• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marvin is a complete bust

joshuaneder

Quote:

Marvin is the first player in NBA history to average 15 ppg in his 3rd season and be a bust. Congrats Marvin!

YOu forgot in his 2nd season as a starter as the youngest player on one of the youngest teams in the league (possibly youngest in post-season history)

There have been lots of overreactions we have made this post-season. JJ is STILL a star. Josh Smith is STILL a key piece to this franchise.

Our guys looked exactly how such a young inexperienced squad should look playing one of the most focused teams this league has ever seen

Quote:

Quote:

Marvin is the first player in NBA history to average 15 ppg in his 3rd season and be a bust. Congrats Marvin!

YOu forgot in his 2nd season as a starter as the youngest player on one of the youngest teams in the league (possibly youngest in post-season history)

There have been lots of overreactions we have made this post-season. JJ is STILL a star. Josh Smith is STILL a key piece to this franchise.

Our guys looked exactly how such a young inexperienced squad should look playing one of the most focused teams this league has ever seen

*Coughs* Philly

Marvin's not a complete bust (not yet), but relative to his selection as the #2 overall pick in the draft, he's a tremendous disappointment to me. I keep hoping and praying that suddenly the light bulb will go off in his head and he'll start making that great Leap forward, but honestly he doesn't even look to be athletic enough to become anything more than just an average NBA player, if even that.

It's a damn shame that all the scouts were so wrong about him, and as a result we got hoodwinked. In hindsight, I cannot fathom what they saw in Marvin to make them come to the conclusion that he was this massive talent with upward potential through the roof, and a guy who was very likely destined to become a major, major star.

Marvin started the season extremely strong... I think he was shooting close to 50% from the field... until he injured his wrist. Ever since then his jump shot has been very inconsistent. He probably is a bust because he doesn't have superstar potential that most #2 have, but he is not a complete scrub by any means.

Quote:

He probably is a bust because he doesn't have superstar potential that most #2 have, but he is not a complete scrub by any means.

No he's not a complete scrub, and there is always the hope of dramatic improvement- no matter how realistic or unrealistic that hope might be, it's still there. Hope lives until it's dead, and in Marvin's case it's not dead yet.

He's certainly not a bust on the level of a Darko Milicic for example, but at this point Marvin still leaves an awful lot to be desired- and again, that's relative to his status as a #2 overall. It's not his numbers, because he did score almost 15 points a game this season and those numbers are bound to improve with experience and playing time..... it's just his overall approach- his passivity and lack of aggression on the court, and how shockingly unathletic and clumsy he looks out there. I mean sometimes it looks like he can't even get out of his own way.

Looking at the overall package we see today, it's really hard to imagine Marvin ever being considered an elite player, what you would hope to and by all rights should get out of a #2. In my opinion he's got a long, long, long way to go as a player. All we can do is hope he gets there, or at least comes somewhere close to that neighborhood.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He is a 15/6 player in his 3rd season that shoots 46% from the field and 82% from the line. Guys like that might be disappointments but they aren't busts regardless of where they are picked.

He is a 15/6 player on a losing team... he has no aggressiveness to him and on any other team in the league, he'd be bench fodder. He has been given opportunity after opportunity to prove himself, but he's just a guy who is not going to step up. Just like in college, he prefers the view from behind. He has little work ethic and he still makes the same mistakes he made 2 years ago. He has a bandwagon of fans who hope against hope that this year he will step it up and yet and still he doesn't. He has only taken over one game in his career and that was against the Weak Sonics team in front of his family and friends in his hometowns. Unfortunately, you can cross that Seattle trip off the schedule..

So what do we have? We have a guy taking up a starting spot... causing a log jam.. and really not producing what we need.

You can quote stats all day Senor stat. However, if the stats he's bringing in makes no impact on weather or not we win... then those stats are what I call Meaningless.

So what does that make Josh Smith, who is the number 2 option and in his 4 year?

Uhm, Josh Smith is 6th in the DPOY award. He has also improved every year he has played.

You and senor stat want to explain Marvin by what... Bringing up Smoove or Chillz?? Wonderful logic there. I guess when you can't defend the guy... try to divert the attention elsewhere.

• Premium Member

Quote:

He's certainly not a bust on the level of a Darko Milicic for example

Very interesting. Had Darko gotten the minutes that Marv gets... Darko wouldn't have been a bust. Darko got some confidence issues. No, for Marv it's just a case of not being that good and not being able to overcome it.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He is a 15/6 player in his 3rd season that shoots 46% from the field and 82% from the line. Guys like that might be disappointments but they aren't busts regardless of where they are picked.

He is a 15/6 player on a losing team... he has no aggressiveness to him and on any other team in the league, he'd be bench fodder. He has been given opportunity after opportunity to prove himself, but he's just a guy who is not going to step up. Just like in college, he prefers the view from behind. He has little work ethic and he still makes the same mistakes he made 2 years ago. He has a bandwagon of fans who hope against hope that this year he will step it up and yet and still he doesn't. He has only taken over one game in his career and that was against the Weak Sonics team in front of his family and friends in his hometowns. Unfortunately, you can cross that Seattle trip off the schedule..

So what do we have? We have a guy taking up a starting spot... causing a log jam.. and really not producing what we need.

You can quote stats all day Senor stat. However, if the stats he's bringing in makes no impact on weather or not we win... then those stats are what I call Meaningless.

So what does that make Josh Smith, who is the number 2 option and in his 4 year?

Uhm, Josh Smith is 6th in the DPOY award. He has also improved every year he has played.

You and senor stat want to explain Marvin by what... Bringing up Smoove or Chillz?? Wonderful logic there. I guess when you can't defend the guy... try to divert the attention elsewhere.

He only was 6th becuase of his stats and nothing else. Marvin has made major improvment each year as well. He is not CP3 or Deron but I knew he was never that good. I need more reasons, Smtih might be slightly better but not worth 30 million more.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Marvin has made major improvment each year as well.

Let see:

Per 36 minutes

Rookie: 12.4 ppg, 1.2 apg, 7.1 rpg, 44%FG, 24%3pt, 1.5 topg

Soph: 13.9 ppg, 2.0 apg, 5.6 rpg, 43% FG, 24% 3pt, 2.1 topg

Now: 15.4 ppg, 1.8 apg, 6.0 rpg, 46% FG, 10% 3pt, 1.7 topg

Where is this major improvement?

Let's see... in 3 yrs, his ppg total has gone up 3 pts.

In 3 yrs, his rebounds have gone down 1.1 rpg.

IN =3 yrs, his apg has gone up by .6 assist.

Where's the MAJOR IMPROVEMENT?

Plus, Turnover has increased.

During that same time...

Smith's PPG has gone up 4 pts per 36.

His rebounds has gone up 0.9 reb per 36

His assists has gone up 1.0 ap36.

His FG% has gone from 42.5 to 45.7%

I don't call that major improvement, but that something worthy of talk!

Quote:

Quote:

Let see:

Per 36 minutes

During that same time...

He also attempted 94 3 pt. attempts for 24.5% rookie season total,

while only attempting 10 this whole season.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Let see:

Per 36 minutes

During that same time...

So Kimsey... are you saying that these are MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS... come on man.

A SF shooting 10 3 pters all season is questionable. No wonder we can't dislodge anybody from the paint!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Let see:

Per 36 minutes

During that same time...

So Kimsey... are you saying that these are MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS... come on man.

A SF shooting 10 3 pters all season is questionable. No wonder we can't dislodge anybody from the paint!

Williams dropped from 3 option to 4th and Horford was getting some of shots as well. More importantly his play watching the game improved. He a lot better then he was last year, and much better then he was two years ago. He actually drew fouls this season, he showed the he can be aggressive and he disappears less and less.

Quote:

No man I'm with you, if he woulda taken as many 3 pointers as he did in his rookie season his field goal % would be somewhere below 40% I think.

He's basically the same player he was his rookie season.

Wow, you really have no clue then. He was trash as a rookie. He was flat out horrible. Last year his game was half complete. This year he still has quite a few flaws I don't like but he is much improved, especially on defense.

Quote:

Quote:

No man I'm with you, if he woulda taken as many 3 pointers as he did in his rookie season his field goal % would be somewhere below 40% I think.

He's basically the same player he was his rookie season.

Wow, you really have no clue then. He was trash as a rookie. He was flat out horrible. Last year his game was half complete. This year he still has quite a few flaws I don't like but he is much improved, especially on defense.

Per 36 minutes

I'm not a stat guy but those numbers don't lie. He rpg are better and he was shooting 44% to 46% while attempting around 84 more 3 pointers as a rookie while only attempting 10 this season. How much does the field goal percentage change after that?

Hardly any difference in block, steals, and assist per too. He actually committed less turnovers per game as a rookie.

I'm not a Marvin fan...but I'm a Hawks fan so I hope he improves. The thing I cannot FATHOM is that Marvin doesn't shoot threes - WTF? The guy has a fairly sweet stroke from 15-17...3 point shooting is IMPORTANT in this league. I'm Flabbergasted. Kick_Can_emoticon.gif

How many NBA SFs can't (or won't) shoot a three?