• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Does anyone realize how devastating that loss was?

capstone21

• Admin

we should have won that game but by losing it, not only did we miss out a chance at a 2 game cushion for the 8th spot but we let NJ tie us and gave them the tie breaker if we have the same record at the end of the season. We also let Chicago get closer. That loss last night might have very well cost us a chance at the playoffs since we now have to have at least one more win then NJ.

It very much seems like a 2 game loss. Could have been 2 games up and now it's tied. They Hawks don't deserve the spot since they lost that game anyway. They don't give a damn about making the playoffs. That's obvious. I guess they want to look bad on the season and say they accomplished nothing.... Because that is what has happened now.

Quote:

we should have won that game but by losing it, not only did we miss out a chance at a 2 game cushion for the 8th spot but we let NJ tie us and gave them the tie breaker if we have the same record at the end of the season. We also let Chicago get closer. That loss last night might have very well cost us a chance at the playoffs since we now have to have at least one more win then NJ.

Devastating? give me a break. There are 14 games on the schedule and this loss on the road is devastating?

You guys cry like chicken littles.

that loss was Hardly devastating. Get a grip.

That said, I hoped we would win but as Northcyde pointed out before the game, what were the odds of us winning 3 road games in a row when we had only won 7 road games ALL SEASON prior to this latest road trip?

We are a MUCH better home team than road team and we have 8 remaining home games versus 6 road games. Conversely, NJ has a 6 home games and 8 road games remaining in addition to a tougher schedule.

The bottom line is that last night's win would have been HUGE for momentum's sake but it was certainly not the end of the world. If we can go 6-2 in our last 8 home games and beat MEM, NY and MIA on the road, I think we get in with a 38-44 record.

Quote:

....Devastating? give me a break. There are 14 games on the schedule and this loss on the road is devastating?

Agreed Swat...figured we'd lose that game. The key game (to keep us in the playoff hunt IMO) was the previous win on the road.

Quote:

Quote:

Devastating? give me a break. There are 14 games on the schedule and this loss on the road is devastating?

Swatguy, are you kidding me? You tunnel vision guys clearly outweigh the big picture ones. We had a chance to put two, not one, full game between us and NJ last night for that slowly 8th spot in the playoffs. Have you seen us play recently? Do you know how inconsistent we are, even against bad teams? The battle for that last spot has been very contentious. With so few games left, and our radically inconsistent play, the Hawks HAVE to win games like this. It's not like we were playing the Jordan-led Bulls. We were up by 10...10 at halftime! So don't give me that crap about how it was "hardly devastating." If you wanna make a push for the playoffs playing like the Hawks have, a loss like this is VERY devastating. Period.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Swatguy, are you kidding me? You tunnel vision guys clearly outweigh the big picture ones. We had a chance to put two, not one, full game between us and NJ last night for that slowly 8th spot in the playoffs. Have you seen us play recently? Do you know how inconsistent we are, even against bad teams? The battle for that last spot has been very contentious. With so few games left, and our radically inconsistent play, the Hawks HAVE to win games like this. It's not like we were playing the Jordan-led Bulls. We were up by 10...10 at halftime! So don't give me that crap about how it was "hardly devastating." If you wanna make a push for the playoffs playing like the Hawks have, a loss like this is VERY devastating. Period.

Allow me to acquaint you with the definition of the word "Devastating".

1 to bring to ruin or desolation by violent action

2 to reduce to chaos, disorder, or helplessness : overwhelm

Now, by that definition, the season is over. there is no reason to play the games much less watch them. Because by definition it is ruined. There is no way to regroup it is hopeless. Lock them out of locker room because it is so devastating.

So you of your "big picture", have clearly recognized that this season (devastating) is over.

For me I'll wait a few more games before claiming devastation.

Like I, an Emory scholar, need to know the DENOTATION of the word devastation.

Since you missed it, my whole point wasn't the definition of devastation, it was about how you are making that loss out to be. I don't care which of the myriad of definitions of the word devastation you use, the fact that you underscore that loss to such a degree proves to me that you don't really understand the gravity of the loss.

THAT'S what I was getting at.

It's just a loss. the standings do not differenciate between "devastating" and "non-devastating". The only place it really hurts us is in a tie breaker. NJ is playing

Denver tonite, so we will probably be back in that 8th spot on Sat morning. If we

win on the same day that NJ loses, then it will erase the effects of that game we lost to

them.

• Premium Member

Quote:

That said, I hoped we would win but as Northcyde pointed out before the game, what were the odds of us winning 3 road games in a row when we had only won 7 road games ALL SEASON prior to this latest road trip?

We are a MUCH better home team than road team and we have 8 remaining home games versus 6 road games. Conversely, NJ has a 6 home games and 8 road games remaining in addition to a tougher schedule.

The bottom line is that last night's win would have been HUGE for momentum's sake but it was certainly not the end of the world. If we can go 6-2 in our last 8 home games and beat MEM, NY and MIA on the road, I think we get in with a 38-44 record.

Well,

with that thinking...

Why go to the playoffs?

We will be a road team.

We will have to win at least 1 game away from home. That's in each round.

Quote:

with that thinking...

Why go to the playoffs?

We will be a road team.

We will have to win at least 1 game away from home. That's in each round.

Because anything can happen once we get into the playoffs. It's a whole new season....the crowds will be huge...the excitement level high....guys will get up for these games a lot more.

Lets get there and see what happens!

Right now, I just hope we MAKE the playoffs. I don't care if we go 8-0 at home and 0-6 on the road as long as we get in. This team needs to experience the playoffs so that they will understand what JJ and Bibby have been trying to tell them about playoff intensity.

The reality is that while anything is possible, the odds of us beating a BOS or DET in the first round is like 1,000,000 to 1. We are simply not good enough yet to be a serious contender for a championship. Still, just getting to experience the playoffs should keep these guys motivated and fuel their desire to get better in the offseason.

Quote:

Exactly.

And I think you're right on the mark with that 38 win total. If we win the games that we're SUPPOSED to win, we'll be in that 8th spot at the end.

Like you, I'm more worried about giving away games against Memphis and the Knicks on the road, and the Chicago game at home. Losing against Jersey is not a game I'm overly worried about. It was much more of a must-win game for them, than it was for us.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It's just a loss. the standings do not differenciate between "devastating" and "non-devastating". The only place it really hurts us is in a tie breaker. NJ is playing

Denver tonite, so we will probably be back in that 8th spot on Sat morning. If we

win on the same day that NJ loses, then it will erase the effects of that game we lost to

them.

It hurts because two days ago we were in control of our own destiny... That is no longer the case... In a single day there was a THREE game swing in the standings. (from two games up to one game down)... If you don't see this as extremely significant you are in denial.

If we finish the season with the same record as New Jersey we are toast... Considering we have had similar records for the last two weeks that is a serious posibility.

That game was important but once again, we are in the 8th spot by half a game after NJ's loss to DEN last night.

Since we struggle so much on the road, winning at home is the key to us making the post season. If we can go 6-2 at home and beat MEM, NY and MIA on the road, I think we will get in.

• Premium Member

Quote:

That game was important but once again, we are in the 8th spot by half a game after NJ's loss to DEN last night.

Since we struggle so much on the road, winning at home is the key to us making the post season. If we can go 6-2 at home and beat MEM, NY and MIA on the road, I think we will get in.

Let's hope so man.

• 2 weeks later...