• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Kevin Durant = Rookie of the Year!

Gray Mule

Quote:

Quote:

He will get it, because the ROY is nothing but a popularity contest. It will always go to the player that scores the most points. It hardly ever goes to the actual best rookie.

IMO, both Al Horford and Al Thornton should be rated ahead of Kevin Durant if the award is to go to the best rookie.

Deke beat out Chris Webber for ROY.

Webber won ROY in 93/94

I think Deke was drafted in 1991....Larry Johnson won ROY that year.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Steve Fischer, the coach for Michigan back then, was a HORRIBLE coach though. People talk about the Hawks winning in spite of Woody, that Michigan team definitely won in spite of Fischer. The Fab 5 in that sophomore year definitely should've won it all. Fischer was horrible.

It still blows my mind how Webber ended up bringing the ball up the court in the final minute of that championship game vs Carolina. He traveled when he first got the ball, but it wasn't called. Then he goes into panic mode, races up the court, and calls time out. Where were one of the guards to go get the ball and bring it up? That would be like Smoove bringing the ball up for us in the final minute.

Fischer could recruit, but that's about it. I need to google him to see if he's even still in coaching.

I have to disagree here. The reason Webber brought the ball up was because that was their game. Any of them would bring the ball up (except Ray Jackson). Moreover, Fischer proved his worth by coaching Michigan to the Championship when they had Glen Rice and Rumeal Robinson. Now that was a great run!!!

The Fab 5 only stayed together for 2 years. What team of Rookies make it to the final four their first year and the finals their 2nd? I loved UNLV... However, UNLV were experienced Juniors by the time they won the NCAAs... then they threw the NCAA's the next year.

I can't believe that you mentioned the 2004 UNC team??? That team was highly overrated as you can see from the pros that they've turned out to be.

I can think of about 3 Kansas teams that were better than that UNC.

The one with Paul Pierce and Collison definitely better.

The one with Adonis Jordan (1991)

The one with Raef Lafrentz (1998)

However, the Fab 5...2 NCAA finals... in their Freshman and Sophomore year? I doubt that that will ever be accomplished again. I doubt that any other team will ever get close. Hell, every time Duke gets a talented Rookie team on during a turnover... THEY SUCK.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He will get it, because the ROY is nothing but a popularity contest. It will always go to the player that scores the most points. It hardly ever goes to the actual best rookie.

IMO, both Al Horford and Al Thornton should be rated ahead of Kevin Durant if the award is to go to the best rookie.

Deke beat out Chris Webber for ROY.

Webber won ROY in 1993

I think Deke was drafted in 1991....Larry Johnson won ROY that year.

Damn, you're right. Maybe it was the other way around. Deke had been leading ROY and Webber came back to beat Deke out...

• Premium Member

Quote:

what about Duke with Jay Williams, Duhon, Dunleavy, Battier, and Boozer...

It's about like Duke with Laettner, Hill, and that little guy.

Only one of them is a star on the pro level.

• Moderators

Quote:

That collection of athletes on one team in college basketball may have been the best collection of talent since the UNLV teams of the early '90s. North Carolina's team of 2004 was pretty good as well though. I think as far as having players who ended up making a name for themselves in the NBA though, Florida and UNLV have to be at the top. UNLV had Larry Johnson, Stacey Augmon, and Greg Anthony. I think that team also had JR Rider as a younger player. Florida had Al Horford, Joakim Noah, and Corey Brewer, and Chris Richard is on the TWolves roster. Richard was a reserve at Florida.

Kentucky 1996

That team had so much talent that they dominated the NCAAs while basically redshirting Nazr Mohammed, Scott Padgett and Jeff Sheppard. The leftovers from the 1996 squad lost the 1997 championship game in overtime to Arizona when Derek Anderson was injured for the entire NCAA tournament and won the 1998 title as well.

If he were a Hawk and we had THEIR record, would he still be considered for ROY?

No, I don't believe so. Why? Because we are the Hawks. We don't get the national

attention that is required - - That will be a great stumbling block Horford will have

to overcome.

Scoring is the glamor part of the game for sure. The recent explosion just might be

enough to tip the scales away from our man. I hope not, but - - - we'll see.