• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Should the Hawks go after Shawn Marion?

KB21

I've been thinking about this since last night's game. Joe Johnson and Shawn Marion have a great relationship, and I believe they would love to be teammates once again. The Hawks need a guy like Shawn Marion who can defend four positions on the floor, get up and down the court, rebound, and play great offense without the ball.

With Mike Bibby at the point guard spot, having two guys on the wings like Joe Johnson and Shawn Marion that can defend will be very important.

What would it take to get Shawn Marion? I'm sure the Heat will be interested in young players, and their first choice would likely be to get Josh Smith. Would you make a trade where the center pieces in the deal are Shawn Marion for Josh Smith in a sign and trade type of package?

Heck no!! We don't need another guy who can't shoot. I would just rather do a S&T of Childress for Damien Wilkins & Johan Petro. Wilkins can easily score as many points as Childress if given more minutes, plus he can defend.

Smoove is not better than Marion right now. Josh is wildly inconsistent as a player right now. But he's young, so you'd have to figure that he'd eventually grow into a more consistent player.

- Shawn has a much better jumpshot, with good range out to the 3-point line.

- He's a better rebounder, especially on the defensive end

- He's a much better on the ball defender

- He's a lot tougher than Smoove

- Josh is a better shot blocker and can change games and alter shots with the threat of the block

- He's better at taking the ball to the hole and getting to the line.

Josh could definitely be better than Shawn. But if he's going to play PF, he has to get much tougher as a player both mentally and physically.

I like the idea of getting Marion. I see the suggestion of trading Smith. Can that happen? With Smith's contract up, can we even do an SnT with Smith for another SnT?

I would rather keep Smith and see if Marvin+others can get Marion.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I like the idea of getting Marion. I see the suggestion of trading Smith. Can that happen? With Smith's contract up, can we even do an SnT with Smith for another SnT?

I would rather keep Smith and see if Marvin+others can get Marion.

...to help the Hawks. Trading home-town hero JS for Marion seems like at best a short-term lateral move. Getting Marion through a trade of MW (without JS) is logistically impossible unless a contract like Bibby's was included making only highly unlikely. A team with JS and Marion would have certain skill-sets but lacking others and at both their likely costs the team would be strapped.

I'd just assume try and get something else for Bibby and MW.

W

I agree.

What I see in Shawn Marion is a guy who is a terrific on the ball defender. He can defend in the post and on the perimeter. When he was playing for the Suns, Mike D'Antonio actually had Marion guarding the other team's point guard at times so Steve Nash could rest on defense. When I read that, I started thinking about what Marion could do for the Hawks with a known weak defender at point guard in Mike Bibby.

I think it could work very well. Both Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson are above average defenders on the perimeter, and they can help cover up for the weaker defender Mike Bibby. Offensively, it could be a great little trio. Shawn Marion is a guy that is capable of scoring 18-21 PPG without having to demand the ball. With two guards that have the vision and passing skills of Joe Johnson and Mike Bibby, Marion's off the ball movement will create a lot of scoring opportunities in the half court set. His defense will create fast break opportunities.

I'd also consider making a deal to get Brad Miller to play center. Brad is a big body that can bang a little, but he brings the added dimension of being a good high post player.

Quote:

Smoove is not better than Marion right now. Josh is wildly inconsistent as a player right now. But he's young, so you'd have to figure that he'd eventually grow into a more consistent player.

- Shawn has a much better jumpshot, with good range out to the 3-point line.

- He's a better rebounder, especially on the defensive end

- He's a much better on the ball defender

- He's a lot tougher than Smoove

- Josh is a better shot blocker and can change games and alter shots with the threat of the block

- He's better at taking the ball to the hole and getting to the line.

Josh could definitely be better than Shawn. But if he's going to play PF, he has to get much tougher as a player both mentally and physically.

I can argue against every point you made about Marion being better than Smoove....but it would be our opinions. And despite Josh Smith's inconsistent play, he still puts up better numbers "all-around" than Shawn...how does that not equate to being better?

Quote:

I agree.

What I see in Shawn Marion is a guy who is a terrific on the ball defender. He can defend in the post and on the perimeter. When he was playing for the Suns, Mike D'Antonio actually had Marion guarding the other team's point guard at times so Steve Nash could rest on defense. When I read that, I started thinking about what Marion could do for the Hawks with a known weak defender at point guard in Mike Bibby.

I think it could work very well. Both Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson are above average defenders on the perimeter, and they can help cover up for the weaker defender Mike Bibby. Offensively, it could be a great little trio. Shawn Marion is a guy that is capable of scoring 18-21 PPG without having to demand the ball. With two guards that have the vision and passing skills of Joe Johnson and Mike Bibby, Marion's off the ball movement will create a lot of scoring opportunities in the half court set. His defense will create fast break opportunities.

I'd also consider making a deal to get Brad Miller to play center. Brad is a big body that can bang a little, but he brings the added dimension of being a good high post player.

Quick question...who have you seen him guard, where he played this terrific D? I just went thru all his boxscores. And all the guys, he could have matched up with....

I would agree if Josh would learn to quit putting the ball on the floor, resulting in a lot of turnovers, and if he would play a lot smarter on defense.

Josh could be as good as Shawn Marion, but he isn't there yet.

• Admin

Its a lateral move that looks to hurt us in the long run. If they were the same age I would jump on it but Marion has hit that point where he is going to start declining and Smith is just getting his game together.

I am not the biggest Smith fan but I don't think this trade is a good solution for us.

I completely agree that Smith plays dumb sometimes and his defense is way overrated on this board but he is learning. I see him starting to get it this year. The difference between his play this year and in years past is night and day. He needs to just learn to stop trying to make the Sportscenter pass and just make a normal pass. I do appreciate his willingness to pass. That is not something you see in every player. He just needs to be more smart about the passes he makes.

Also, he needs to learn to stop taking so many jumpshots and instead drive more (Marvin does too). He has a terrible shot and he does not have 3 point range although he thinks he does. The jump shot is something he needs to work on in the offseason.

He needs to play better d and learn from players like Bowen and Raja Bell on how to man up. He often lets his man go by so that he can block the shot. I think he has awesome timing and that is how he gets his blocks (both a blessing and a curse if you ask me because he just wants to block shots)...he also has great quickness which is how he gets his steals in the lanes. The problem is that quickness leads him to gamble to much and that allows the player to get past him when he misses the steal. I think the top defenders on our team are Horford, Chil and West. Smith could learn a thing from these guys too.

His post moves which were non existant last year but this year that are really improving. I think his work with Hakeem in the offeseason has really helped him. He is still raw down in the post but that will come.

Josh needs to also work on his ball handling but that has also improved. With the way he is improving and Marion about to decline I would not do the trade.

Shawn Marion is a guy that is capable of scoring 18-21 PPG without having to demand the ball.

He was... But his scoring has been dropping off the last few years. His scoring when down to 15PPG with the Suns and has went down slightly more with Miami so far. He was also a decent 3pt shooter for a few years, but that percentage has went down for a few years. He has alot of mileage on his legs also.

Actually, Al's jumper has look pretty well lately.

Quote:

Josh has the potential to be a better Marion, but he won't get there until he starts playing smarter and learns to defend better on the ball.

Agreed.

That said, I am not sure it makes sense to go after Marion if it means losing Josh Smith. At the end of the day, JJ, Marion, Horford and Bibby isn't enough to win a championship (it is not as good as Nash, Marion, Amare, etc.). If the Hawks could somehow make the money work and trade Marvin for Marion, that would be something to seriously consider as it would significantly strengthen the small forward position for the Hawks.