• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson looking a lot like a WINNER lately...

bumpyphish1

Not just a good player, but a WINNER. JJ really seems to be coming into his own lately. He looks comfortable in his skin more than I have seen since he was a Hawk - post-game interview with Verrett was a good example. And, his play on the court just seems to exhibit much more enthusiasm lately. He used to appear to get frustrated and his effort on defense would slip for a few plays, for example. Now, he really looks like he believes in the team and is doing everything he can, playing like every play matters. It really is a joy to watch. Shame on all the "trade JJ" people. And, with this change in Joe has been reflected by a similar change in this team - they are playing their best ball in the Woodson-Knight era right now. Bibby has been a godsend to this team.

On a side note, I'm not sure I like the idea of Woody and Joe going out to dinner and developing repoire. Woody is trying to snake himself into an extension. I gotta say though, Woody has not been bothering me so much lately...blasphemy, I know. We appear to actually run thought-out plays on offense now, weird.

JJ has been playing like an All Star the past 10 games or so, but he played like crap the first 2/3 of the season. Let's hope Joe keeps this high level of play up for the remainder of the season. After all, the Joe of the past 10 games is the Joe we have been used to.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Not just a good player, but a WINNER. JJ really seems to be coming into his own lately. He looks comfortable in his skin more than I have seen since he was a Hawk - post-game interview with Verrett was a good example. And, his play on the court just seems to exhibit much more enthusiasm lately. He used to appear to get frustrated and his effort on defense would slip for a few plays, for example. Now, he really looks like he believes in the team and is doing everything he can, playing like every play matters. It really is a joy to watch. Shame on all the "trade JJ" people. And, with this change in Joe has been reflected by a similar change in this team - they are playing their best ball in the Woodson-Knight era right now. Bibby has been a godsend to this team.

On a side note, I'm not sure I like the idea of Woody and Joe going out to dinner and developing repoire. Woody is trying to snake himself into an extension. I gotta say though, Woody has not been bothering me so much lately...blasphemy, I know. We appear to actually run thought-out plays on offense now, weird.

As long as we win I don't give a flying crap who the coach is... as long as we win. (let's hope we can continue doing so)

Joe looks like he can taste they playoffs... let's hope he can get us there.

Quote:

On a side note, I'm not sure I like the idea of Woody and Joe going out to dinner and developing repoire.

Maybe JJ is planning on Woody poisoning Woody, so that he'll miss the Chicago game.

poison-apple.gif

But , really JJ has been outstanding since we landed Bibby.

I hope the Hawks can make the playoffs, so a national audience can see how good he is.

Go ahead, double team JJ. Someone will make you pay!

Can't leave Bibby wide open for the three. Can't let Josh C. just hang around the

inbound lane without coverage. Leave the lane wide open? Josh S. and Horford

will drive and score. Marvin can hit the long jumper.

Bibby, setting up the offense is the difference.

No more, give the ball to JJ and stand around and see what happens.

That was what was killing JJ and the Hawks.

And, JJ is HOT now. Now he is showing emotions more than ever. This

is his leadership coming thru. I like the JJ we have witnessed recently.

Now, he's really playing like an allstar!!!

Well, let's hope the Goe Joe offense is dead, because even when Bibby got here, the Goe Joe offense was in full force.

It is awesome to see JJ on fire. Teams will have to respect his shot more which will leave others to knock shots down (like tonight).

I don't know who the "driver" was behind the Bibby trade...but let's face it...we traded a 5th pick who was doing nothing much and a bunch of dime-a-dozen guys for a real PG. Now that BiB has gotten healthy and more comfortable in his new digs he is doing much better. I'll give him the first five or six games since he was almost immediately hobbled with the heel injury.

That said, BK cannot get a free pass for drafting mistakes...especially Shelden. You can't suck a whole year and get the 5th pick in the draft only to replace him the next year with a "no-brainer" and then get credit. Granted the "no brainer" has worked out much better than most expected. Still, no credit BK - it wasn't a hard decision.

P.S. - anybody who thinks Marvin should be starting over JC is pretty much insane IMHO.

P.S.S. - Go Joe and Go Hawks!

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't know who the "driver" was behind the Bibby trade...but let's face it...we traded a 5th pick who was doing nothing much and a bunch of dime-a-dozen guys for a real PG. Now that BiB has gotten healthy and more comfortable in his new digs he is doing much better. I'll give him the first five or six games since he was almost immediately hobbled with the heel injury.

That said, BK cannot get a free pass for drafting mistakes...especially Shelden. You can't suck a whole year and get the 5th pick in the draft only to replace him the next year with a "no-brainer" and then get credit. Granted the "no brainer" has worked out much better than most expected. Still, no credit BK - it wasn't a hard decision.

P.S. - anybody who thinks Marvin should be starting over JC is pretty much insane IMHO.

P.S.S. - Go Joe and Go Hawks!

Marvin looks pretty much exactly like the player he was three years ago... How people are still high on him is beyond me.

Quote:

Where was Childress against NJ? He was on the floor for 33 minutes but you wouldn't know it if it wasn't for his sorry defense. 8 pts and 1 rebound in 33 minutes against NJ. He only had 6 pts in 33 minutes last night.

Sure looks like starter material.

Man you are a serious Childress hater. You are starting to sound like Walter lately with these anti-Childress posts. It's not all about stats!! Anyone who watched the game last night could see the impact that Childress was having, especially on the glass where even if he didn't get the rebound he either tipped it or at worst forced Orlando to keep someone on him. Why is it that most games we play the other teams announcers talk about how disruptive Childress is and the impact that he makes on the game and if they can see it and most of us can see it then why can't you see it? Now I suspect you will go to 82games.com and pull some obscure stat to show how Childress is a horrible player but no stat is going to convince me of what my eyes see and that is Childress making a huge difference out there.

Quote:

especially on the glass where even if he didn't get the rebound he either tipped it or at worst forced Orlando to keep someone on him.

Last night was one of the few times all season that Childress actually made an effort on the defensive glass, grabbing 7 deffensive rebounds. I would like to see more of that (he only had 1 rebound total against NJ).

However when he hits the defensive glass then he won't get his usual runout baskets. That is why he only scored 6 pts in 33 minutes. He can't do much in the half court offense.

Quote:

Did you watch that Nets game? You know... just wondering. fryingpan.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Did you watch that Nets game? You know... just wondering. fryingpan.gif

Yeah, I watched most of it, but what are you referring to?

I love the fact that he had 7 def rebounds last night. If this team is going to win consistently, it is going to be more about defense than offense so Chillz def rebounds mean FAR more than his run out baskets do. Make teams EARN points every time down and don't give then easy points by being out of position. Holding an offensively talented team like ORL to 90 pts shows that we CAN play D if we do the right things.

Quote:

I love the fact that he had 7 def rebounds last night. If this team is going to win consistently, it is going to be more about defense than offense so Chillz def rebounds mean FAR more than his run out baskets do.

I agree. That is what i have been saying for the last two weeks.

But i know one thing for sure. If Marvin had played 33 minutes and scored only 6 points nobody would care how many rebounds he had. It would be "Marvin isn't aggressive enough, he has no heart.....etc".

There is a major double standard going on with some here concerning Marvin and Childress. Frankly i am not a big fan of either.

You seem to be one of the few who does have a double standard because you constantly complain about Childress, there never seems to be any praise but you defend Marvin. Sure there are a handful of Marvin haters here but the majority of the fans complain/praise each player equally when they deserve it.

Quote:

Sure there are a handful of Marvin haters here but the majority of the fans complain/praise each player equally when they deserve it.

You haven't been posting much before the last few months but i can say definitively that marvin has gotten more hate since he has been here than any other player by far.

Just look at the posts about Marvin from this past summer when the story came out about him going to summer school. Guys were all over him.

I have given Childress plenty of credit in the past but now i am just tired of watching him play and want him gone.

Oh I am well aware of all of the anti-Marvin posts, I wasn't posting much when I was going through my divorce last year but I was still reading the board. Those posts were highly annoying but a lot of those people that were down on him have praised him as well at times. I'm sure you have praised Childress in the past but lately you have been on a Walter/Diesel type of anti-Childress posting spree.

Quote:

But i know one thing for sure. If Marvin had played 33 minutes and scored only 6 points nobody would care how many rebounds he had. It would be "Marvin isn't aggressive enough, he has no heart.....etc".

Marvin must score to be effective. He just doesn't bring anything else to the table.

Childress can impact the game by keeping our offense moving and setting people up.

The only thing Marvin does better than Childress really is defensive rebound. Childress is a better ball handler, better defender, better offensive rebounder, and better passer.

Oh yeah, and this.

Marvin's points/shot: 1.27

Chill's points/shot: 1.61