Could the other Josh be odd man out?

Diesel

• Premium Member

First off, I love Josh Smith.

However, I was watching last night and Josh Smith doesn't really fit our offense. Let's be honest, he will get big offers this summer. His defense is superb but his offense is tweenerville. Could he be the odd man out.

Is there a SNT in his future?

Let's look at some possibilities:

Smoove for Thaddeus Young/Dalembert (SNT)

Smoove for Aldridge/Lafrentz.

Smoove for Oden/Lafrentz.

Smoove for Okafor.

Smoove for Miller/1st round pick.

Quote:

However, I was watching last night and Josh Smith doesn't really fit our offense. Let's be honest, he will get big offers this summer. His defense is superb but his offense is tweenerville. Could he be the odd man out.

It's all going to come down to what his asking price is? The Hawks may not be able to afford what he may be looking for. I for one, would love to see the hometown boy stay on this team for the length of his career. He is still improving and realizing his game and it's scary to think what he could do when he peaks.

What did u mean by "not fitting our offense"? How doesn't he fit?

I wouldnt touch Oden with a tean foot pole. He will be a nice role playing center if he ever plays. If the Miller you mentioned is Mike Miller I would not do that either unless the 1st round pick is the Griz pick this year unprotected and the Griz wont do that. The Aldridge deal and the Philly deals are both good ones for us. Also I would certainly watch Elton Brand to see how strong he comes back this season. A Smoove and Claxton deal for Brand would be great if he is healthy and can agree to something long term with us. I love Smoove too but if the team improves and gets a good defensive center like Dalembert along with Young or a great post scorer like Brand we have to jump all over that. I dont see Portland giving up Lamarcus but if they do Im all for it.

Quote:

Is there a SNT in his future?

Let's look at some possibilities:

Smoove for Thaddeus Young/Dalembert (SNT)

Smoove for Aldridge/Lafrentz.

Smoove for Oden/Lafrentz.

Smoove for Okafor.

Smoove for Miller/1st round pick.

I think Smith's a good fit with Bibby. They've been running a nearly unguardable pick and roll together and it's resulted in at least one alley-oop and several layup/finger roll attempts. He just needs to pass up the jumper unless it's late in the clock and keep thinking post and high percentage shots. Bibby will find him.

Plus, his shotblocking/altering results in so many turnovers and badly missed shots for easy defensive rebounds. We now have a PG who can push it and make smart decisions. That's a good combo, let's stick with it!

I'm far on the other side of being a Smith fan but even I recognize that the roles the players will have in this Bibby-led assault are not defined at this early stage. I am fairly certain that this recent success of making 3s is bound to end and we will need to have Smith's ability to make things happen in the half-court sets to have a truly diverse offense.

Regarding Smith's contract, that's another story. I think the Hawks have only won 1 game when he has socred more than 25 points this season. So I would be concerned about giving him a contract that is too rich considering his greatest value to this team is NOT as a primary scoring option. Chances are, Smith will have a more difficult adjustment to not having the ball in his hands than Joe. So these last 20 games will help the execs see if he can adapt to having a true floor general run the show. I think he can. But will he take a contract that is appropriate for an 18/8 complementary player?

Its possible that Smoove will start to be a better player with Bibby. I noticed Bibby was getting Smoove open jumpshots last night which really doesnt help because he cant shoot. Smoove needs to rebound tha ball and give it to Bibby though especially now with that brace on his hand. Im tired of the turnover circus.

It is worth our while to see how a true playoff tested PG can get out of Josh Smith. Lets face it AJ and Lue are not known as creators to get their teamates alot of easy shots. Smith is still 22. I want to see him grow with a 10 year vet like Bibby "coaching" him along. Bibby should help Smith's basketball IQ and MAKE him improve his decision making.

We would miss Smith's interior defense ALOT. We would go from a middle of the pack defensive team to one of the worst defensive teams in the league with most of those proposed trades.

Smith at 22 should improve his offense for the next 3 to 6 years before plateaus.

At 22 its not like Smith's value wil be declining any time soon. If he doesn't work out long term here, other teams would be falling off call waiting with trade offers

• Premium Member

Quote:

Its possible that Smoove will start to be a better player with Bibby. I noticed Bibby was getting Smoove open jumpshots last night which really doesnt help because he cant shoot. Smoove needs to rebound tha ball and give it to Bibby though especially now with that brace on his hand. Im tired of the turnover circus.

Smoove doesn't have it in him to not be a Sf.

He wants to slash and he wants to shoot threes.

However, a guy like Oden is interesting. He's a legit big. capable of leading a team... or at least he was thought to be the future of basketball. BUT PTL has so much talent, that they dont really need him?

I think Dalembert is decent but he doesn't have the impact on the game that Smoove does. Plus, he will be 27 soon so I don't see him getting a whole lot better. As for Young, I'd rather see Marv or Chillz on the floor so I don't know how much he would help.

If Oden were healthy, done deal but I don't know what his prognosis is.

Aldridge or Okafor MAYBE but their injury histories scare me.

Miller/#1 - If we could get Beasley or Rose, yes.

My thoughts were that we knew we weren't signing Josh when we traded for Bibby. I can't see Atlanta having three near max guys. Not for salary cap purposes but just the history of the team. I don't want to see him go but he doesn't seam to know his limitations. Why does he have to take every open look? Why does he have to run the break on his own?

Meanwhile - Childress has flurished with Bibby. I have always viewed Childress as a junk player but when you have a PG like Bibby that can open up the court with his shot and still get you the ball.... That is what Josh Smith needs to know - be patient and you will get an open look with Bibby at the point.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

My thoughts were that we knew we weren't signing Josh when we traded for Bibby. I can't see Atlanta having three near max guys.

I doub that.

Bibby only has a one year committment.....its not like he is 3 more years at his presen salary.

Yes. But you still have to pay him THAT ONE YEAR.

The ASG will never allow that. Either Bibby or Smoove goes next year.