• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

SPEEDY WONT RETIRE

NJHAWK

I can't fault the guy for giving it everything he's got to something he's done his whole life. Only time will tell if he is able to come back or not. If he does he would likely be a trade asset. Don't know how much he's worth.

But to not give it his best shot now and wonder for the rest of his life whether he could've done it would be hell.

That really pisses me off. If he really wanted to come back he should have gotten the microfracture surgery when he was first told he needed it. Both Amare and Kidd have come back very successfully from this so there's no reason to think he couldn't as well. Now he will spend the rest of the season and offseason not having the surgery only to find out at the beginning of next year that he can't play without the surgery. It looks like we will be stuck with his contract until it runs out. Speedy is the freaking Carl Pavano of the Hawks to me frown.gif

I just dont get Speedy at all. I mean he shows almost no heart and you figure he is the kind of guy who would take the money and run. Even if he comes back and plays well for a stretch you know he will get hurt again. You also know that he has no trade value until 2009/2010 season when he is an expireing deal because even if he comes back sooner nobody is gonna take a chance on him.

It's not really that bad from a business standpoint for Speedy to stay onboard, if reports of 80% insurance coverage of his salary by the NBA are correct. And, he'll be coming off the books at just the right time to do Horford's deal. So, I say let the owners keep collecting those checks if it helps them justify this new era of spending beyond the cap. If Speedy gets himself right, then great, he will be a very useful piece and can play a role that nobody else can fill. If not, we'll be okay.

Quote:

It's not really that bad from a business standpoint for Speedy to stay onboard, if reports of 80% insurance coverage of his salary by the NBA are correct. And, he'll be coming off the books at just the right time to do Horford's deal. So, I say let the owners keep collecting those checks if it helps them justify this new era of spending beyond the cap. If Speedy gets himself right, then great, he will be a very useful piece and can play a role that nobody else can fill. If not, we'll be okay.

EXACTLY!!!!

We'd like to think that salary cap relief equals another player. We always assume that ownership is just slap-happy to spend money on improving the roster. But maybe the owners would prefer to pocket the insurance money rather than hand that salary allotment to another player. Think about it this way, the owners are getting around $5M in extra revenue from Speedy's insurance policy this season. Maybe, just maybe, that $5 is paying for the remainder of Bibby's salary this season (pro-rated for last 33 games). Maybe, just maybe, without that insurance payment, we may not have made the deal over the weekend. I don't know... I'm just saying.

It wouldn't surprise me if BK is still receiving calls from other GMs trying to get Speedy. Dude has turned into a cash cow for the owners.

I thought his salary is paid by insurance only if he indeed retire because of injury. I thionk the owners are on the hook for all his salary THIS SEASON arent they. I dont think one penny of his money has been paid by insurance this year. I could be wrong.

Do we know that he didn't have the surgery? I know he had the first surgery, came back and had another issue. I believe we never found out if he had a second surgery since last season.

I understand frustration from hawks' fans, but you can't really blame the guy. He's a competitor, and competing at basketball / rehabbing when he's injured is all he's ever done. I'm sure that he's had surgery if that's what the doctors' recommended. The guy gets paid either way, this isn't a selfish thing. It's a guy competing in the only way he knows how.

It's unlikely that he'll be much good for the rest of his contract, but I could easily see him taking the proper time to do whatever extensive surgery / rehab / rest is needed for his knees and then coming back and having some years of basketball left. I mean he's the same age as Bibby.

If you were injured and you had the possibility of getting another multi-million dollar contract after your recovery, I doubt you'd just voluntarily retire if the doctors are telling you you can recover. Especially when you're not even 30 and you (possibly??) have no idea what else you are going to do for the rest of your life.

All I'm getting at is I'm sure that he is more frustrated with the situation than anyone else. If he thought he had no chance at returning, he would have already retired and would be making the same exact money with no obligations.