• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Popovich crying about the Gasol trade

Admin

Quote:

Memphis' Iavaroni takes high road after Spurs' Popovich lashes out

Grizzlies head coach Marc Iavaroni has heard the critics lambasting Memphis' management for the Pau Gasol trade to the Lakers, most notably the strong words from San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich. He just chooses to ignore them.

"[Popovich is] a great coach and they do a good job there," Iavaroni told the Memphis Commercial Appeal. "I don't read into anyone else's comments. That's just the nature of the league. People have a right to their opinion. We're just taking care of our best interests."

Popovich slammed Memphis for a trade that many around the NBA thought favored the Lakers.

"What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," Popovich told SI.com. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I would have voted no to the LA trade."

In the deal, Memphis acquired Kwame Brown and his expiring $9 million contract, rookie Javaris Crittenton, the rights to Marc Gasol and first-round picks in 2008 and 2010.

As a result of the trade, the Grizzlies could have as much as $17 million available under the salary cap that could help them sign free agents over the summer.

Sounds like some sort of complaint from a fantasy basketball league. There isn't an likely won't ever be a committee like he wants and even if there will be there sure isn't one now so what's the point of crying about the trade. It's done and over with and if that ends your run of dominance in the West then so be it. Maybe he should worry more about losing to the Celts without KG.

from his blog

Quote:

The Lakers stole Pau Gasol. They hi-jacked him. That should be a crime. You don’t give away Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown and a rookie. I don’t care what’s out there, you can get more than that. You gave away a $100 bill and you got back two nickels and a dime. Now the Lakers are a top four team, maybe even higher in the Western Conference. You have Bynum and the five and Pau at the four? That means you have two scorers who are 7-foot plus at the four and the five, which reminds me of David Robinson and Tim Duncan. Then you have Lamar Odom, who’s a 7-footer at the three and he gets to play free and do all the stuff he’s capable of doing, and then they have Mr. 81 at the two. You can put anybody at the one. Who cares who’s the one. I mean, they have their championship, veteran one in Derek Fisher, but that’s just a huge plus. You don’t even need him.

It seems like a pretty stupid move by Chris Wallace. No offense, I don’t know him personally, but you don’t give away Pau Gasol for what they got back. I mean, Chicago wanted Pau Gasol. They would have given something back in return. I mean, something. Ladies and gentlemen, they have Darko and Kwame at the four and the five. That’s all I’m going to say.

Shaq is back in the West and Kobe’s got Gasol - the two teams that hate each other with the two players that hate each other. Wow, how the NBA works

I agree with Pop.

When MEM pulls some crap like that it throws off the competitive balance of the league.

The next time the poop will hit the fan like this is when Lebron signs a 9 figure sneaker contract and walks on CLE for much less money in NY or LA.

Pop's got a point.

I'm just stunned that he even knows who the VP of the Grizzlies is. Not that I think he is stupid by any means, but that a player on another team knows who the VP of a bad team like the Grizzlies is impresses me. Hell just the fact that he takes the time to have a blog is impressive.

Quote:

I'm just stunned that he even knows who the VP of the Grizzlies is. Not that I think he is stupid by any means, but that a player on another team knows who the VP of a bad team like the Grizzlies is impresses me. Hell just the fact that he takes the time to have a blog is impressive.

He does have quite a bit of free time on his hands now.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Curious how you guys think the Bibby trade meassures up to the Gasol trade. Both are very slick for the receiving teams.

The Gasol trade was in-conference and makes the Lakers championship contenders, so I think you give Cupcake the edge over Knight.

I personally think the Korver trade was the best of the season.