• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marvin did the right thing!!

Wurider05

His shot has been piss poor last night. So he steps it up on D and starts hitting the boards. He was aggressive. That is something that our guys need to learn. When your shot isn't falling step up the intensity on the other things. His shot is horrible right now and has been for about a month. The running system is definitely for us and Woody doesn't need to think otherwise.

I don't think it is a matter of blindness - it is a matter of fit. Marvin has the potential and has shown the ability to create his own shot. Without Bibby - the Hawks just have to have a viable second option or we score 70 points. While Marvin hasn't done it lately - he and Joe hitting their shots was the reason we raced out to 4th in the East.

WIth Bibby However - Marvin's ability to create his own shot becomes less of a need and someone who can get out on the break and grab offensive rebounds becomes more important.

I can't believe I am typing this - but Bibby, Joe, Chillz really works better for us that Bibby, Joe, Marvin as a 1-2-3. Maybe Marvin should come off the bench and provide offense when Joe and Bibby aren't in the game. Chillz hasn't shown the ability to do tha but works well without the ball.

The thing I love about Chill's game is he has been going inside fearlessly. Goes to the floor a lot, but is not afraid to take it to the hole . . . . something you NEVER SEE Marvin do. He's become one dimensional. Jump shooter and I think that hurts his game. I would think . . . . maybe hoping . . . . that it is a matter of developing his game more. He has disappeared a lot for long periods over the last several games.

Quote:

. Marvin has the potential and has shown the ability to create his own shot.

I disagree with that statement.How often have you seen Marvin create his own shot, and make it??

That's about rare as Zaza blocking a shot, or JSmith having no turnovers.

Quote:

I've seen it very often. It's a shame that some of you are so biased against him that you will refuse to acknowledge anything he does well.

Well. I watch the games, and i have not seen that very often.

Marvin has a nice jumpshot, but it has not been falling for about a month and a half.

If his jumper isn't falling he should drive but, most of the time he falls down, or gets stripped, or takes a wild shot.We have seen it over and over again.

If your are saying that creating his own shot is something that he does well, then i would question if you actually watch the games .

It's really funny that you can say things like:

"Smith can't dribble, or Childress can't shoot or Zaza can't play defense"

Noone has a problem with that.But if you say that Marvin cant do something

, then the "Marvin protection squad" comes to the rescue.

Marvin has been ice cold most of 2008 but he does get to the line. Getting to the line certainly counts as creating your own shot. Before Bibby - that was our second option for getting points outside of isolating Joe. Everything else is Junk Basketball

I will grant you that it hasn't been looking too good for Marvin lately though becuase his shot isn't falling as frequently as it used to be. To me, that is the main difference between the 14- 12 Hawks and the 22 - 30 Hawks. Joe and Marvin's shots are falling.

Quote:

that is the main difference between the 14- 12 Hawks and the 22 - 30 Hawks. Joe and Marvin's shots are falling.

I think that is a big reason....but also the first 2 months of the season we appeared to be 2-deep at every postion.Then in 2008, everyone on the bench ended up in Woody's dog house, and we became a 8 player team.

Quote:

I notice Marvin taking two 3's in the golden state game which i dont think ive ever seen from him unless the shot clock was running out. You guys think he's trying to develop a long range game now?

Good observation on your part. And he actually hit a 3 pointer in the 1st quarter, but it was taken away because they called a charge on Smoove.

I'd love to see Marvin start taking one or two 3's a game.

If he can get his mid-range stroke back, we may start winning more consistently.

By the way, did Marvin set a career high in rebounds last night? I can't remember if he's ever had a 14+ rebound night before or not.

Quote:

Quote:

I've seen it very often. It's a shame that some of you are so biased against him that you will refuse to acknowledge anything he does well.

Well. I watch the games, and i have not seen that very often.

Marvin has a nice jumpshot, but it has not been falling for about a month and a half.

If his jumper isn't falling he should drive but, most of the time he falls down, or gets stripped, or takes a wild shot.We have seen it over and over again.

If your are saying that creating his own shot is something that he does well, then i would question if you actually watch the games .

It's really funny that you can say things like:

"Smith can't dribble, or Childress can't shoot or Zaza can't play defense"

Noone has a problem with that.But if you say that Marvin cant do something

, then the "Marvin protection squad" comes to the rescue.

Even on a poor shooting night like last night Marvin was setting up to receive the ball with his back to the basket fropm about 10-15 feet out. He wasn't just shooting a bunch of jumpshots (though he missed most of the ones he made) but ratehr he was getting some good looks either over his man or off a couple of dribbles, once or twice on the running hook shot that I think he should make his signature. His reach is long enough that he very rarely gets that shot blocked.

Last night they didn't fall, but he did get to the line and he was taking more aggressive shots than the 18 foot jumper.

To say he can't create for himself at all is absurd.

To say his execution in converting those shots into made baskets has been poor lately is completely fair.

But if you honestly don't think that he can create his own shots you clearly aren't watching him play.

Quote:

The thing I love about Chill's game is he has been going inside fearlessly. Goes to the floor a lot, but is not afraid to take it to the hole . . . . something you NEVER SEE Marvin do. He's become one dimensional. Jump shooter and I think that hurts his game. I would think . . . . maybe hoping . . . . that it is a matter of developing his game more. He has disappeared a lot
for long periods
over the last several games.

Yeah, I've been seeing this also. Childress finishes around the basket extremely well on fast breaks or if he gets the ball when he cuts or off rebounds. I think that skillset is more unique in the NBA than Marvin's spot up jumpshooting and ability to clumsily drive to the hoop and get fouled/offensive foul someone. That's why I was in favor of trading Marvin for Mike Miller and Lowrey.

Saying that Josh Smith can't dribble is making an accurate statement. He can't, and that's why he is a power forward and not a small forward.

Saying that Marvin can't create his own shot is an inaccurate statement that is deeply rooted in a bias against Marvin Williams some have had ever since he was drafted. It's a false statement.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Saying that Josh Smith can't dribble is making an accurate statement. He can't, and that's why he is a power forward and not a small forward.

Saying that Marvin can't create his own shot is an inaccurate statement that is deeply rooted in a bias against Marvin Williams some have had ever since he was drafted. It's a false statement.

Josh Smith does as good of a job at dribbling as Marvin does of creating his own shot... Whenever we go one on one with Marvin, it is either: Charge, Brick, Foul... He basically barrels in with his head down straight ahead... A few times he will make a floater, a little hook or a turnaround... However, the times he does this are VERY VERY few. Mostly, he just drives in with his head down straight at his mans chest...

If we aren't getting calls, the one on one with Marvin is by far our least effective play that we run..(excluding of course, the one on ones with Zaza).

I'm sure that if we could find the statistic for what percentage of a players points come from assists that Marvin would be second on the list... Childress would be first.