• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Avery Johnson fired.

Diesel

I guess the ASG needs to fire Woody right now, in order to get Avery . . lol. If Avery still wants to coach, he'll have a job by Friday. Ish, the Knicks and Heat are probably talking to him as we speak. Cuban will probably bring in Del Harris or somebody.

LOL . . I bet Larry Brown is pizzed right now.

I guess they wanted Avery to go out there and check Paul. I don't know how hard he pushed for the Kidd deal, but if that was his thing then that could be the reason, because it's obvious Jason is declining. Cuban went on record as saying he took a huge financial loss in that deal.

I sure hope they didnt just put Kidd in his lap and say, "Here, this team is now championship quality, so get us there or else." It was obvious from the beginning that J.Kidd and the Mavs weren't going to do much.

Maybe this is still the fallout from last year, too. At any rate, I like Avery and he can coach my team any day. If I had a team that is.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Unreasonable expectations can lead to some pretty stupid decisions. Looks like a couple really good coaches could become available b/c of an extremely tough year in the Western Conf.

Making it past the first round of the playoffs is unreasonable??

Dallas isn't a team that can be patient. They need to win a championship NOW and they have looked absolutely uninspired in the playoffs since their finals appearance... This was the right move by them... they need to inject some fresh faces into that team because it didn't look like they were even close to competing for a championship since their embarrassment in GS. The roster will most likely see a significant face-lift also.

The move has a lot less to do with Avery's ability to coach, then it does with shaking things up and hoping to find championship chemistry.

Quote:

Dallas isn't a team that can be patient. They need to win a championship NOW and they have looked absolutely uninspired in the playoffs since their finals appearance... This was the right move by them... they need to inject some fresh faces into that team because it didn't look like they were even close to competing for a championship since their embarrassment in GS. The roster will most likely see a significant face-lift also.

The move has a lot less to do with Avery's ability to coach, then it does with shaking things up and hoping to find championship chemistry.

I agree completely. The Mavs window of opportunity which seemed so gapingly open just a few years ago is closing rapidly by the minute. I'm not sure they can even be considered legit championship contenders any longer in spite of the presence of Dirk. They looked to have it all and should probably have won a title along the way, but in my opinion they blew it, whether that's Avery's fault, Cuban's, the players, or the just a random act by the basketball gods.

They're done, and they've looked old, tired, and uninspired for awhile now. I'm not surprised in the least that Avery took the fall for that.

Quote:

Quote:

Unreasonable expectations can lead to some pretty stupid decisions. Looks like a couple really good coaches could become available b/c of an extremely tough year in the Western Conf.

Firing a coach for not getting out of the 1st rnd against a 2 seed is reactionary. I agree that they have a small window but they're making all the wrong moves. Pheonix and Dallas both made impatient moves after the Gasol trade and both were worse off for it. While teams (Sa & NO) that had the benefit of playing together all year took them out in 5.

Quote:

I guess the ASG needs to fire Woody right now, in order to get Avery . . lol. If Avery still wants to coach, he'll have a job by Friday. Ish, the Knicks and Heat are probably talking to him as we speak. Cuban will probably bring in Del Harris or somebody.

LOL . . I bet Larry Brown is pizzed right now.

No need to fire woody, just let him walk. There are quality coaches without jobs right now and ownership needs to keep all their options open. Atleast talk to avery's reps or any other possible candidates to see what transpires.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Firing a coach for not getting out of the 1st rnd against a 2 seed is reactionary. I agree that they have a small window but they're making all the wrong moves. Pheonix and Dallas both made impatient moves after the Gasol trade and both were worse off for it. While teams (Sa & NO) that had the benefit of playing together all year took them out in 5.

San Antonio (multiple championships) and NO (young) can afford to be patient. Dallas is in a different situation... They are like the Kings from two years ago, sooner or later they will have to rebuild, and they know that if they don't win a championship soon they won't win one for a Long Long time... Not saying it's a "good" move, but it's definitely an understandable one.

Quote:

Guys, with the way that roster is configured, I consider their window officially closed. A new coach won't change that, IMO.

Yeah I agree with this... the Jason Kidd trade was one of the worst in recent memory (Shaq-Marion was also idiotic) -- Devin Harris is better than J-Kidd RIGHT NOW and is locked up for years (Kidd makes $20M+ next year), plus he's improving and they gave up multiple picks. The Nets could be dangerous in a couple years

Kidd is a great player no question but he would have been a good playoff addition to stabilize a team that needed toughness, experience, and leadership... and not at the expense of Harris. With Harris, Dirk, Josh Howard, Diop that team was built to contend for years... now they're behind a younger LA & NO and have to hope age catches up PHO & SA

Quote:

Mark Cuban is an idiot! Avery is one of the best young coaches who got beat by a Hornets team that is extremely talented and the Mavs really declined with JKidd another move made mainly b/c of Cuban.

Cuban was a firebrand owner who wanted to march through the league and win a championship and show off (IMO) - he has recently acted a bit idiotically I'll admit (at least it has worked out that way). Still, I really don't think many thought CP3 would torch Kidd as bad as he did. I would imagine Cuban will be back though. He doesn't look like a quitter.

The Roster does have it's downfalls, but that doesn't mean Avery doesn't deserve blame for the Mavs' weak play. He's not a very good coach, honestly.

He doesn't make sensible adjustments, his offensive "system" is predictable and has devolved every year, and he thinks his gameplan takes precedence over the players. I do like how he conformed Dirk, but you could tell he and Kidd weren't gonna work out, because he wasn't willing to adjust the offense. He unsuccessfully tried to conform Harris, and by most accounts, Nets fans say he's now playing well.

There was no reason to keep him.

• Moderators

Quote:

Josh Howard is an overrated druggie. That is Dallas problem. They would be wise to trade him while he has value. He was TERRIBLE in this series, TERRIBLE.

They must severely regret turning down Pau Gasol for Howard earlier this year. Ouch. After nixing the Gasol trade and dealing for Kidd, the Dallas GM needs to be the one on the chopping block.