Top ten college Men's BB teams in History...

Diesel

• Premium Member

I figure this should be a good discussion... Everybody has their favs...

So I will start a list.

1. UCLA with Walton

2. UCLA with Kareem

-Had to get those out of the way-

3. UNC 1982. With Jordan, Worthy... and those guys... Hmm...

4. UNLV 1990-1991. I would have liked to see what they would have done if they were not fixing games.

4. Duke 1991-1992. Great run.

5. Michigan 1992-1993. Even though they didn't win it all, for a freshman/sophomore team, they did more than any team will ever do.

6. Indiana 1976. Lots of Hooiser think this team was great. I don't like the big ten but you have to give perfection it's due.

7. Kansas 1991. Lost to Duke in the finals. Had probably the second greatest run in the NCAA tourney. I think they were a 3 seed.

8. Georgetown with Pat Ewing, Reggie Williams... This was probably the best defensive team since Kareem's UCLA team.

9. Florida 2006-2007. I think 2006 was fluke... however, in 2007, they proved themselves.

10. UK 1998. Padgett, Shepherd, etc... That team was probably mostly heart...

Also should be recognized:

Glenn Rice's Michigan.

Mashburn's UK team.

Deke's Georgetown team.

UNC 1993.

UNC 1998 = Choked against UTAH.

Utah 1998 = Andre Miller and friends.

Indy with Isiah Thomas (1982).

MSU with Magic.

MSU with Cleaves.

UCLA with Ed OB.

UAriz with Jet Terry coming off the bench.

Wake Forest with Timmy D.

Ill with Deron Williams.

UnC 2004.

Are you kidding me? The fact that you left out or "forgot" the 1996 Kentucky Wildcats makes this list a joke in my opinion. Their roster included Antoine Walker, Ron Mercer, Walter McCarty, Jeff Sheppard, Nazr Mohammed, Tony Delk, Derek Anderson, and some other really good players. (Wayne Turner etc). They had something like 8 or 9 guys go to the NBA on that team!

That is a pretty good list.

I would add these 3 some where:

1. The University of Houston teams with Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler has to be right up there too.

2. Those UNC teams with Carter, Cota, and Jamison were pretty darn strong. Did they win it all under Gotfried right after Dean Smith left ?

3. How far did the George Town team's with both Mourning and Mutombo go in the Tourney ? They were a nightmare for everyone that faced them.

Subtract:

Agree on the Michigan Fab 5 teams being good. Though those games no longer count due to recruiting infractions. I can't give credit to cheaters.

That Kentucky team that was mentioned. They were good but not as goo as the above 3.

• Moderators

Quote:

Are you kidding me? The fact that you left out or "forgot" the 1996 Kentucky Wildcats makes this list a joke in my opinion. Their roster included Antoine Walker, Ron Mercer, Walter McCarty, Jeff Sheppard, Nazr Mohammed, Tony Delk, Derek Anderson, and some other really good players. (Wayne Turner etc). They had something like 8 or 9 guys go to the NBA on that team!

I loved Mash's UK teams and loved the '98 championship squad but this one is the one that needs to be on the list (and above the also-ran list). That team was incredibly talented. Others with NBA experience from that roster include Mark Pope (6 seasons) and the suspended Scott Padgett (suspended that season with the team's depth secure, played 8 years in the NBA).

That team was incredibly loaded when you realize they basically redshirted Nazr, Sheppard and Padgett with the depth the team had. They also dominated the tournament. The "left-overs" from that team won the 98 championship and lost the 97 championship game in overtime. Probably the deepest team in NCAA history.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I love UK just about as much as anybody else. However, guys going pro doesn't amount to greatness. Hell, Duke sends guys to the pros all the time. I was looking at something a little different... Like dominance. Honestly, I strongly debated UK 1998 vs. UK 1996 vs UK 1992. I think the 1992 team is stronger... BUT.. the 1998 team won it all and they beat some pretty good teams to do it.

There were also some recent Texas teams that deserved more respect.

• Premium Member

Quote:

That is a pretty good list.

I would add these 3 some where:

1. The University of Houston teams with Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler has to be right up there too.

2. Those UNC teams with Carter, Cota, and Jamison were pretty darn strong. Did they win it all under Gotfried right after Dean Smith left ?

3. How far did the George Town team's with both Mourning and Mutombo go in the Tourney ? They were a nightmare for everyone that faced them.

Subtract:

Agree on the Michigan Fab 5 teams being good. Though those games no longer count due to recruiting infractions. I can't give credit to cheaters.

That Kentucky team that was mentioned. They were good but not as goo as the above 3.

1. I forgot Phi Slamma Jamma.

2. I mentioned the UNC team with: Jamison, Carter, Wallace, and I think Easy Ed. Kota...

3. That Georgetown team lost to Charlie Ward's FSU team. It was definitely a case of David slaying Goliath.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I loved Mash's UK teams and loved the '98 championship squad but this one is the one that needs to be on the list (and above the also-ran list). That team was incredibly talented. Others with NBA experience from that roster include Mark Pope (6 seasons) and the suspended Scott Padgett (suspended that season with the team's depth secure, played 8 years in the NBA).

That team was incredibly loaded when you realize they basically redshirted Nazr, Sheppard and Padgett with the depth the team had. They also dominated the tournament. The "left-overs" from that team won the 98 championship and lost the 97 championship game in overtime. Probably the deepest team in NCAA history.

Who did the 1996 team beat though?

I mean they were undefeated and for good reason... BUT in who was there to play?

There was the year that Syracuse and MS St. Snuck into the final four. Come on now... The only game worth watching that year was Kentucky beat UMass.

That 1998 UK team beat UCLA, Stanford, Duke, Utah, and a surprising St. Louis team.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I love UK just about as much as anybody else. However, guys going pro doesn't amount to greatness. Hell, Duke sends guys to the pros all the time. I was looking at something a little different... Like dominance.

Kentucky 110 - San Jose State 72

UK 84 - Virginia Tech 60

UK 101 - Utah 70 (Keith Van Horn/Andre Miller)

UK 83 - Wake Forest (Tim Duncan) 63

UK 81 - UMass 74 (Camby)

UK 76 - Syracuse 67 (Wallace)

That is a dominating run - including over teams with significant NBA talent.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I love UK just about as much as anybody else. However, guys going pro doesn't amount to greatness. Hell, Duke sends guys to the pros all the time. I was looking at something a little different... Like dominance.

UK 84 - Virginia Tech 60

UK 81 - UMass 74 (Camby)

I remember that Umass team (coached by Calipari) was REALLY good. They had a point guard named Edgar Padilla that was an excellent all around player, and Carmelo Travieso, who in my opinion, was probably the best 3pt shooter of anyone who played in the '90's. Yes, even better than Curtis Staples or Trajan Langdon. Glad you posted that AHF, I had forgotten about how bad they worked Duncan and Co.

Also I'm reminded, whatever happened to John Wallace? I know he was drafted by the knickerbockers, but then he just kind of disappeared like Harold Minor did.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

UK 84 - Virginia Tech 60

UK 81 - UMass 74 (Camby)

I didn't count Duncan's WFU team as being great because it was a one man show. It's a shame he didn't have more help.

I'll give you Utah. In fact, Andre Miller wasn't so good that year... he was overshawdowed by a guy who never made it (Ben Catone)...

I guess on second thought, they deserve a place....

I was just not so impressed with Syracuse...

and for some reason, I don't remember Camby at UMASS at that time. I thought his team won the NCAA tourney?

• Moderators

Quote:

and for some reason, I don't remember Camby at UMASS at that time. I thought his team won the NCAA tourney?

Nope. They were knocked out by UK in a game many viewed as the de facto national championship. Syracuse wasn't a bad team and had a good zone D that year but they weren't at UMass's level.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Nope. They were knocked out by UK in a game many viewed as the de facto national championship. Syracuse wasn't a bad team and had a good zone D that year but they weren't at UMass's level.

I specifically remember Otis Hill, Wallace and others chanting "when the cuse is in the house"...

after winning a championship.