• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The sad deal with Speedy

DJlaysitup

I honestly don't think Speedy wanted things to work out as they have. He may be a little short on heart and ability to take pain - but I haven't walked in his shoes so it's unfair for me to be overly critical (just moderately critical tongue.gif).

Anyway, IMO, had we had a healthy Speedy (like phookin Bernie promised) we would have won the last two games and probably a few others before that...Speedy would have slowed "Mr. Bigshot" keeping him afraid of steals. When healthy, Speedy was a brutally effective and quick defensive PG. Not a big offensive threat, but as good as the others outside of Lue's ability to shoot. Overall though, he was far superior to Lue as a PG.

For those of us who watched Speedy in the few games he played for us healthy, we knew he had offensive faults - but he more than made up for them with the havoc he caused defensively.

I'm certainly no Speedy fan anymore - just pointing out what might have been if the guy was playing for us now 100% healthy. detective.gif

Yep, I really think we missed out on what could have been. Remember when Speedy was the backup point in New Orleans and he absolutely torched us in that one game? I kept having visions of that when we signed him and only got to see it in glimpses. He needs to do the right thing and retire now and pay this team back some in that regard.

Speedy also excelled in a back-up role in San Antonio. Problem is, Speedy has never been able to stay healthy which is why no other team would sign him to be a starting point guard. He just isn't reliable.

Unfortunately, BK backed himself into a corner in the summer of 2006 to the point he had to sign a point guard and a big man. Even more unfortunately, the guys he got were Speedy, Lo Wright and Shelden. Couple those moves with his decision to retain Woodson and it is hard to imagine a worse off-season for any NBA GM.

Yep, that was a pretty awful group of signings. I think that was the first and last time BK ever bowed to the pressure that the media/fans (possibly internal people as well) put on him to bring in a PG and get defensive help. The only consolation is that they are all relatively short term deals that won't kill us forever and the only real negative is the lack of production we have gotten from the #5 pick although I still believe that Shelden can play at this level but I don't think we will see that happen in Atlanta because he looks like a broken man.

Yep, it would be nice if Speedy was healthy. And if Dominique was young again or Wilt was alive or Woody had a brain. But that's not the way life is.

We need to cut our losses (Speedy, Lo, Shelhead, Lue, etc.). Some of the proposed trades on our board are laughable when we think we can package all our garbage together for a good player.