• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Nice Sekou article

coachx

i said this for awhile...these players need consistent minutes to produce better

look at zaza lately compared to earlier when he was getting inconsistent minutes...he is playing better and producing more points and rebounds...same will happen with acie (and has this year but he gets injured every time) as he gets more and more games in a row with consistent playtime

u can't expect guys like zaza/solomon/shelden/jrich/mario to perform well and produce big when they get such inconsistent minutes

Quote:

i said this for awhile...these players need consistent minutes to produce better

look at zaza lately compared to earlier when he was getting inconsistent minutes...he is playing better and producing more points and rebounds...same will happen with acie (and has this year but he gets injured every time) as he gets more and more games in a row with consistent playtime

u can't expect guys like zaza/solomon/shelden/jrich/mario to perform well and produce big when they get such inconsistent minutes

QFT Nick

Got to give guys regular playing time or they get stale on the bench. A shooter needs to be in games nightly or he looses his touch. Practice doesn't get it. Plus, they don't practice daily- too much travel and too many CBA restrictions.

Woodson needs to look around at other coaches and see how they manage a roster. Bobby Cox for his "faults" is a master at keeping players fresh. He moves guys in and out of the lineup to make sure they are ready in case they are needed.

One of the problems Woodson has is that he takes the "one-game-at-a-time" notion too seriously. That approach is right for a player, but wrong for a coach. A coach has to think in longer terms. I would bet Woodson is a lousy chess player because he is reactive and not proactive in his thinking. The NBA season is a chess match. You have to see that the games create a whole. Sometimes you have to use your pawns (bench) to protect your power pieces. Woodson just doesn't get this.

• Premium Member

Quote:

What you say seems like it would generally ring true... However, I kind of disagree that this is the case for our bench...

Our bench is terrible not because they don't get minutes, but because they are terrible. Zaza has played well recently, but he was flat out ABYSMAL for most of the year, and it's not like his playing time has seen a sudden sharp increase, he is averaging what in the last four games? 4-5 more minutes than normal... Zaza's play has nothing to do with playing time... it has to do with Zaza. (If anything his playing time has increased because of his play... It wasn't until the Orlando game, his first decent game in a million years, that his playing time started to see an increase... so I don't know how you could deduce that his minutes led to production, when it has clearly been the opposite in his particular case)

Shelden is an absolute bum... not even a Sacramento team that has no prayer to make the playoffs can he steal a few minutes... He will never be more than a 15 minute a game 10th man... Maybe at one point he will become a 20-25 mpg 7 - 7 player, but it would be on a terrible team.

Solomon has never played well... I've always like how he handles himself and his physical ability but the guy is, objectively, an NBDL type talent... 4-5 times that he sees the floor it is painful to watch him play... Hopefully he will develop into a solid off the bench Center... but he is nowhere near being that type of player yet.

Mario and Jrich wouldn't be on any other NBA roster except ours... this is actually pretty much a fact... (since Mario barely made our team, and we picked up Jrich from the NBDL where any of 29 other NBA teams could have picked him up at any point in the last FOUR months)

The only players that have, at times, played well enough to merit more playing time are Acie Law and, to a lesser extent, Salim... I agree that Woody's handling of our bench is less than ideal... but if you think a good coach could get most of these bums/NBDLers to play good basketball, you are pretty much flat out wrong.

Quote:

...One of the problems Woodson has is that he takes the "one-game-at-a-time" notion too seriously. That approach is right for a player, but wrong for a coach. A coach has to think in longer terms. I would bet Woodson is a lousy chess player because he is reactive and not proactive in his thinking. The NBA season is a chess match. You have to see that the games create a whole. Sometimes you have to use your pawns (bench) to protect your power pieces. Woodson just doesn't get this.

That's a very good analysis Fros. Although the Woodster didn't exactly have a board full of Queens, he did seem to approach this season that way. A coach just trying to show improvement from the year before IMO - no grand plan - just get another year of those paychecks. Maybe that's harsh...as my grandpa used to say "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".