• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why are we so bad at defending the 3

falc82

Quote:

Well one reason we just saw on the replay as Smitty pointed out--we go under the screen. Also we do senseless double-teams resulting in a wide open shooter.

Yeah i was asking myself the whole game why are we doubling. I mean would we rather give them 2 pts or 3 each time. Why not make paul a scorer instead of trying to show and the run back to your man. I think alot has to do with coaching!

The sensless doubles come as a result of the switching we do screens. We simply switch on post screens which often leave a Mike Bibby or Josh CHildress on a Big. Once the play slows down - as it was designed to do, the other guy throws the ball into the mismatch - we double and the open man gets an uncontested three.

When the Hawks played with a little more heart - I really liked that style of d becuase it is "on ball" defense designed to actually eliminate open shooters running through multiple screens. The problem is that that the entire team has to play it. Now, I don't think it matters what style we draw up - our guys have quit playing defense for Woody.

Another reason I noticed is Josh Smith. If his man is involved in the pick and roll, (Peja last night) Josh will sag back in the lane to defend the rim after the pick, however if Peja is your guy, you can't leave him unguarded at the 3 pt line. I would think that Woody either has to go zone and leave JS low or tell him to always keep a hand on his man.

The three shot is what really put us away against Boston, Golden State, and New Orleans. It is such as valuable weapon in the NBA and you have to be committed to stopping it. I wonder why we don't put Mario West in more to lock down a perimeter guy a la Bruce Bowen. But that would require in game strategy, something we haven't had in here since Lenny Wilkens.

That's what I'm thinking.

This team has the ability to play better defense than this. They did it early in the year. When this team was 13-11 or whatever they were to start the year, they were giving up around 92 PPG defensively. Over their last ten games though, they have given up more than 108 PPG defensively. Mike Woodson is absolutely right when he says that you cannot win games in the NBA when you give up points like that. He just doesn't have a clue about how to keep teams from doing it or motivate his players to play better defense.

Quote:

The three shot is what really put us away against Boston, Golden State, and New Orleans. It is such as valuable weapon in the NBA and you have to be committed to stopping it. I wonder why we don't put Mario West in more to lock down a perimeter guy a la Bruce Bowen. But that would require in game strategy, something we haven't had in here since Lenny Wilkens.

The problem with puting west in is who do you take out? JJ? Bibby? Marvin?

In the GS game it was the penetration that was killing us. Baron or Ellis had no problem getting in the lane and when the defense collapsed there was Pietrus or Jackson ready to knock down the three. Bibby's nice and all, but we're just not going to be a good defensive team when he's on the floor. We're really gonna need Acie for this stretch run.

.....it isn't just the three point shot that we are having trouble defending. Over the last ten games, this team has defended at all. The Hawks are giving up 110 PPG over their last ten games, and teams are shooting 48% from the floor against the Hawks in that same time span. The Hawks are giving up open three pointers, open lay ups, open mid range jumpers, and are completely lost out there defensively. For whatever reason, this team has quit defending period, no matter what the shot is. It's almost like they are sending a message to the ownership saying "Look, we want a different coach."

Quote:

In the GS game it was the penetration that was killing us. Baron or Ellis had no problem getting in the lane and when the defense collapsed there was Pietrus or Jackson ready to knock down the three. Bibby's nice and all, but we're just not going to be a good defensive team when he's on the floor. We're really gonna need Acie for this stretch run.

Even when healthy Bibby has never been known for his defense. That said, Baron Davis can go to the rack on anybody when motivated.

Quote:

Quote:

The problem with puting west in is who do you take out? JJ? Bibby? Marvin?

Mario for JJ at the 2 min mark in the 1st quarter.

It doesn't matter who he replaces when we are getting lit up like we have been recently. Stopping a player from not making a basket = a player on your team making a basket. Even more when its a three point shot.

That being said - I would go with Bibby, Mario, Joe, Smooth, Horford until we get some semblance of defense going. I would also try something other than man defense every now and again.