• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

We all know that Chillz have limitations. He's no superstar... But he definitely brings more to the party than the stats say...

So does Marvin.

It's too bad that most Hawk fans can't appreciate both guys and what they bring to the table.

Actually, I haven't been so critical of Marvin Lately, but he's been downright sorry. Chillz may have been a lot of things this year, but Sorry isn't one of them. Marvin honestly has not progressed in any of his in game play since his rookie year. He still ducks his head and runs into people. He still sits and waits for a jumpshot. He's still Clumsy. I think Marvin can get up to the place of being servicable... but you expect more than that from the highest pick the franchise has ever made. Strangely enough, he's the same guy we passed over Deron and CP3 for.

Quote:

When he is the only true consistent low post scoring that we have,

OMG i have heard it all now.

This from the guy who says Smith isn't a post scorer. Smith posts up 10 times more than Childress.

How is leaking out on the break for an easy layup post scoring?

How is catching an airball for a follow up basket post scoring?

Childress never posts up anyone.

Quote:

Complain when he scores 25, complain when he has 6 assists and 6 rebounds... Complain when he's 11 of 12...

When did i complain when he's 11/12 for 25 points?

More importantly when have you ever complained when he's done his disappearing act like he did 3 of the last 4 games?

when he doesn't block out. Jamaal Crawford got a couple of offensive boards off 3 pt attempts because Chillz took off down the court rather than blcoking him out. I don't mind him gambling like that sometimes but he does it too often in my opinion. We are so undersized up front against most teams that I would rather see Chillz hit the defensive glass than to see him cherrypick so much.

Chillz only grabs 2.7 def. rbg and he is a much better rebounder than that. He and Marvin actually rebound at the same rate, its just that Chillz rebounds better on the offensive end and Marvin rebounds better on the defensive end. I think a lot of that is on Woody not instructing him to crash the defensive boards but some of it is Chillz too.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

When he is the only true consistent low post scoring that we have,

OMG i have heard it all now.

This from the guy who says Smith isn't a post scorer. Smith posts up 10 times more than Childress.

How is leaking out on the break for an easy layup post scoring?

How is catching an airball for a follow up basket post scoring?

Childress never posts up anyone.

So you think Smoove is scoring in the low post and Chillz is not?

Thank you for proving ONCE AGAIN that you don't watch the Hawks unless they play the Wiz!

Did you watch the NY broadcast or the Atlanta Broadcast the other night?

Quote:

He is the 6th man averaging 5RPG. That's not bad at all. He almost outrounds Marvin who plays 35MPG.

Let me simplify it for you.

Childress 2.3 offensive rebounds per game

2.7 defensive rebounds per game

Marvin 1.6 offensive rebounds per game

4.2 defensive rebounds per game

Horford 3.1 offensive rebounds per game

6.9 defensive rebounds per game

Smith 1.9 defensive rebounds per game

6.1 defensive rebounds per game

Childress has almost as many offensive rebounds as defensive rebounds. Why? Because Childress is cheating out when the Hawks are playing defense. Everyone else is staying back to play D and clean up the defensive glass.

On offense Childress is so busy hanging underneath the rim looking for offensive rebounds that he won't be in position to get back quickly on defense if the opponent gets the rebound.

Hence he is cherry picking and not concerned about the effect he is having on our defense.

Quote:

I watched the NY broadcast and Kenny Smith doesn't know the first thing about the Hawks. he kept saying we were a good offensive team but a poor defensive team. In reality we are better on D than on offense. He is clueless.

Childress doesn't post up anyone. If he did he would be scoring more in low scoring games. he is too weak to back down anyone.

he gets his points cherry picking and moving without the ball to find open spaces in the defense. he has no post game at all.

Smith posts up regularly now. He is frequently shooting jump hooks (with obviously mixed results) and trying up and under moves. While he is still a work in progress in the post at least he does post up.

You think you know his weaknesses and these other good teams that want him don't? Just like the coach needs to attack Josh Smith for his shooting too many jumpers. But, really I don't see anybody playing any defense other than Smoove blocks and Bibby takes some charges. How many charges does Marvin Williams and Joe Johnson take? How many guys has Al Horford shut down?

Really, I wonder if Childress doesn't do this alot because he knows the hawks halfcourt game sucks on the offensive end. He knows they will walk it up. Maybe not now that Bibby is here and perhaps Woody should get on him about it now.

But to claim the Childress is cherry picking and the rest of the team is playing defense is a laugh. Most of the team doesn't even try to play defense.

Quote:

Really, I wonder if Childress doesn't do this alot because he knows the hawks halfcourt game sucks on the offensive end. He knows they will walk it up.

If he knows they will walk it up then why doesn't he stay back to get defensive rebounds? Why does he leak out?

Quote:

But to claim the Childress is cherry picking and the rest of the team is playing defense is a laugh.

So why does everyone besides Childress get FAR MORE defensive rebounds than offensive rebounds?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I watched the NY broadcast and Kenny Smith doesn't know the first thing about the Hawks. he kept saying we were a good offensive team but a poor defensive team. In reality we are better on D than on offense. He is clueless.

Childress doesn't post up anyone. If he did he would be scoring more in low scoring games. he is too weak to back down anyone.

he gets his points cherry picking and moving without the ball to find open spaces in the defense. he has no post game at all.

Smith posts up regularly now. He is frequently shooting jump hooks (with obviously mixed results) and trying up and under moves. While he is still a work in progress in the post at least he does post up.

What did Spike Lee Admit?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

He is the 6th man averaging 5RPG. That's not bad at all. He almost outrounds Marvin who plays 35MPG.

Let me simplify it for you.

Childress 2.3 offensive rebounds per game

2.7 defensive rebounds per game

Marvin 1.6 offensive rebounds per game

4.2 defensive rebounds per game

Horford 3.1 offensive rebounds per game

6.9 defensive rebounds per game

Smith 1.9 defensive rebounds per game

6.1 defensive rebounds per game

Childress has almost as many offensive rebounds as defensive rebounds. Why? Because Childress is cheating out when the Hawks are playing defense. Everyone else is staying back to play D and clean up the defensive glass.

On offense Childress is so busy hanging underneath the rim looking for offensive rebounds that he won't be in position to get back quickly on defense if the opponent gets the rebound.

Hence he is cherry picking and not concerned about the effect he is having on our defense.

Or maybe it's because on defense, when we play zone, Chillz is at the top and when we're not playing Zone, Chillz is usually guarding the perimeter based guard.

You don't watch enough Hawks basketball to be in this conversation but just so that you will know... it's not cherry picking if your playing against a perimeter player and you fly on the shot. That's taught by most coaches on all levels. The run out is as much a part of basketball as rebounding.

Cherry Picking is what Nique used to do, hang back on the offensive end and wait on the ball without playing defense.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What did Spike Lee Admit?

That he was born in Atlanta (and went to school there) which apparently put his NY credentials in question. He was in town for some type of reunion which he said was boring.

I was only half paying attention to him. He had on what looked like a strange velvet black/blue jacket.

I fail to see what Spike has to do with Childress' lack of post game.

If he knows they will walk it up then why doesn't he stay back to get defensive rebounds? Why does he leak out?

Probably because he knows that they need easy scores and rarely seem to get them??? Now with Bibby there is less reason to do this. If he continues to do it at the same pace the coach should get in his @ss.

So why does everyone besides Childress get FAR MORE defensive rebounds than offensive rebounds?

Because the other guys are giving points after points inside the lane? Just because the other players are standing there on the defensive end doesn't mean they're actually playing defense. The Hawks seem to give up a ton of points in the lane. I guess it's all Childress fault.

You can use 82games.com to kind of prove your point.

When you go to Chill, and click on Player Stats, you'll see the different breakdown in the shooting numbers.

When you look at the "shot clock usage" section, you'll see that Chill takes 57% of his shots within 10 seconds of the shot clock being elasped. In other words, he's shooting 57% of the time, before the shot clock gets to 14 seconds.

I'll bet money that Chill's 57% is the highest percentage in the league, of the guys wo get playing time every game. That's an absolute ridiculous number.

The only guys that I could think of that even would come close to that number, are the guys on Phoenix ( including when Marion was there ) ans Golden St. Of that group, Monta Ellis came closest to Chill, with 52% of his shots coming before 14 seconds are gone off the shot clock. Guys like Baron, Marion, and Barbosa were in the high 40% range.

We used to have a guy on our high school team that we nicknamed "Bill Hall". Bill Hall was ( and still is ) a weatherman on one of the local stations in Nashville. Whenever it snowed, that station had what it called the "Snowbird Report" to announce the middle Tennessee counties that were closed for school.

So because the guy used to always leak out after a shot, just so he could dunk it if he received a quick outlet pass. And because another name for that is "snowbirdng", we used to call him Bill Hall.

Like Chill, he'd break his neck to get offensive rebounds, but give half of that effort on the defensive boards. LOL . . he was kind of weak defensively too. That guy was by far the best athlete on the team though, and the QB of the football team.

LOL i guess Kidd didn't get the memo about running out since he averages 6.7 defensive rebounds per game, more than anyone on our roster except Horford.

Chris Paul gets 3.3 defensive rebounds per game compared to Childress' 2.7. Lame

We don't spend much time in a zone either.

Quote:

Probably because he knows that they need easy scores and rarely seem to get them??? Now with Bibby there is less reason to do this. If he continues to do it at the same pace the coach should get in his @ss.

Because the other guys are giving points after points inside the lane? Just because the other players are standing there on the defensive end doesn't mean they're actually playing defense. The Hawks seem to give up a ton of points in the lane. I guess it's all Childress fault.

Funny how you didn't answer any of the questions.

First of all the Hawks offense has been their problem all year. Their defense has consistently been much better than their offense. In spite of their recent weakness defensively they are ranked 13th in defensive efficiency compared to 22 in offensive efficiency.

Their problem with their interior D is that they are undersized. Since they are undersized that is all the more reason for Childress to stay back and help on the defensive glass.

The fact is that Childress doesn't bother to stay back on D and hit the defensive glass. He is too busy cherry picking.

• Premium Member

Quote:

LOL i guess Kidd didn't get the memo about running out since he averages 6.7 defensive rebounds per game, more than anyone on our roster except Horford.

Chris Paul gets 3.3 defensive rebounds per game compared to Childress' 2.7. Lame

We don't spend much time in a zone either.

You mean to tell me you don't understand the difference between a drive and dish PG and a OG that leaks out???

Great Basketball analysis there scooter.

Quote:

Anyway, that's what the big men or for. To HIT the Boards. That is Horford, Marvin and Smoove's job. They're the 3/4/5 guys. Childress plays some 3, but he's more a 2/3 guy. That's one thing you also seem to forget. How many rebounds do you expect a backup 2/3 to get?

First of all Childress is playing the vast majority of his time at the 3. Secondly if he can get more offensive rebounds than any small forward in the league playing comparable minutes i would think it isn't too much to ask for him hit the defensive boards as well.