Articles now removed from ajc.com

coachx

Here is the story:

Attempts to fire Woodson failed

Hawks GM Knight rebuffed three times by team's owners

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/28/08

Hawks General Manager Billy Knight recommended to ownership on three occasions, most recently two weeks ago, that head coach Mike Woodson be fired, two people familiar with the situation told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. That recommendation was rebuffed by team ownership.

Knight last recommended that Woodson be fired and replaced by assistant coach Larry Drew after the team traded for point guard Mike Bibby on Feb. 16 during the NBA's All-Star Weekend.

Your Turn

Who should go first -- Mike Woodson or the Hawks' ownership?

Woodson. He's had enough time to win.

The owners. They've made a lot of bad moves.

Doesn't matter at this point. They all should go.

Let everyone stay. The playoffs are within reach.

Voter Limit: Once per Hour

View Poll Results

RELATED STORIES

* Hawks still waiting prognosis on Law's wrist

* Bibby leads Hawks past his previous team

* West gets start, energizes Hawks

More Hawks coverage

Knight declined comment.

Woodson insisted Thursday that he's never been approached being fired. He was relaxing in his office after practice and said he would be glad to talk about his team and their preparations for tonight's game against New York at Philips Arena.

Anything related to his job, however, he refused to discuss.

"I'm the coach of this team until someone tells me otherwise," said Woodson, who has compiled a 91-209 (.303) record since taking over the Hawks before the start of the 2004-05 season. "I'm going to get these guys ready to play and we're going to keep plugging away at this playoff chase. Because we're right there."

The Hawks, 23-32, are currently in ninth place in the standings and a game behind New Jersey for the eighth and final Eastern Conference playoff slot.

Woodson's job security has become a greater issue since the team's 9-19 slide to start 2008.

The Hawks own the NBA's longest playoff drought, eight seasons, and are in a position to control their own destiny for a postseason berth this late in the season for the first time in nine years.

After starting this season with a promising 15-13 record, the Hawks have been unable to maintain any consistency, winning consecutive games just three times since the Christmas.

With every ugly stretch of losses, the calls for Woodson's head have grown increasingly louder, to the point that the players could no longer ignore them.

"It's been kind of hard to ignore all the talk because you know in a situation when you're not winning a lot somebody always has to go, and unfortunately it's usually the coach," Hawks captain and All-Star Joe Johnson said. "With that being said, I think everyone agrees that getting Mike [bibby] in that trade certainly helps us.

"The only bad thing is that we got him right before our West[stern Conference] road trip and that's a tough spot for anybody to be in. But now that we've got a chance to get back home and refocus with everybody on the same page, we have an opportunity to get back on track. And I don't think there's any doubt that we're a team capable of making that push to get to the playoffs."

That link still works the other link has been taken down. 2 links were originally posted.

However, if you go to the ajc.om website (without using the link on hawksquawk from earlier in the day ) and look at the sports page the article has been removed. Poof gone !

Quote:

You know, all of this news might actual explain that strange, incoherent rant that Sekou posted on his blog at 2am in the morning a few days ago. Perhaps he had just heard this news and just went ballistic? Mere speculation....

I don't think it's a coincidence at all. And it fits right in with the "weird vibes" at Phillips last night being discussed pregame. Something's been brewing, and it looks like it could be boiling over.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...ries/hawks_nba/

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...ries/hawks_nba/

Wierd ! 4:59 M look at the hawks section ajc.com and the sports page on ajc.com.....the articles are gone !

The only way to view it is by using the links posted hours ago.

Sekou Smith is being censored but it is too late. His voice has been heard. I have tried emailing link that work to the local radio stations......I hope they report on it.