• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

GS has shown us the way...

Diesel

• Premium Member

When we played uptempo, we could compete with GS.

When we tried to slow it down to a halfcourt game, they doubled JJ, forced turnovers and bad shots.

We have too many uptempo pieces to be a halfcourt team.

The whole reason they slowed down is because they had a few unforced turnovers in the transition game early in the third.

Truth be told, you could predict the outcome just sitting there watching the game. At the end of the first half, the Hawks had shot better than they have in a long time, they were getting out and running, and playing good team ball.

But for a team that doesn't do those things that often, it was only a matter of time before they stumbled a bit. Golden State knows this game, they're good at it. Looking at their scoring numbers quarter-by-quarter....pretty darn consistent.

The Hawks played like, well, the Hawks for most of the game. I don't know who that team was in the first quarter, but the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarter scoring numbers looking more like the Hawks we know.

Against most teams that might be true but Golden State is use to playing that way all the time. JJ was visibly tired at halftime as he was seen bending over grabbing his shorts while being interviewed. Even though it is a positive for the team to run we aren't conditioned well enough to do it the whole game against a team like Golden State. Jackson hitting those 3 pointers didn't help matters this time around.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The whole reason they slowed down is because they had a few unforced turnovers in the transition game early in the third.

Truth be told, you could predict the outcome just sitting there watching the game. At the end of the first half, the Hawks had shot better than they have in a long time, they were getting out and running, and playing good team ball.

But for a team that doesn't do those things that often, it was only a matter of time before they stumbled a bit. Golden State knows this game, they're good at it. Looking at their scoring numbers quarter-by-quarter....pretty darn consistent.

The Hawks played like, well, the Hawks for most of the game. I don't know who that team was in the first quarter, but the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarter scoring numbers looking more like the Hawks we know.

I would say 1st, 2nd, and part of the 3rd... we were another team.

However, beginning of the 3rd and most of the 4th we were that same old Hawks team who struggles with halfcourt offense.

I accredit our ability to get to the free throw line as to why we were leading in the first half. However, in the 2nd Half, Woody tried twice to make us halfcourt. It ended up with stupid turnovers and downright bad offense.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yeah, and it didn't help that at the same time they're nailing threes we had a series of senseless turnovers. I think that's where it got out of hand.

Yeah, I don't know if Bibby and JJ are not in sync, but a couple of times, JJ passed to Bibby and the ball just floated out of bounds or we'd pass the ball to GS... this happened last game too.

That's what Golden State's style will get you. A first round exit in the playoffs.

You cannot completely ignore defense like that team does and expect to have a chance of winning in the playoffs. Golden State will run up against the Spurs or the Lakers, two teams that defend very well, and they will get put out of the playoffs. It's because the Spurs and Lakers defend, and the Warriors don't.

Playing up tempo basketball just for the sake of it makes little to no sense. If you want the Hawks to be successful, you better want them to get A LOT better defensively, because that's the only way this team is going to see success. That's the only way any other team is going to win in this league as well.

It's all about defense.

Quote:

That's what Golden State's style will get you. A first round exit in the playoffs.

Somebody didn't watch last year's playoffs.

Anyhow, obviously we should be playing D and pushing the ball, they are not mutually exclusive.

So are you still a die-hard BK and Woody fan?

I'm fully on board the fire Mike Woodson bandwagon right now.

I still believe Billy has done a good job. While he may get fired after the season, I think Billy has done all the hard work, and someone else is going to come in and benefit from Billy doing the tough part of the rebuilding.

EDIT: To add, I agree that playing up tempo and playing defense aren't mutually exclusive. Golden State is a team that plays NO DEFENSE though. If we want to pattern ourselves after an up tempo team, why not pattern ourselves after one that actually puts effort into their defense?

I saw what the Memphis Grizzlies did last year when they fired Mike Fratello because he wouldn't let them run. Mike knew the team couldn't defend well enough to play that style. Well, Tony Barone let them run, and the results were one of the worst defensive teams this league has ever seen. I think from the time Mike was fired till the end of the season, Memphis only held two teams under 100 points.