• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Get to the playoffs and what.................

Wurider05

Quote:

Quote:

The youngest team in the league making the playoffs would be huge. Not only because we'd have a really young team that could be perenially playoff bound but more importantly, you gain an immense amount of confidence by going there and it can really straighten a young teams mind frame.

The youngest team in the league is Portland.

Yeah, we are no longer in the top 5 in regards to the youngest teams. Therefore that "excuse" by many fans and Woodson is outdated.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

And even if we DO make the playoffs, but get swept, a great case can be made for Woody and BK STILL being fired.

BK and Woody have not been fired by the ASG for 5 and 4 years respectively despite the worst record for any GM or coach in that time and major [censored] up after major [censored] up. The ASG somehow NEEDS more reason to fire these dumbasses and you think that "a great case can be made"...This ain't GD Marty Shottenheimer blah, blah, blah. It's the ASG.

Quote:

Let a team like Georgia somehow win the SEC tournament, and get into the Big Dance.

Now they'd have no shot at winning the tounament, and they'd probably lose that 1st round game. But the experience those freshmen, sophomoes, and juniors would get, could be built upon for next season . . regardless of whom the coach is. You could still make a good case for firing the Georgia coach.

Are you kidding me? I'm a bulldawg fan and keep CLOSE eyes on this. If Felton made the "dance" he'd get a [censored] contract extension until 2050! It's the same with the Hawks and BK/Woody!

Quote:

But I'm not going to wish against this team making the playoffs, if Woody is still the coach.

That's anti-fan to me.

No. Wanting anything that would bring about more Woody and BK is anti-fan. A blind, deaf, mute, limbless, short-bus riding fool knows the Atlanta Hawks will NEVER win anything of importance with BK as its GM and Woody as its coach.

W

Quote:

Quote:

You want loser mentality? You sound like a woman who stays with a man even though he is beating her and cheating on her. Sure, he is nice sometimes and maybe one day he will not be a good for nothing druggy/womanizer, but chances are he is not going to change. He may shine up one day a year to go to your mothers birthday party, but he will get drunk and be hitting on your underage cousin before the end of the night.

I think if missing the playoffs is the only thing that guarantees getting rid of BK and Woody then the teams long term health is better served by missing the playoffs. With BK and Woody this team is on the slow boat to mediocrity - at best.

With all due respect EDS, this is BASKETBALL, not The Young and the Restless, or some episode of Cheaters. No non-bsketball analogies can compare with making and not making the playoffs.

And even if we DO make the playoffs, but get swept, a great case can be made for Woody and BK STILL being fired.

Hell, Marty Schottenheimer got fired for losing a playoff game, even though he won 14 regular season games. So if we win 36 games, and barely squeak in, then get swept in the playoffs, the ASG should STILL pull the trigger on both guys.

But this is about the players, not the FANS expectations on where the team should be.

It's just like a bubble team that hasn't made the NCAA tournament in 8 years, finally squeaking in the big dance, but drawing a #13 seed. Let a team like Georgia somehow win the SEC tournament, and get into the Big Dance.

Now they'd have no shot at winning the tounament, and they'd probably lose that 1st round game. But the experience those freshmen, sophomoes, and juniors would get, could be built upon for next season . . regardless of whom the coach is. You could still make a good case for firing the Georgia coach.

And most of you can't even agree on what coach to bring here anyway. So it's not like some messiah coach is gonna come hre, and instantly transform us into 55 game winners anyway. If you know of one, fire Woody right now.

Even I'm for a coaching change these days. But I'm not going to wish against this team making the playoffs, if Woody is still the coach.

That's anti-fan to me.

With all due respect Mr. Northcyde, this is PROFESSIONAL basketball at the highest level, not college. These players get paid very good money to play hard every day.

And if these players care about making the playoffs then all they need to do is start playing some sound fundamental basketball, play some defense, make the extra pass, fight for rebounds, etc. Run the offense for goodness sakes!

So... Anyone else exited about the playoff race? Or do you all just want to [censored] about the Hawks all day long.

"Ooohhh, woe is me. Woody is terrible. The Hawks have no tallent. I can't watch this crap. I give up. I think I'll root for the Hornets instead."

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! WE'RE IN THE RUNNING!!! ISN'T THIS WHAT YOU WAITED 3 YEARS FOR!!!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The youngest team in the league making the playoffs would be huge. Not only because we'd have a really young team that could be perenially playoff bound but more importantly, you gain an immense amount of confidence by going there and it can really straighten a young teams mind frame.

Yeah, we are no longer in the top 5 in regards to the youngest teams. Therefore that "excuse" by many fans and Woodson is outdated.

u sure about that?

we traded 3 old guys: aj/lue/lo for 1 guy who was younger than them and signed a young jeremy richardson

what we can do is try our hardest to get the 6th seed, where we'd face orlando

we would have a shot at beating orlando and then facing detroit, where we'd maybe win 1 or 2 games unless EXTREMELY lucky or EVERYTHING fell into place

our owners would then see enough to re-sign smoove/chill and then get us a new coach to get us over the hump

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

u sure about that?

we traded 3 old guys: aj/lue/lo for 1 guy who was younger than them and signed a young jeremy richardson

It was reported in the AJC that after the trade we are again the league's youngest team. That said, it is no excuse for Woodson not taking this team to the playoffs.

I want us to make the playoffs and make as much noise as possible and then hire a legit coach.

Bear in mind, if we scare someone in the playoffs it will be a lot easier to sign a real coach because that person will believe in the future here. If we go down the tank, we definitely get rid of Woodson and probably Knight but who would want to take over?

• Premium Member

Quote:

It was reported in the AJC that after the trade we are again the league's youngest team. That said, it is no excuse for Woodson not taking this team to the playoffs.

I want us to make the playoffs and make as much noise as possible and then hire a legit coach.

Bear in mind, if we scare someone in the playoffs it will be a lot easier to sign a real coach because that person will believe in the future here. If we go down the tank, we definitely get rid of Woodson and probably Knight but who would want to take over?

To be honest the whole "youngest team" label has always felt like one of the all time biggest excuses I ever heard... I think a grand total of 2 years age difference separate like 25 of the teams in the league... Take into account the fact that most teams have old players rotting in the bench that get factored into the average age, and it becomes a pretty meaningless statistic.

If you looked at the average experience for starters then it would be relevant... but the average age of every player on your roster doesn't tell you anything about the maturity/leadership/intangibles of your team

Quote:

Damn. What a great observation. Dead on the money.

All I know is that we are better than Cleveland. With their trade their team is garbage now. They will start

West

wallly world

Lebron

Wallace

Z

West isnt a pg. Wally is soft, and Wallace and Z could possibly be the stiffest FC in the history of the NBA.

If our backcourt is clicking and healthy it is the second best in the East behind Detroit. I think that if we are motivated we could steal a series from Detroit or Cleveland.

Quote:

Quote:

To be honest the whole "youngest team" label has always felt like one of the all time biggest excuses I ever heard... I think a grand total of 2 years age difference separate like 25 of the teams in the league... Take into account the fact that most teams have old players rotting in the bench that get factored into the average age, and it becomes a pretty meaningless statistic.

If you looked at the average experience for starters then it would be relevant... but the average age of every player on your roster doesn't tell you anything about the maturity/leadership/intangibles of your team

Like Chuck Oliver said on 790 one time about the Hawks; "dont' complain about being a young team, you are a young team because you want to be!!" They wanted to be young because young players are cheap and hell 80% of the team is on rookie contracts.

• Premium Member

Quote:

get swept. I don't see the big deal about making the playoffs if you are just going to be swept. There is no team that we can beat in series because we are too predictable and too easy to beat. I am to the point where I feel that not making the playoffs would make this team better than not making it. If we squeak in some way Woody and BK is safe. Josh can ask for the max and JJ is validated. This team is [censored] right now. This team is in chaos right now. We need a coach. We could have survived with the Lue/Johnson/Law platoon manning the point. You see the two games with Bibby we look exactly the same. It is not the players because we have talent as a matter of fact we have too much talent to have a sub .500 record. We need to find a coach who knows how to coach to his players strength. There is no perfect team in the NBA everybody needs something. GET RID OF WOODY AND OUR FORTUNES WILL CHANGE. HE IS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN OVER HIS HEAD. BK HAS PUT FRIENDSHIP BEFORE THE SUCCESS OF THE FRANCHISE. HE IS MORE LOYAL TO WOODY THAN TO THE ORGANIZATION.

Once you get to the playoffs you never know what will happen. Ask Dallas about GS?

• Premium Member

Quote:

GS beat Dallas because Nellie outcoached Avery, and Avery failed to find the right adjustments.

We stand zero chance against anyone in the playoffs because Woody is incapable of making adjustments. We have the talent to shock some teams, but in a 7 game series, we might squeak 1 win out, then they'll adjust, and we won't counter it.

Nellie got the most out of his team, but it was not because Nellie outcoached Avery. GS played a style that a team like Dallas would have a hard time beating regardless of who is coaching them. I think GS swept Dallas in the regular season and the only uptempo team that Dallas had success against is Phoenix.

Dallas don't have dominant Post Bigs... so they can't force a halfcourt game. That's not a coaching error. That's a personnel error. Also, in a running game, Dallas gets beat all over the place.

Credit Nellie for getting the best out of his team and knowing the inherent weakness in Dallas' team... BUT...I don't think Avery is at fault.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Regardless of who the coach is next year, don't you think it would be good for this group of "boys" to get a feel of a playoff series.

Do you realize we have 2 players on this roster that have been to the playoffs? I won't count Craig.

These guys have to grow up somehow and at some point.

Morale is very important.... especially when you talk about re-signings!

• Premium Member

Quote:

You want loser mentality? You sound like a woman who stays with a man even though he is beating her and cheating on her. Sure, he is nice sometimes and maybe one day he will not be a good for nothing druggy/womanizer, but chances are he is not going to change. He may shine up one day a year to go to your mothers birthday party, but he will get drunk and be hitting on your underage cousin before the end of the night.

I think if missing the playoffs is the only thing that guarantees getting rid of BK and Woody then the teams long term health is better served by missing the playoffs. With BK and Woody this team is on the slow boat to mediocrity - at best.

Your example doesn't fit... not at all.

This is like a child who has never received anything on Christmas day... Well, finally daddy gets a job, it's Dec 24, he's in the toy store and daddy says " why should I get him a gift... he's not going to know what to do with it anyway."....

Quote:

Quote:

Damn. What a great observation. Dead on the money.

Are we in agreement that almost any coach other than Woody, is a "real" coach?

The only problem with that is the ownership. Would these guys actually let the contract run out on a guy who improved his record every year, culminating in a playoff appearance? I don't have any indication that they are smart enough to let him go. That would mean we would have to start the next year in the dumpster to even think about dumping Woody. That's another year gone. Also, what about Smoove? No way he stays if Woody does, no matter the money, imo.

And what confidence does an intelligent human gain from making the playoffs when they don't deserve it. I don't want players so dumb that they don't even realize they're not working or thinking hard enough, just because they made the playoffs in the East. A very strong push at the end of the season could be big for the players but idling in just won't do it. Winning record or bust, imo.