• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

3 deals I would love to see us make

Admin

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't disagree that both of those are priorities but I believe that Curry is at the least equal to what Marvin provides in the way of rebounding which would be what would happen if Curry were to start alongside of Horford and Smoove.

So basically, you're justifying the move because it Curry's rebounding = Marvin's. Think about that.

Not to mention these problems, too:

1. You're sacrificing post defense -for- post offense, something that rarely works out.

2. Moving Smith to SF *reduces* his rebounding numbers.

3. Even if bringing in Curry doesn't decrease the Hawks' defensive rebounding, the Hawks are still 25th in defensive rebounding. What do you do then?

4. Curry's other issues are still major deterrents - doesn't pass, doesn't defend, doesn't block shots, doesn't hustle, doesn't doesn't pass - and they far outweigh any occasional easy buckets he'd bulldoze his way into.

5. The significant amount of money he's due for the next 3 years - ~$10M/year - means you lose your best offensive rebounder (Childress), and likely for nothing.

ices_rofl.gif

As I just wrote in another thread - as a Chicago fan I would do the Gordon/Childress trade in a nano-second.

Good trade for both teams - but is Atlanta willing to pony up the dollars to keep Gordon? He already turned down 5/50million, how much does he think he is worth.

It doesn't matter what he THINKS he is worth. It only matters what the market thinks.

Latrell Sprewell turned down a deal he should have taken too bC he THOUGHT he was worth more. The market spoke and he saw he made a poor and greedy decision. Now his house is in foreclosure and his yacht is being auctioned.

The market will speak to Ben Gordon too. He will be lucky to get a deal equal to what he turned down before the season....especially with the laundry list of other available free agents.

I can see a champioship level team like Phoneix, San Antonio, or Dallas chasing Chills in the off season before Gordon.

Gordon just happens to plug the hole that is sinking the Hawks ship (perimeter scoring) while Chills plugs Chicago's hole with adding size & defense to the backcourt. (Hinrich, Duhon, & Gordon are just too small a backcourt trio).

Quote:

As I just wrote in another thread - as a Chicago fan I would do the Gordon/Childress trade in a nano-second.

Good trade for both teams - but is Atlanta willing to pony up the dollars to keep Gordon? He already turned down 5/50million, how much does he think he is worth.

It doesn't matter what he THINKS he is worth. It only matters what the market thinks.

Latrell Sprewell turned down a deal he should have taken too bC he THOUGHT he was worth more. The market spoke and he saw he made a poor and greedy decision. Now his house is in foreclosure and his yacht is being auctioned.

The market will speak to Ben Gordon too. He will be lucky to get a deal equal to what he turned down before the season....especially with the laundry list of other available free agents.

I can see a champioship level team like Phoneix, San Antonio, or Dallas chasing Chills in the off season before Gordon.

Gordon just happens to plug the hole that is sinking the Hawks ship (perimeter scoring) while Chills plugs Chicago's hole with adding size & defense to the backcourt. (Hinrich, Duhon, & Gordon are just too small a backcourt trio).

It matters if he decides to take the qualifying and become Unrestricted. His team will have no opportunity to match, and he can go wherever the hell he likes. This is the same season that many teams are attempting to free up cap space for the Wades and Lebrons of the world. It's entirely possible one of those teams might go stupid and decide that if they can't get a marquee FA, that they should use their money to vastly overpay Gordon.

Gordon has already told certain members of the media that he is willing to play on the QO - if you were GM are you willing to take that risk?

• Premium Member

Guys, mudderfudder77 is absolutely right about Gordon taking the QO. That threat is what is lowering his trade value more than anything else.

FWIW, I also think this may be something Childress considers as well, if he doesn't get offer over the MLE next year.

If Gordon wants to pull an A. Varejo that is the risk you run with any player in a contract year.

Most players cave into their actual market value when push comes to shove. It easy to talk tough now.

Smith denied an extensions too. More players deny extensions then accept them. So there is that rsk in Gordon just like there is that risk with Chills or Smoove.

• Moderators

Quote:

Guys, mudderfudder77 is absolutely right about Gordon taking the QO. That threat is what is lowering his trade value more than anything else.

FWIW, I also think this may be something Childress considers as well, if he doesn't get offer over the MLE next year.

Since I don't consider Chills a long-term piece (unless Marvin is dealt or our owners are willing to spend), getting the next year and a half out of Gordon and then owning his bird rights (possible S&T or resign him if you are willing to $$) is very attractive.

Out of curiosity what would Chillz QO be ? Maybe $5.5 M ?

I do agree that a year and half out of Gordon without any longterm committment is fine.

It would gives us a full season to see whether Marvin or Gordon are worth big money as they would both be up for a new contract at the same time.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Out of curiosity what would Chillz QO be ? Maybe $5.5 M ?

I do agree that a year and half out of Gordon without any longterm committment is fine.

It would gives us a full season to see whether Marvin or Gordon are worth big money as they would both be up for a new contract at the same time.

Childress' QO is $4.8M. It's probably not enough to keep him from taking the MLE somewhere.

Gordon is a prime candidate, though.

I'd pass on all three deals. Curry would kill what little scrappyness this team has left. Gordon is gonna be overpaid for what he provides. Same with Carroll.

I'd try to move Childress for a point that would get us running or an athletic backup center. Some deal to get us Ridnour and Petro from Seattle would be great to me.