• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why don't we run this?

Johnnybravo4

A pick in roll with Bibby/JJ and Smoove the same way CP3 and Chandler does. Play the 2 man game and if Smoove's man cheats on the play then Bibby or JJ throws it up for an Alley-oop to smoove. Since there are only 2 or 3 people in the NBA who can jump as high as smoove can it would seem to be an unstoppable play.

It's a good thought, but here's why it wouldn't be nearly as effective here. Both Bibby and JJ aren't exactly lightning quick players that can blow by people. That'll keep the defender from being overly concerned about the dribble drive.

What Paul does, is absolutely kill people off the pick and roll with his penetration. He'll look to score early. Then once teams start trying to shut him down, he'll start passing the ball all over the place. That's when you'll see the lobs to Chandler or even the kick out passes to Peja.

Johnny, I'm rewatching this game as I type this. It's 8:02 in the 3rd quarter, and the Hawks are down 44 - 57. TNT is showing a stat about our shooting:

SHOOTING TONIGHT

Horford/Johnson: 10/19 FGs

Rest of team: 7/26 FGs

And with that rest of team shooting at that time, Marvin had made 2 shots, Chill 3 shots, Smoove and Bibby 1 shot.

We just have to make shots man. If they get to the hole, they have to make the lay-up or draw the foul. And if they get open looks on ther perimeter, they have to knock the shot down.

Quote:

Johnny, I'm rewatching this game as I type this.

I don't understand the point of rewatching a game like that. They are simply better by far and i don't think anything new can be gleaned from this game or any game this series.

The Hawks won 37 games, 29 less than the Celtics. They just aren't that good.

Yeah, and the chief reason for the low shooting percentages is that Boston plays good defense. Granted, the Hawks missed some open shots, but by and large most of those shots were missed because they were contested/difficult.

I don't expect those to go down with much more regularity then they did Sunday. JJ especially was forced into a ton of tough shots at the end of the shot clock, where he had to beat his man and then shoot over help. Boston plays good D and it's going to be tough to improve by a significant margin in their building, which is why the Hawks need to try to push the tempo as much as possible and try not to get into the half-court grind. Boston was doing a good job of slowing that down the other night too though.

• Moderators

This isn't the same Hawks team though. We may had had more wins with Bibby here the whole season. The Hawks can compete with them. It just takes some smart playing and good coaching. Even if we matched up better it would be difficult to win this series. I think the NBA has the Celtics and Lakers penciled in the finals

Quote:

It's a good thought, but here's why it wouldn't be nearly as effective here. Both Bibby and JJ aren't exactly lightning quick players that can blow by people. That'll keep the defender from being overly concerned about the dribble drive.

What Paul does, is absolutely kill people off the pick and roll with his penetration. He'll look to score early. Then once teams start trying to shut him down, he'll start passing the ball all over the place. That's when you'll see the lobs to Chandler or even the kick out passes to Peja.

Johnny, I'm rewatching this game as I type this. It's 8:02 in the 3rd quarter, and the Hawks are down 44 - 57. TNT is showing a stat about our shooting:

SHOOTING TONIGHT

Horford/Johnson: 10/19 FGs

Rest of team: 7/26 FGs

And with that rest of team shooting at that time, Marvin had made 2 shots, Chill 3 shots, Smoove and Bibby 1 shot.

We just have to make shots man. If they get to the hole, they have to make the lay-up or draw the foul. And if they get open looks on ther perimeter, they have to knock the shot down.

in that case, seems to me that this could be something in the future for acie...once acie gets those drive layups to fall, they could live on that play

Quote:

I don't understand the point of rewatching a game like that. They are simply better by far and i don't think anything new can be gleaned from this game or any game this series.

The Hawks won 37 games, 29 less than the Celtics. They just aren't that good.

I rewatch a game like that because I'm a hoops junkie. Even in a loss, you can see what they may have done well and what they didn't do well.

The guy that you were complaining about for 3/4ths of the season, Horford, had the best offensive game of his career.

He hit the midrage jumper. He converted down on the block or drew a foul. He even got KG in a one on one position about 15 feet from the basket. He faced him up, drove into the lane, and shot about a 8 - 10 foot running hook shot over KG's outstretched hands.

When you rewatch the game, you also see how much JJ was in attack mode, even if he didn't make most of his shots. I have never seen him be so aggressive at trying to go to the hole and possibly draw fouls. He was definitely in Joe-Zilla mode, if he could've gotten more of those floaters to fall or a few more fouls called against him. He's gotta have that mindset the entire series.

That game really didn't get out of hand, until Rondo hit those 6 straight points to close the 3rd quarter, and put the C's up by 18.

But of course, all people see is a 23 point loss.

• Premium Member

Quote:

A pick in roll with Bibby/JJ and Smoove the same way CP3 and Chandler does. Play the 2 man game and if Smoove's man cheats on the play then Bibby or JJ throws it up for an Alley-oop to smoove. Since there are only 2 or 3 people in the NBA who can jump as high as smoove can it would seem to be an unstoppable play.

That would mean that Smoove would have to be willing to dunk over somebody. Ask yourself, when was the last time Smoove Dunked over somebody the way that Powe dunked on him the other night? Never? I don't think Smoove has it in him to be a physical slasher. That's why he plays perimeter so much. I hate to say it but I think Smoove has some softness to him.

Quote:

The guy that you were complaining about for 3/4ths of the season, Horford, had the best offensive game of his career.

Actually my complaining was mostly in November when he was trying to play like Eddy Curry. He can't be succussful trying to back down bigger guys and fortunately doesn't do that much any more.

I like the game he played against Boston earlier this month better than this one. He basically took over in the 3rd quarter of that game and got the Hawks back into it. in this game he was just more opportunistic, getting a few follow ups (7 offensive boards) and was in the right place when the D collapsed on JJ.

Hahaha, good one.

We don't run a Bibby/Smith for the same reason we don't run any pick and roll (Bibby/Horford would be my preference), the same reason we don't know how to defend the pick and roll, the same reason we don't run run run, the same reason we started royal ivey, the same reason we sit our #2/3 player for the rest of the half when he has just 2 fouls, for the same reason we have our SF defend the PG while the PG defends the SG, for the same reason that we look worse coming out of timeouts than coming in, for the same reason that players that are on fire get benched, for the same reason that any important play is an iso, for the same reason that Acie Law gets benched for 4-5 games in a row after he has a good game, etc...

because our coach is a clown

Quote:

Hahaha, good one.

We don't run a Bibby/Smith for the same reason we don't run any pick and roll (Bibby/Horford would be my preference), the same reason we don't know how to defend the pick and roll, the same reason we don't run run run, the same reason we started royal ivey, the same reason we sit our #2/3 player for the rest of the half when he has just 2 fouls, for the same reason we have our SF defend the PG while the PG defends the SG, for the same reason that we look coming out of timeouts than coming in, for the same reason that players that are on fire get benched, for the same reason that any important play is an iso, for the same reason that Acie Law gets benched for 4-5 games in a row after he has a good game, etc...

agree 1 million times infinity % lol

Quote:

Hahaha, good one.

We don't run a Bibby/Smith for the same reason we don't run any pick and roll (Bibby/Horford would be my preference), the same reason we don't know how to defend the pick and roll, the same reason we don't run run run, the same reason we started royal ivey, the same reason we sit our #2/3 player for the rest of the half when he has just 2 fouls, for the same reason we have our SF defend the PG while the PG defends the SG, for the same reason that we look worse coming out of timeouts than coming in, for the same reason that players that are on fire get benched, for the same reason that any important play is an iso, for the same reason that Acie Law gets benched for 4-5 games in a row after he has a good game, etc...

Well Las you got a point.