• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

tonight's game- a fan's view

frosgrim

• Premium Member

Quote:

Marvin won't be able to do dead lifts much during the season but if he isn't doing them now he needs to start this offseason.

Marvin needs to develop moves that can get him in position to score.

Post up moves, runners, pull up jumpers... that is the only way he will become a considerably better player.

As of now I don't see him ever being a go to guy... hopefully he can become a great starter.

JJ is MUCH bigger and stronger than he was as a rookie. It is obvious that he has worked on his body but some of that is just him maturing into a man.

As for Smoove, I disagree. I think he is going to have to battle to keep his weight down as he gets older so that he can maintain his athleticism. His frame is pretty sturdy and I think he will be a solid 245 in no time even if he tries to keep his weight down.

Horford is another one who is going to get a lot bigger and stronger. I see 255-260 in his future.

Chillz will likely always be slender but I think he is already a good bit stronger than he was as a rookie.

I think Marvin will learn to take contact better but I also agree with your point that he needs to learn to shoot over players rather than trying to initiate contact. That play where he got an offensive foul last night while trying to muscle Harris was so unnecessary. Just elevate and shoot over him when you are that close to the basket.

Quote:

JJ is MUCH bigger and stronger than he was as a rookie. It is obvious that he has worked on his body but some of that is just him maturing into a man.

As for Smoove, I disagree. I think he is going to have to battle to keep his weight down as he gets older so that he can maintain his athleticism. His frame is pretty sturdy and I think he will be a solid 245 in no time even if he tries to keep his weight down.

Horford is another one who is going to get a lot bigger and stronger. I see 255-260 in his future.

Chillz will likely always be slender but I think he is already a good bit stronger than he was as a rookie.

I think Marvin will learn to take contact better but I also agree with your point that he needs to learn to shoot over players rather than trying to initiate contact. That play where he got an offensive foul last night while trying to muscle Harris was so unnecessary. Just elevate and shoot over him when you are that close to the basket.

JJ has put on maybe 10 pounds in 7 years.

Metabolism slows down when a guy gets in his 30s but that isn't going to effect Smith much now. He has tried very hard to put on weight and said this past summer that he wasn't comfortable with it and felt better at 235.

Marvin is just a weak guy. He can't take contact and is pretty clumsy. I don't see any amount of weight training changing that.

I thought that was the whole point of him taking his core, or pilates, classes. The lower back is part of your core. Let's face it. We can hope Marvin can become a real #2 pick all we want. The fact is MARVIN doesn't want to become a #2 pick. That's from the horses', er ducks', mouth.

Most draft profiles for JJ said that he need to mature and get stronger coming out of college to reach his potential. He is now one of the strongest SGs in the league.

JJ's clutchcity.net profile:

College: Arkansas

Height: 6'-8"

Weight: 220

Class: Sophomore

Birth Date: June 29, 1981

HomeTown: Little Rock, AR

NBA Comparison: Lamar Odom

Clutchcity.net Notes on Joe Johnson

Talk about stock rising. Joe Johnson has seen his status elevate from just a plain old first rounder to a lottery pick. Some mock drafts have him going as high as the top 6 or 7 players! Johnson is an impressive player with loads of talent and athleticism. Averaged 14.2 points and 6.4 rebounds per game last season, his sophomore campaign, at Arkansas. Like Odom and Penny Hardaway, Johnson can do a lot on a basketball floor. He still has a lot to learn but he is young and has plenty of time to grow. Whoever gets him will have a versatile young player who has the potential to dominate for years.

Strengths of Joe Johnson

To use baseball speak, Johnson is a five-tool player. He can shoot, pass, handle the ball, rebound and play defense. His athletic skills have nowhere to go but up. Besides the nasty vertical, you can add good body control and terrific court vision to his range of physical skills.

Weaknesses of Joe Johnson

He is still a very young guy and will need time to mature. It is likely that he will need two or three seasons to reach maturity and probably can't be counted on for star status anytime soon. He will need to get into the weight room if he wants to bang in the NBA.

Johnson on the Rockets?

No question Johnson will get a look from the Rockets if he is still available when they pick. He has the size, skills and shooting touch to be a serious player. He fits the small forward bill for the Rocks perfectly. Johnson would make an excellent compliment to Francis and Mobley. In particular, his ball handling skills could free them up offensively and those three running the floor has Sportscenter written all over it. Keep an eye on this one.

JJ's nbadrat.net profile:

NBA Comparison: Penny Hardaway

Strengths: Only a given few have the ball skills that Johnson possesses at 6-9. Penny Hardaway (6-7), Lamar Odom, and Magic Johnson come to mind. Has very good vision and passing skills. Great intangibles. Has that certain feel for the game that the great ones have, knows where to be, what to do. Great shot, handle, passing, vision, confidence.

Weaknesses: Must get stronger, learn the game. Entering just his sophomore season, Johnson still has alot of basketball to learn. Must stay aggressive.

As for Smoove, he was only 221 when he was drafted and he is already 235 at 22. I think he is going to be surprised at how much bigger and stronger he gets.

Chillz was 196 and is now 210.

Marvin was 228 when he was drafted and he is probably a little over 230 now. He doesn't have Smoove's frame but I still think he will get a lot stronger over the next few years.

Quote:

As for Smoove, he was only 221 when he was drafted and he is already 235 at 22.

Smith was drafted straight out of HS. JJ was drafted as a sophmore.

This is then end of Marvins 3rd year in the NBA. You are comparing him to Smith and JJ months before their rookie years. That simply isn't a valid comparison.

Not everyone responds to weight training the same way. Some guys can make gains easily while others can't. Childress isn't going to suddenly get bigger and stronger and i believe Marvin falls into the same camp.

It may take him longer than it will take Smoove to fully develop. JJ certainly didn't develop overnight either but look at him now. It is going to take some work but I think Marv has the frame to get bigger.

As for the comparisons, I am NOT comparing Marv NOW to Smoove and JJ as rookies but I AM comparing him now to JJ in his 3rd year and to Smoove in his 3rd year. I think Marv compares favorably to both of them from a physical strength standpoint at that point in their careers.

As for Chillz, the dude has put on nearly 15 lbs since he was drafted but I don't see him getting much bigger than he is now. He can certainly continue to get stronger though and I think he has done that.

Quote:

As for the comparisons, I am NOT comparing Marv NOW to Smoove and JJ as rookies but I AM comparing him now to JJ in his 3rd year and to Smoove in his 3rd year. I think Marv compares favorably to both of them from a physical strength standpoint at that point in their careers.

I would say you are definitely in the minority there. Smith could take contact better as a rookie than Marvin does now.

Some guys just aren't going to get that much bigger. Reggie Miller was still a string bean at 40. I am sure Dallas fans have been saying for years that Dirk will become a beast down low once he gets stronger. The reality is no amount of weight lifting will change the fact that Dirk is soft. Ditto Marvin.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Woodson is not the problem. Clearly if the players step up, we win. Following the instructions prepared by the coaches are vital. These players are still immature. JSmith gets the rebound and thinks he is Magic. Marvin stands like his feet hurt and forgets he is actually on the court. Zaza has to be reminded that he is the biggest guy on the court.

These guys are not yet good enough to ever coast. They have to play with their minds and bodies 100% every possession, every defense. It is what Woodson has said, it is what Bibby says. JJ has stepped up which is paramount. Hawks gotta play over their heads until that level is the norm.

]

You can't dismiss Wood that easily. Other teams go in at the half and come out with a better gameplan.

The Hawks don't.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yes, that's exactly what I was talking about. As far as Marvin goes he will never be good at taking his man off the dribble, he just doesn't have that quick first step. I think he can be good at backing his man down in the post and shooting a fade away jumper. He has had a little success when doing that or just facing his man up taking a few Jab steps and shooting the jumper.

Sorry Blunt.. But Marvin's Back has never seen the basket. It wouldn't know the basket if it hit him.

Quote:

I thought that was the whole point of him taking his core, or pilates, classes. The lower back is part of your core. Let's face it. We can hope Marvin can become a real #2 pick all we want. The fact is MARVIN doesn't want to become a #2 pick. That's from the horses', er ducks', mouth.

There's a big difference between taking a pilates class and doing 225-315 lb Roman Deadlifts.

You can tell who's serious @ the gym by this exercise alone. Nobody wants to do them, not even the guys that lift 5 days a week.