• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Did the Miami replay open a Pandora's Box?

Nicholasp27

Do you really think they would be considering a protest for this game if the NBA hadn't already had us replay the Miami game? I think that the NBA doing that has opened Pandora's Box and we'll see lots more of these reactions in the next few seasons. The NBA needs to make it clear to the teams that replays won't be done on officials' mistakes (not that this was a mistake due to the horford tip).

The replay of the Miami game and the Toronto "situation" are completely different. The Miami game was due to gross incompetence on the part of the Hawks scorers. The NBA had warned the Hawks on 3 occasions to get the scoring corrected. The Miami replay was a message sent to the Hawks that bad scoring would no longer be tollerated.

The Toronto "situation" is based on a ref being able to push a button in less than a .1 of a second. Completely different situation in my mind, and I would think in the NBA's collective mind as well. The only reason people are clamoring is because they saw the Miami replay, but the reality is that the situations are not parallel.

This will all be over and done with by the end of the weekend when both Toronto and Atlanta have played more important games. I believe Toronto has 48 hours to file the protest, so by COB today we'll know if they are serious about protesting.

• Moderators

Quote:

They are completely different situations, but the Miami Replay is gonna cause teams to be quicker to protest games, even when they were the ref's decision, not the team's scorekeeper's mistakes.

If the league quickly and emphatically shuts this down, the tendency to protest games based on ref error will quickly fade.