• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marvin com'n off the bench?

PureGreatness

if we can get another quality Big man to play center and move horford to his natural position at PF and put smith at SF will should alot better. Marvin, Chilldress, Acie etc can come off the bench.

I know I know "Smith is a not a power forward" but if you cant come up with a better excuse than "he cant shoot the ball very well" well marvin is one of the worst finishers in the league. i never seen someone miss so many point blank dunks. and when his jumpshot isnt fallen he is useless.

the other complaint im gonna get is "he cant guard other small forwards" which maybe true but can marvin?....my point exactly.

smith can still get you 18+ at the small forward position if his jumpshot isnt fallen. when marvin jumpshot aint going...you might as well bench him.

i dont think he is better than chilldress

Quote:

What big man could we get that would be good enough to warrant Marvin to the bench?

what exactly has he done to warrant being a starter besides being 2nd overall. He is another allan houston wannabe. The guy can only shoot the ball if his shot is off he is worthless. His body language is awful and he is the clumiest player in the entire nba.

Just silly.....not many cats in the league have made more midrange shots than Marvin this year....he is a 6'9 shooter that draws more fouls than our all star...and he game is developing.

But you make him sound like Tyron Lue.

A guy that is 6'9 and can shoot like he does, yet draw fouls like he does....well, it is impossible for that same guy to be the scrub you make him out to be.

Marvin is a ways away from a star, but please, there has got to be a little middle ground here.

Stop thinking with your emotions, lets be logical.

Quote:

Just silly.....not many cats in the league have made more midrange shots than Marvin this year....he is a 6'9 shooter that draws more fouls than our all star...and he game is developing.

But you make him sound like Tyron Lue.

A guy that is 6'9 and can shoot like he does, yet draw fouls like he does....well, it is impossible for that same guy to be the scrub you make him out to be.

Marvin is a ways away from a star, but please, there has got to be a little middle ground here.

Stop thinking with your emotions, lets be logical.

well said.. Marvin is still ways from were he could be at 21. Yet everyone seems to want to trade him before the finish product..

How is he good for one thing, when he draws the second most fouls on the team...just 9 short of leading the team!

And avgs 6 rebounds a game....and second in steals.

He can shoot, on a team that can't....or should i say couldn't, lets hope MBibby changes that.

Hey, I see the flaws in his game, but he is developing and is no where near as bad as some make him to be.

Lets just be objective and balanced.

Quote:

marvin this year is good for one thing...mid range shot.

why not bring him off the bench. he did it in college so he wouldnt mind

And that mid range jump shot is Josh Smith's biggest weakness.

Why the hell would you move Josh Smith to the 3 where he would be forced/inclined to take more perimeter jump shots?

Why the hell would you move Josh Smith to a position where defensively he would be forced to defend the perimeter a lot more often taking him away from what he does best on defense?

You would be highlighting his weaknesses and going away from his strengths.

It makes no freaking sense.

It's like telling Lebron James to chuck 10 3s a game instead of powering to the basket

It's like telling a prime Shaq to play like Rasheed Wallace.

Why the hell go away from a player's strengths?

Quote:

Quote:

marvin this year is good for one thing...mid range shot.

why not bring him off the bench. he did it in college so he wouldnt mind

And that mid range jump shot is Josh Smith's biggest weakness.

Why the hell would you move Josh Smith to the 3 where he would be forced/inclined to take more perimeter jump shots?

Why the hell would you move Josh Smith to a position where defensively he would be forced to defend the perimeter a lot more often taking him away from what he does best on defense?

You would be highlighting his weaknesses and going away from his strengths.

It makes no freaking sense.

It's like telling Lebron James to chuck 10 3s a game instead of powering to the basket

It's like telling a prime Shaq to play like Rasheed Wallace.

Why the hell go away from a player's strengths?

Shooting jumpers is not a prerequisite for playing small forward. Some SF's shoot jumpers, some slash, some patrol the baselines, some play inside, etc. etc. It's as flexible a position as they come.

Quote:

some spend to much time focusing on the negitive. we all have flaws, dont overlook the strides his made, and the fact that he is 6-9 and extra long with nothing but time to get better..

And he's the youngest player on the damn team.

He's in his 2nd year as a starter for crying out loud.

And it's not like he hasn't shown strides of improvement.

From last year to this year he has shown a lot more flashes of brilliance which is why his numbers have improved.

In terms of ranking among players of efficiency in the league

He's moved himself from the insignificant 4th page (151-200th) of efficiency ratings his first year in the league, to the borderline starter 3rd page last year in his 1st year as a starter(101-150), to now where he stands on the respectable 2nd page (51-100).

I like Marvin's chances of moving up that respectable 2nd page if not making it to the renowned first page next year (1-50th)

He may never rank among the elite of that top 25 on the 1st page, but he doesn't have to. If he gets on the page, we have enough players on this team with potential where he doesn't have to.

We don't need Marvin to be our superstar SF to make up for not having a superstar PG.

We have enough talent in the other 3 positions where we don't need an All-NBA caliber player at either one of those positions.

Quote:

I think somebody posted earlier that only Dirk and Kobe have made more mid range jumpers than Marvin this season.

and Marvin is like 12 years old.

Im sure the stat would be posted if these guys who have all these detailed stats were actually fond of Marvin.

Unfortunately most of the stats are posted in a negative way.