• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Salim should stay the primary backup pg

Johnnybravo4

• Moderators

Quote:

Like I said before, shooters need shots to get get hot. I am sure Ben Gordon is an even more divisive figure in Chicago than Salim is. But the reason he almost won ROY and 6th man is that he got shots and minutes. When Salim got consistent minutes (The minutes Acie got this year) he avg nearly 10ppg.

Obviously, you believe Salim is better than his performance and has been held back by the coaching staff. I hope he can emerge for the Hawks and that you are right. I think you are crazy, though, if you think Salim has the same skills as Ben Gordon in terms of his ability to create and hit shots. I don't see it on the floor or in the numbers.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Like I said before, shooters need shots to get get hot. I am sure Ben Gordon is an even more divisive figure in Chicago than Salim is. But the reason he almost won ROY and 6th man is that he got shots and minutes.
When Salim got consistent minutes (The minutes Acie got this year) he avg nearly 10ppg.

lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg

This year Acie has averaged 15.6 minutes per game. Salim played 17 minutes per game last year and averaged 7.7 ppg.

• Moderators

Quote:

He did it in 20mpg. The point is that given the same amount of minutes, Salim is a better player. Hell acie is shooting 38% from the field and 20% from 3 and he was also brought in to be a scoring guard.

I disagree that Salim and Acie are expected to fill the same roles. I do think you go with the hotter hand at this point in the season, though, and don't worry about player development with 4 games to go and the playoffs in reach. I would play Salim at this point (but still think you are overrating his play).

Quote:

He did it in 20mpg
. The point is that given the same amount of minutes, Salim is a better player. Hell acie is shooting 38% from the field and 20% from 3 and he was also brought in to be a scoring guard.

Acie was drafted to be a pg and he hasn't gotten 20 minutes per game. He has gotten 15.6 when he hasn't been hurt.

When Acie has played over 25 minutes per game he is shooting 58%, so the same argument you are attempting to make with Salim can easily be applied to Acie.

Quote:

Quote:

but when he comes in at garbage time then he tends to play like garbage, just like everyone else in the game at garbage time

. The last few games when Salim has played important minutes in the first half of theses contest,he has played well. His shot hasn't been off,but he is a true perimeter threat. When he is in the game teams have to guard him closely whether his shot is falling or not. Sometimes I listen to the oppossing teams broadcast and the first think they say when Salim comes into the game is(we now have to guard a shooter)he has the same effect as Bibby as an perimeter threat. Bibby is shooting 40%,but know one is saying that he can't shoot. Garbage time is garbage time, the last few times when Salim has played earlier in games,he has played well and within the offense. Against the Pacers he was(+18) and Bibby was(-25). JJ had some easy looks because the Pacers couldn't cheat with Salim sitting behind the line.

• Moderators

Quote:

Bibby is shooting 40%,but know one is saying that he can't shoot.

Bibby's has a .488 efg% this season compared to Salim's .423. I don't think they are really comparable. I agree that teams have to defend Salim on the perimeter, though, and that his effect on spacing may be similar to Bibby even though his shooting isn't that close.

The problem with criticizing Salim (and even bibby to some extent) on their FG% is that most of their shots come from 3. Salim's FG% must be seen in context of his role on the team and his particular skill set. I think that Salim is a better finisher at the rim than Acie is at this point. The problem is that because he shot 50% from 3 in college he sees himself in terms of a 3 point shooter and Woody's offense doesn't make him act otherwise. I think Smoove suffers the same way under woody's system.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

The problem with criticizing Salim (and even bibby to some extent) on their FG% is that most of their shots come from 3.

That is why AHF has been using EFG (Effective Field Goal) % which takes 3 pointers into account.

The effective FG% of someone who takes all 3's and hits 1/3 of them is:

.500 efg%