• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Harrington/JJ wasn't a bad combo...

Diesel

• Premium Member

If you think about it.

Harrington/JJ wasn't a bad combination. We suffered from stars in our eyes over Marvin and far too many Sfs.

Just imagine however, we had a forward lineup of Horf/Harrington/Smoove...

Harrington was money in the post and he was a good shooter from downtown. However, it was his presence in the post that allowed JJ to be wide open most of the time.

If we played Harrington with a matured Smoove..... we'd be up for he playoffs right now... probably playing for 5th.

Harrington was stunting the growth of Smoove and if you would add Bibby to that mix there definitely wouldn't be enough shots to go around. I really liked Al but it was important for Smoove and Marvin to have Al off of the roster otherwise it would have set them back even more.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Harrington was stunting the growth of Smoove and if you would add Bibby to that mix there definitely wouldn't be enough shots to go around. I really liked Al but it was important for Smoove and Marvin to have Al off of the roster otherwise it would have set them back even more.

In all honesty, I think Marvin is what stunted the growth of Smoove.

I say that because Smoove hasn't developed a low post game Like Al's.

Smoove hasn't been a consistent offensive player like Al.

Smoove still has a Sf mentality.

He shies away from contact down low.

Al was a legit low post scorer. (still is).

However, it's been Marvin that has never played off the bench.

Smoove knew this when we drafted Marvin.

In fact, predraft Smoove said he either wanted Bogut or D Williams... and this was while knowing that we were high on Marvin. That's because he and Marvin plays the same position.

Marvin hasn't hurt the growth of Smoove at all, if anything it's the opposite. Smoove is playing the Harrington role with Marvin by not sharing the ball with him. I'm sure he has a sense of entitlement being from here and being here a year longer and that's fine but Marvin definitely hasn't hurt the growth of Smoove. If Marvin has hurt anyone it's Chillz since Chillz became the defacto 6th man once Marvin was drafted.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Marvin hasn't hurt the growth of Smoove at all, if anything it's the opposite. Smoove is playing the Harrington role with Marvin by not sharing the ball with him. I'm sure he has a sense of entitlement being from here and being here a year longer and that's fine but Marvin definitely hasn't hurt the growth of Smoove. If Marvin has hurt anyone it's Chillz since Chillz became the defacto 6th man once Marvin was drafted.

I don't see it that way. I think Smoove and Marvin are on the floor together playing the same position. The only difference is that Smoove puts his toes out of the Ty Corbin long two area into the three point area.

You don't see Marvin down in the paint where Smoove should be. The perimeter should be Bibby, JJ, and Marvin, with Smoove (or Chillz if he is in the game) and Al down low. Pay attention to the game and you will see Marvin defer to Smoove and you will also see Smoove take shots that he shouldn't instead of passing to an open Marvin. It's the exact same way that Harrington used to treat Smoove. Maybe he is just paying it forward or something, I don't know.

• Premium Member

I would take Al at the three over Marvin right now... But Marvin has more upside, so I can't argue with the decision to keep him over Harrington.

Al was playing out of position at PF... He couldn't defend any PF in the league, and that was the main thing that made people hate him.... The games where he would play some SF he would do a much better job guarding them than he did against PFs in the block. (He still wasn't anything special on defense)...

Considering that was a way better scorer than Marvin is, and actually commanded double teams, I'm sure we would be better on the offensive end with him... However, on defense, we would probably be worse off.

smoove is a sf whether you like it or not. he knows marvin was brought in to be his replacement to bring smoove of the bench. he knows marvin is suppose to come off the bench. smoove knows al is a c but cant play pf because he is pf because he cant play sf because marvin is playing sf. it has to frustrating to smoove and all horford. marvin is a sixth man.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Al Harrington stunted the growth of both Marvin and Smoove.

We would have realized Smoove was a PF a lot sooner and Marvin would have an extra year as a starter if we had gotten rid of that guy sooner.

Al Harrington was among the top of the league in loss shares.

Dude was terrible

Al Harrington himself was playing out of position though... It would be like having Marvin out there at PF (which has happened this year, and yeah... it's a disaster)

However... since we DID draft Marvin, it definitely was stupid keeping Al Harrington around... It was always clear that it was either Harrington or Marvin, and that there wasn't room for both. (Not to mention CHILL!)

That's what makes the Marvin pick that much dumber... we already had a starting SF and a good backup SF... Then we picked a SF who would take 4 years to develop..

Sense of this move = None.

Quote:

smoove is a sf whether you like it or not. he knows marvin was brought in to be his replacement to bring smoove of the bench. he knows marvin is suppose to come off the bench. smoove knows al is a c but cant play pf because he is pf because he cant play sf because marvin is playing sf. it has to frustrating to smoove and all horford. marvin is a sixth man.

The only person who likes Josh Smith at SF is someone pulling for the opposing team.

I remember a year ago I stated that Josh Smith could become closer to an elite player if we moved him to the 4 because he would have above average dribbling skills for a 4 and elite athleticism.

Sure enough that was the case. It puts him closer to the basket which is where is exponentially better on both ends of the floor.

Putting him at the 3 highlights his weaknesses and masks his strengths.

He is not near the basket to contest shots/rebound as often, it's easier for 3s to beat him offensively by taking him off the dribble, and on offense he's easier to defend because he has average to below average ball handling skills at that position and is a average to below average jumpshooter

• Premium Member

Quote:

You don't see Marvin down in the paint where Smoove should be. The perimeter should be Bibby, JJ, and Marvin, with Smoove (or Chillz if he is in the game) and Al down low. Pay attention to the game and you will see Marvin defer to Smoove and you will also see Smoove take shots that he shouldn't instead of passing to an open Marvin. It's the exact same way that Harrington used to treat Smoove. Maybe he is just paying it forward or something, I don't know.

Key Word... Where Smoove "SHOULD BE". That's my point, when AL left, we lost our post presence from the forward position. Smoove nor Marvin has acquainted themselves in the post the way that Al was there. Therefore, I think Marvin is hindering Smoove's growth as a Sf because Smoove is not a PF.. not by play.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

The only person who likes Josh Smith at SF is someone pulling for the opposing team.

I remember a year ago I stated that Josh Smith could become closer to an elite player if we moved him to the 4 because he would have above average dribbling skills for a 4 and elite athleticism.

Sure enough that was the case. It puts him closer to the basket which is where is exponentially better on both ends of the floor.

Putting him at the 3 highlights his weaknesses and masks his strengths.

He is not near the basket to contest shots/rebound as often, it's easier for 3s to beat him offensively by taking him off the dribble, and on offense he's easier to defend because he has average to below average ball handling skills at that position and is a average to below average jumpshooter

The thing you miss BB is that you can change the defensive scheme and Smoove can become whatever position you want him to be defensively. With our team, the best thing that we can do is get a real defensive big and play zone. Still... offensively, it's evident that Marvin is the logjam in the system. He's really 6th man material, but we start him and we play Al at C and Smoove at PF. You will see, if BK is to make good at getting a C... I would love to see us steal Okur from Utah or Diop from FAcy... then you will see Smoove go to Sf and AL go to PF and Al will be a beast and Smoove will not do badly. Because we lack post play.

Quote:

Quote:

Key Word... Where Smoove "SHOULD BE". That's my point, when AL left, we lost our post presence from the forward position. Smoove nor Marvin has acquainted themselves in the post the way that Al was there. Therefore, I think Marvin is hindering Smoove's growth as a Sf because Smoove is not a PF.. not by play.

You are right Smoove is not a PF, but he is not a SF either. Smoove is a tweener so you play him by the matchups not by the position. Smoove can play some SF but more PF. Marvin can play SF and that's it. Smoove is a better player, but Marvin is a better SF. Harrington is a chucker that plays no defense.

End of story!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You are right Smoove is not a PF, but he is not a SF either. Smoove is a tweener so you play him by the matchups not by the position. Smoove can play some SF but more PF. Marvin can play SF and that's it. Smoove is a better player, but Marvin is a better SF. Harrington is a chucker that plays no defense.

End of story!

Yeah but my original statement about Harrington is that his POST play freed up JJ to be a better Perimeter player. That part of the conversation has been lost in the Smoove vs. Marvin debate. Still, it's true.. since Harrington we have had no post presence.

But with Harrington, we had post play that made JJ a better perimeter player.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If you think about it.

Harrington/JJ wasn't a bad combination. We suffered from stars in our eyes over Marvin and far too many Sfs.

Just imagine however, we had a forward lineup of Horf/Harrington/Smoove...

Harrington was money in the post and he was a good shooter from downtown. However, it was his presence in the post that allowed JJ to be wide open most of the time.

If we played Harrington with a matured Smoove..... we'd be up for he playoffs right now... probably playing for 5th.

Harrington is one of the worst defenders in the NBA, no way would I rather have him over Marvin, and this is coming from someone who has never liked Marvin at all.

Quote:

Dolfan you are absolutely right. I thought that I was the only one that ever noticed that. I feel that if alot of these guys actually watch the games instead of looking at boxscores they would make boneheaded unfounded remarks that have no basis what-so-ever in truth.

PS-You owe me a rematch on NBA 2k8 on Xbox live. I was sick that time we played.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Dolfan you are absolutely right. I thought that I was the only one that ever noticed that. I feel that if alot of these guys actually watch the games instead of looking at boxscores they would make boneheaded unfounded remarks that have no basis what-so-ever in truth.

PS-You owe me a rematch on NBA 2k8 on Xbox live. I was sick that time we played.

What's this... the kiss up so I can get a rematch point??

I can't blame Marvin's non-aggressiveness on Smoove. In fact, if that's the case, why doesn't Chillz suffer from that same ailment when he replaces Marvin?