think Calderon does 2 times as much for this TEAM as MW does.

W

Quote:

I also didn't see anything in your offseason about me hooking up with either of the Jessica's Alba or Biel so I don't consider that to be a perfect offseason!

You're not kidding Dolfan. That's an offseason where no matter how the team does, you still come out a winner!!

Anyway, my perfect offseason would involve a new local owner taking over, jettising the ASG, and firing BK. That, followed by a press conference announcing that he's willing to do/spend what it takes to bring a world title to Atlanta. That's what this franchise really needs.

Quote:

Quote:

I also didn't see anything in your offseason about me hooking up with either of the Jessica's Alba or Biel so I don't consider that to be a perfect offseason!

You're not kidding Dolfan. That's an offseason where no matter how the team does, you still come out a winner!!

Anyway, my perfect offseason would involve a new local owner taking over, jettising the ASG, and firing BK. That, followed by a press conference announcing that he's willing to do/spend what it takes to bring a world title to Atlanta. That's what this franchise really needs.

I think Jessica Alba is rumored to have the Herps

Quote:

Quote:

I like that off-season plan above all others!

I think the reason we have the sorry bench we do, Lue, Lo, et al is beacause the ASG is strapped for cash. As evidenced by the release of the GM and another top exec last month. That puts a considerable damper on our plans and we will likely get outbid by other teams for Diop . . . . although I'd love to have him. He'd be great.

The other thing is that I think FA's are gonna avoid us like the clap becasue of the fiasco with the owners. I've heard on the radio ???? that they are the laughing stock of the league. That being said, if other teams were offering someone similar money, why would they come to the Hawks???