• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

We have all the makings of an upset

Supporter

I know that we really dont deserve to make the playoffs, im sure people are going to whine that goldenstate or any other of the 3 western confrence teams that have a better record than us and did not make the playoffs deserve to make it. BUT we have all the ingredients for an upset. We are huge underdogs and i mean HUGE. We havent been in the playoffs for a long time. Theres more reasons but i cant think of any right now. But what im basicly trying to say is that if we upset boston im not going to be that surprised.

And this is a picture of zaza in with his "happy face".........dont ask me.

]http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/uv/images/ugly_guyshead.jpeg

you wont be surprised??? you're nuts man..as much confidence I have in this team, I only see them winning 2 games (tops)! and that means that if we can beat boston then we can beat anyteam in a 7 game series too right?? think about that again buddy. I will admit that if this was a 5 game series like it use to be in the 1st round then I would like our chance a little bit more but to beat boston 4 times would be very very surprising

Quote:

I only see them winning 2 games (tops)!

I agree. I think we are physical and athletic enough to give the Celtics two or three tough games. But in the end they have to much talent and win as they should .... If we won this series it would be the biggest upset in NBA history.

I think that winning two games is actually reasonable. I'm predicting Boston in six. Would be surprised if it went 7 and if we won I may not be able to get off the couch. Winning both games at Philips would be fine with me. Not expecting much, just glad to be here.

-Boston only lost ONE game this year to a team under .500? ONE GAME

That was the 40-42 76ers when they were just coasting.

-They won this year by over 10PPG?

-They only lost 5 games to the western conference?

I don't mean this to sound extremely negative. Honestly, I think I'm just starting to realize just what Boston is capable of.

• Premium Member

Quote:

-Boston only lost ONE game this year to a team under .500? ONE GAME

That was the 40-42 76ers when they were just coasting.

-They won this year by over 10PPG?

-They only lost 5 games to the western conference?

I don't mean this to sound extremely negative. Honestly, I think I'm just starting to realize just what Boston is capable of.

The playoffs and the regular season are different. I agree that we might not get calls. I agree that stopping Pierce will be what we have to do to win. However, I don't think Boston is unstoppable. With no Back to back games... with only one team to focus on, I think we can be competitive. If our competitiveness turns to luck in games 1 or 2 and 3... then we will win the series.

Well we definitely can pull off the upset, there's no question about that. Anything can happen in a short series like that- the underdog can get hot all of a sudden and voila, you've got an upset in the making. And there is precedent for the #8 seed to upset the #1, Golden State last year and Denver back in '94 when they upset the Sonics are the two examples that spring immediately to mind. However, you have to realize that the 8-1 upset is an extreme rarity....so, we don't exactly have those odds working in our favor.

And just the fact that we're so shorthanded, and Boston is so damn deep..... it's gonna make it really, really tough. Their bench is full of talented and useful players who can each make a significant positive contribution on any given night, and they can just bring players at you in waves, whereas we are pretty well locked-in to our 7 deep rotation. So that's a major disadvantage for us.

But there are a bunch of other factors that come to bear, such as psychological factors. I live up here and can tell ya that Celtics nation is expecting nothing less than a championship this season, so that team has got a massive burden of expectation riding upon their shoulders, only furthering the pressure they already feel. Some teams thrive on that kind of pressure, but some don't. It weighs on them too heavily till they collapse. Could that happen to Boston? Absolutely, but you can't know how they'll react to that until the playoffs actually start. And we, we've got absolutely nothing to lose here. No one expects sh*t from us, so our guys can just go out there and play, free from the weight of all those enormous expectations that the C's are laboring under.

So can we upset them? Yes, most definitely. Is that likely to happen? Probably not. The odds certainly don't favor such an occurrence, but ya just never know. As always with our Hawks, win or lose- I just hope we go out there and conduct ourselves well, play hard always, and play together as a team.

Lol at people saying they wouldn't be surprised.

It would be the biggest upset in the history of sports beating this team 4 games out of 7 overcoming being outmatched personnel wise and in terms of overcoming officiating.

Not to mention 3 star players who couldn't be anymore hungry for a championship (and the subsequent calls they will get)

Not to mention how atrocious we play on the road and the atmosphere that the city of Boston will have.

Boston won over 80% of their games this season. Hawks finished 8 games under .500.

IOW, if we win ONE game we should consider it a moral victory

The Hawks have a punchers chance:

Josh Smith needs to dominate inside with a sick 22 point, 16 rebound, 4 block average.

Josh Smith needs to average 45% or better from the field and hold the turnovers down to at least 2.

Mike Bibby needs to become Steve Nash and hit 40% from 3, average 9 assists, and less than one turnover a game.

On the defensive end we have to find a way to defend the 3 point line. They have so many shooters and not just Pierce and Allen. Cassell and House are just as deadly.