• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rumor::Carlisle may be headed to Hawks

pimp

Quote:

As i understand it Carlisle is a slow it down/ controlling type of coach. I don't see him being a good fit here.

Look at it differently. It's ok to be controlling if you're right. He would be a major upgrade in knowledge and attitude at the position. He's not a beat down lifer. He's an energetic lifer. He likes to win. He tries really hard to. Winning is something Woody just sees as a possibility.

Personally, I've never seen us as a running team anyway. We don't have tremendous finishers and not much shooting.

Besides, that would be a welcome problem. I would love to find out if he could hold us back from 50 wins. This team would easily be near or above .500 with him.

Quote:

Quote:

As i understand it Carlisle is a slow it down/ controlling type of coach. I don't see him being a good fit here.

Look at it differently. It's ok to be controlling if you're right. He would be a major upgrade in knowledge and attitude at the position. He's not a beat down lifer. He's an energetic lifer. He likes to win. He tries really hard to. Winning is something Woody just sees as a possibility.

Personally, I've never seen us as a running team anyway. We don't have tremendous finishers and not much shooting.

Besides, that would be a welcome problem. I would love to find out if he could hold us back from 50 wins. This team would easily be near or above .500 with him.

If your frontcourt is undersized you need to get out and run. Smith and Horford can generally beat their men down the court easily.

Playing a slowdown game with an undersized frontcourt just won't work.

Of course at this point i would prefer Harry the Hawk coaching as opposed to Woody.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If your frontcourt is undersized you need to get out and run. Smith and Horford can generally beat their men down the court easily.

Of course at this point i would prefer Harry the Hawk coaching as opposed to Woody.

I agree....The majority of the team already stated that they feel they can play better when their out running...were not a slow it down type of team lets try to get somebody from the Suns or Warriors organization who know the up-tempo offense.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree....The majority of the team already stated that they feel they can play better when their out running...were not a slow it down type of team lets try to get somebody from the Suns or Warriors organization who know the up-tempo offense.

Del Harris is the best of all worlds.

He's uptempo.

He's low post oriented (when that comes around).

He's won a championship.

He's been coach of the year.

He's international.

He's the best kept secret among teams...

If I'm going with a defense first, half court type guy, might as well go with Larry Brown. No Rick Carlise or Scott Skiles for me.

It will also be interesting to see what happens with Avery Johnson in DAL if the Mavs don't get to the finals. If Cuban goes in a different direction, I think he would be an interesting fit.

and his players never seemed to really enjoy playing for him. Guys like Carlisle and Skiles are good short term guys but they tend to wear out their welcome. With Smoove and Chillz both in contract years and with Marv eligible for an extension, I'd rather have a guy the players enjoy playing for who also coaches the style of game that plays to their strengths (uptempo).

• Premium Member

Quote:

Rick would be a great coach for this young team. I think what happen in Indy has tarnish people view of him for some reason. He is still a very good coach.

I think Carlisle is a good coach (not a great one) when he has a low post scorer and good defensive pieces. However, I don't think his slow it down style of offense is suitable for these Hawks. Slowing it down to a half court game...exposes every weakness we have.

I disagree.

It seems a lot of people on here want a coach that will come in and install some type of up tempo system. I say who? Who is available that will come in and install an up tempo style that supposedly fits these players better that will also focus on improving the team's defensive play?

Because playing defense is the key to winning and getting into position to be a championship contender. I understand that playing up tempo and playing defense are not mutually exclusive styles, but there aren't many up tempo coaches in the NBA that focus on playing defense. The last up tempo team that was a really good defensive team was the Seattle Supersonics under George Karl, and that was the reason they went to the finals.

Everyone wants to go up tempo it seems, but look at the best teams in the league. Boston, Detroit, San Antonio, Los Angeles Lakers......they are the best because they defend. Don't think for a minute that the reason the Celtics have the best record isn't because they hold teams to 90 PPG.

Larry Brown and Rick Carlisle would be two of the top 3 coaches on my short list, with the other being Mike Fratello. All three stress defensive play, and that's what the Hawks need, IMO.