• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Falcons.

Diesel

• Premium Member

So is the best out for the Falcons to:

1. Either get Dorsy...

or

2. Fall back trade with Jets or somebody and take Ryan?

I understand that the Falcons need a QB...

But a defensive line and an OL is important too.

Why not fall back and get Sedrick Ellis?

Or

Why not take McFadden?

I would love for the Falcons to trade down to Baltimore at 8 if possible and take best available, hopefully either Ellis or Albert. Pay a lot less money and good talent. We need to get big strong and fast.

Since we need everything, taking a top QB makes no sense. Can we get another 2nd rounder with Baltimore for a swap? 4 second rounders would be sweet. Good talent for the money. These top pics are very expensive.

Hawk88

I'm with you on Ellis and have been for a while. Back in February I was saying at #3 draft:

Jake Long

Glenn Dorsey

Sedrick Ellis

or bust !

No one else fits given the Falcons situation and ability to get a good QB later in the draft.

If a trade down is NOT possible I could live with drafting Ellis #3 over all. He could be a better pro then Dorsey for all we know and has no injury history. He is at least a better pass rusher and "specializes" in somthing.

Or draft Long or Gholston at #3 and try to trade them for a later pick and get Ellis and a 2nd or 3rd rounder but you run the risk of being stuck with another DE in the 1st round for the 2nd year in a row.

I don't see the point in drafting Ryan in the top 10 when we can get either Brohm, Henne, or Flacco in the early 2nd round.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'm with you on Ellis and have been for a while. Back in February I was saying at #3 draft:

Jake Long

Glenn Dorsey

Sedrick Ellis

or bust !

No one else fits given the Falcons situation and ability to get a good QB later in the draft.

If a trade down is NOT possible I could live with drafting Ellis #3 over all. He could be a better pro then Dorsey for all we know and has no injury history. He is at least a better pass rusher and "specializes" in somthing.

Or draft Long or Gholston at #3 and try to trade them for a later pick and get Ellis and a 2nd or 3rd rounder but you run the risk of being stuck with another DE in the 1st round for the 2nd year in a row.

I don't see the point in drafting Ryan in the top 10 when we can get either Brohm, Henne, or Flacco in the early 2nd round.

I have been thinking about Gholston.. however, is this the kind of player that you pick early?

Also, I would like to see us go after Flacco in the 2nd too.

I don't see Ryan as being the next Joe Montana...even though he single handedly and soundly defeated my Hokies with the help of my Hokies...

• Premium Member

Hey Coach...

What can you say about not getting McFadden?

I mean, I know we have lots of needs... I know Norwood is supposed to be the man. However, McFadden is a talent. With our second round picks, we can get Flacco and some linemen....

Secondly..

What's your thought about Hutchins and Coleman in the secondary?

It might turn out that Dorsey is available at 3. I like Ellis a lot too.. however, McFadden could be a Tony D. kind of guy!

I have been thinking about Gholston.. however, is this the kind of player that you pick early?

Also, I would like to see us go after Flacco in the 2nd too.

I don't see Ryan as being the next Joe Montana...even though he single handedly and soundly defeated my Hokies with the help of my Hokies...

Golston just doesn't fit the Falcons right now. I think he could be worth and early pick though if you an 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. Gholston is not a LB in a 4-3. He would have to play DE in a 4-3. People compare to Merriman like their twins but Merriman is 250 lbs and not 270 lbs like Gholston.

If we get Gholson then either John Abraham is traded (260 lb end) or we waisted the #8 pick in Jamal Anderson last year at DE b/c he would be on the bench. Put Ellis or Dorsey in the middle and let Abraham and Anderson have one man to beat for a sack.

Ellis is versitile enough to play end in a 3-4 defense if we ever swtch to that. A 3-4 defense will never happen as long as Smith is HC.

As far as 2nd round QBs I'd go:

1. Brohm - has everything but a cannon arm (and a defense last year). Son of a coach and his brother is their O cooridinator. Most well schooled QB in the draft. Picture perfect fundamental most NFL ready and least risky.

2. Flacco - pure physical upside and good interviews. Highest upside and the highest risk.

3. Henne - no personaity. Interview with him are BORING..makes me wonder about his ability to "captain" a football team and have player give their all for him while he holds them accountable. ....Jake Long was their captain.....not Henne. But he looks on tape and can throw a bullet. Good arm with questionalbe leadership ability.

However, I could live with any of them.

Just my 2 cents.

• Moderators

Quote:

Hey Coach...

I mean, I know we have lots of needs... I know Norwood is supposed to be the man. However, McFadden is a talent. With our second round picks, we can get Flacco and some linemen....

We just signed Michael Turner to be the man. Norwood will be the complimentary RB. Turner is a stud so I would not use the pick on McFadden under any circumstances.

Quote:

Secondly..

It might turn out that Dorsey is available at 3. I like Ellis a lot too.. however, McFadden could be a Tony D. kind of guy!

I would take Dorsey at #3 or try to trade down for better value if he is off the board - and it would not take much. I would rather trade down to 5 for a 7th round pick and then take Ellis there than to stick at 3 and take Ellis for a higher price just because a 7th round pick isn't enough on the chart.

I would definitely try to trade if Dorsey is off the board but would still want to build our line with the #3 pick if there was no trade with either C. Long or Ellis. I take Ellis if Jamal Anderson is going to be a player and Long if Jamaal is a lost cause.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Coach...

We just signed Michael Turner to be the man. Norwood will be the complimentary RB. Turner is a stud so I would not use the pick on McFadden under any circumstances.

Where was I when we signed Turner??????

DATS good!!!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Coach...

Quote:

Secondly..

I would take Dorsey at #3 or try to trade down for better value if he is off the board - and it would not take much. I would rather trade down to 5 for a 7th round pick and then take Ellis there than to stick at 3 and take Ellis for a higher price just because a 7th round pick isn't enough on the chart.

I would definitely try to trade if Dorsey is off the board but would still want to build our line with the #3 pick if there was no trade with either C. Long or Ellis. I take Ellis if Jamal Anderson is going to be a player and Long if Jamaal is a lost cause.

IF we can leave this draft with

either Dorsey/Ellis and Flacco/Brohm/Ainge/Woodson

Then it's been a great draft for the Falcons.

Flacco seems like the guy but has he been tested.

I'm really intrigued by Ainge. He's tough, big, got an arm.

Yall know I love Woodson. SEC QB. Poised. However, how tough is he?

I haven't put Henne on my list!

Quote:

Hey Coach...

Secondly..

As far McFadden goes.............With Michael Turner signing as a FA I don't think he will even be considered. I see McFadded as a big Reggie Bush more then a small Adreian Peterson. McFadden relies heavily on speed and he takes on alot of contact head on. McFadden has to learn how to NOT take so many big hits or he won't last that long. He could be great but RBs have such a short shelf life and McFadden has some character issues. I see him as a perfect fit for the Raiders or Jets. One of them will get Gholston and the other will get McFadden......I like Mendenhall alot at RB........just as much as McFadden. Mendenhall is more of a all around back.....better at short yardage with 4.45 speed (good speed). MacFadden is the home run hitter with 3.35 speed.

I know little about Hutchins and Coleman but they seem adequate but neither are a #1 corners. Coleman should be an upgrade at FS.....If Jimmy Williams can't capitalize on his athletic ability and learn the position then Coleman can make the "safe and expected" plays.

I know even less about Hutchins (did he come frm the Texans ?)but I hope he is an upgrade over Sanders and Webster's cover skills. I hear he is more of a nickle back on other websites. So I guess that means he is on the small side ?

I guess Houston is our best corner now and Irons may push Hutchins for the starting job. I really liked Irons coming out of Auburn last year at CB (b/c I see alot of SEC football). It will be interesting to see if we can get a CB in the 2nd round who can step in and be better then either: Houston, Hutchins, or Irons. there are definately some corners available in the 2nd and 3rd round but there is no way to tale how effective they will be in year #1.

Quote:

I agree (except for Ainge.)

I like Woodson alot IF he can get that wrist twitch out of his wind up and release. His release is not Byron Leftwich slow but its close to being that slow. That is the only thing keeping him out of the 2nd round. That night game win in LSU's "Death Valley" , when LSU was #1, showed his upside. His shining moment is much more impressive then Ryan's win over Virgania Tech on Boston College's home turf.

Don't be fooled by Ainge. UT had the best O-Line in the country last year. Their O-line bulldozed the Dawgs like no one else did all season. That O-Line made Ainge look good....he had all day to throw. Watch Ainge his junior and sophmore season with an average O-Line. Its a different story.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Coach...

Secondly..

As far McFadden goes.............With Michael Turner signing as a FA I don't think he will even be considered. I see McFadded as a big Reggie Bush more then a small Adreian Peterson. McFadden relies heavily on speed and he takes on alot of contact head on. McFadden has to learn how to NOT take so many big hits or he won't last that long. He could be great but RBs have such a short shelf life and McFadden has some character issues. I see him as a perfect fit for the Raiders or Jets. One of them will get Gholston and the other will get McFadden......I like Mendenhall alot at RB........just as much as McFadden. Mendenhall is more of a all around back.....better at short yardage with 4.45 speed (good speed). MacFadden is the home run hitter with 3.35 speed.

I know little about Hutchins and Coleman but they seem adequate but neither are a #1 corners. Coleman should be an upgrade at FS.....If Jimmy Williams can't capitalize on his athletic ability and learn the position then Coleman can make the "safe and expected" plays.

I know even less about Hutchins (did he come frm the Texans ?)but I hope he is an upgrade over Sanders and Webster's cover skills. I hear he is more of a nickle back on other websites. So I guess that means he is on the small side ?

I guess Houston is our best corner now and Irons may push Hutchins for the starting job. I really liked Irons coming out of Auburn last year at CB (b/c I see alot of SEC football). It will be interesting to see if we can get a CB in the 2nd round who can step in and be better then either: Houston, Hutchins, or Irons. there are definately some corners available in the 2nd and 3rd round but there is no way to tale how effective they will be in year #1.

Sad to say, I was unaware of Turner. I think that was a good pickup. Still, I think that McFadden will be a Dorsett kind of guy. I agree with you that he takes a lot of shots and it's mainly because he doesn't seem to have blow by you speed. He has speed but not quick change of direction kind of speed. He has a lot of power but he's not exactly Bo Jackson. He's elusive but not Barry Sanders. He's going to be the second coming of Tony Dorsett... He will be the guy who gets the ball and if he has adequate blocking, he will make a 6 to 8 yard drives. If he has some blocking 3 to 4. If they can get him up to 215, he can be another Eddie George or Gerald Riggs. But in the NFL, he's a between the tackles kind of guy.

I can understand why we gave up Hall. He's one of my favorite characters, but he hardly backed up what he said on this level.

We need One guy in our secondary who will just punish people.

Like Denver = Atwater or San Fran = Lott. We need a guy who can just deliver punishing blows anytime a receiver catches a ball in the secondary. That's what I'm hoping for in Coleman. I mean the new coach is a guy who likes punishing players.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I agree (except for Ainge.)

I like Woodson alot IF he can get that wrist twitch out of his wind up and release. His release is not Byron Leftwich slow but its close to being that slow. That is the only thing keeping him out of the 2nd round. That night game win in LSU's "Death Valley" , when LSU was #1, showed his upside. His shining moment is much more impressive then Ryan's win over Virgania Tech on Boston College's home turf.

Don't be fooled by Ainge. UT had the best O-Line in the country last year. Their O-line bulldozed the Dawgs like no one else did all season. That O-Line made Ainge look good....he had all day to throw. Watch Ainge his junior and sophmore season with an average O-Line. Its a different story.

About Ainge.. That's hard to say. This kid got all the stuff. He's 6'6" he's got a gun... he's pretty accurate. I think at the college level you can say the offensive Line or the WR makes the difference for most QBs. The difference when they get to the pros is poise.

The hogs is where it's at. Those guys in the trenches that do all the dirty work but don't

get the press that those guys with the"star" label get.

On offense, if the line can't open the hole, what is the running back going to do? If they

can't hold off the pass rush, what is the QB to do except eat the ball?

On defense, how are you going to stop the run if you get pushed around? How can you

stop the passing game if you can't put any pressure on their QB?

Trading down appeals to me. Someone is sure to want that QB that is expected to

go @ #3. If they want him bad enough, they will offer a sweet deal to get #3.

There are, apparently, several players that we could use later in the draft. We

have so many holes to fill, the more picks we have, the better our chances are

to fill these holes.

We'll soon see.

Mcfadden is going to be the biggest bust of all the top 10 players from this draft. Go back and watch him at Arkansas. HE DOESNT BREAK TACKLES! Sure he has great speed and I'm sure he will break a few but he just isnt the great back that everyone seems to make him out to be. He runs too tall as well. I would take Stewart or Mendenhall in a heartbeat over him.

As far as Ellis goes, I guess he would be a nice consolation prize if we lose out on Dorsey but only if we can trade back to draft him. If we stay at 3 it has to be Ryan if Dorsey is gone.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Mcfadden is going to be the biggest bust of all the top 10 players from this draft. Go back and watch him at Arkansas. HE DOESNT BREAK TACKLES! Sure he has great speed and I'm sure he will break a few but he just isnt the great back that everyone seems to make him out to be. He runs too tall as well. I would take Stewart or Mendenhall in a heartbeat over him.

As far as Ellis goes, I guess he would be a nice consolation prize if we lose out on Dorsey but only if we can trade back to draft him. If we stay at 3 it has to be Ryan if Dorsey is gone.

I don't think you need to be a great tackle breaker to make it in the NFL. OJ and Eric Dickerson were tall runners and I think they made it. I see a lot of Tony Dorsett in this guy. Great open field speed. Some elusivity... but he has a toughness about him. He's going to be a 3 down back who is capable of breaking a big one if he gets daylight.