• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why Smith shouldn't shoot 3s

exodus

Quote:

Yeah because the best way to shoot when you are not a good shooter is to get closer to your defender.

Besides I'd rather have smoove shoot 3's than midrange J's. Most NBA players are better 3 pt shooters than midrange shooters. It is a symptom of playground culture. Go to Run N' Shoot tonite and watch a game. I bet you will see most people either try to drive or shoot a 3...which is funny because 3's don't even count in streetball.

You are proving to be extraordinarily dense.

Josh Smith = MONEY in the paint.

Josh Smith = NIGHTMARE with the jump shot.

Get into the paint and score or get fouled. He is actually quite good at that.

Quote:

He has to shoot. If he doesn't shoot outside shots there is nothing to keep a defender from being halfway honest. I don't care if you are Lebron or MJ you cant drive when everyone has collapsed into the lane...it is a charge waiting to happen. This is what Detroit finally learned about Philly.

There's a big difference between a mid-range jumper and a 3. He has to have a mid-range jumper. He should rarely if ever be outside the 3 point line, and he currently spends about 85% of his time out there.

You are acting as if Josh is running off of screens and shooting 3's like Rip Hamilton. When Josh shoots an outside shot it is usually as a result of a clearout for Joe and a bailout pass if JJ has not shot. In any other case Josh has the ball on a clearout but he doesn't have a clear lane to drive because the defender steps off. He'd have to be an imbecile to drive into a clogged lane at that point. So he has to shoot unless you want him to pass to a covered defender.

• Moderators

Quote:

You are acting as if Josh is running off of screens and shooting 3's like Rip Hamilton. When Josh shoots an outside shot it is usually as a result of a clearout for Joe and a bailout pass if JJ has not shot. In any other case Josh has the ball on a clearout but he doesn't have a clear lane to drive because the defender steps off. He'd have to be an imbecile to drive into a clogged lane at that point. So he has to shoot unless you want him to pass to a covered defender.

He is better off passing the ball to someone else and setting an immediate screen for them.

If I were the Celtics I would give Josh Smith a wide open 3 every possession, every game until he hit two in a row. At that point, I would apply token pressure for little while and then sag bag off him. I would love it for him to shoot open 3 after open 3 on offense.

• Moderators

Quote:

You're right Josh Smith should just not shoot unless its a dunk. Close thread.

What is the difference between Josh shooting 3's and Horford shooting 3's?

The TS% on Josh Smith taking a 3 is about 38%. That is god aweful. Why would you ever want to take an offensive option with that terrible a return?

Quote:

There's a big difference between a mid-range jumper and a 3. He has to have a mid-range jumper. He should rarely if ever be outside the 3 point line, and he currently spends about 85% of his time out there.

Totally agree. You cant justify shooting 3's when your perc. is 25%. For some reason when

Josh sees some room between himself and the defender, he is thinking "shoot" a lot of the time. It seems like there is a disconnect between how good of an outside shooter he is in his own mind and how good he is in reality.

Quote:

Totally agree. You cant justify shooting 3's when your perc. is 25%. For some reason when Josh sees some room between himself and the defender, he is thinking "shoot" a lot of the time. It seems like there is a disconnect between how good of an outside shooter he is in his own mind and how good he is in reality.

Mike Fratello even did a telestrator about this very topic during Game 4 concerning Josh taking outside shots. The play happened near the end of the 3rd quarter.

JJ was being doubled, and sees Smith wide open at the top of the arc. He passes it to Smith, who is hell bent on taking a 3 because he thinks he's open. The entire time, KG was watching both JJ and Smith, and raced out to Smith as soon as he gathered himself to shoot.

The result: An airball by Smith.

Fratello, as he's breaking down this play, states that a 25% 3-point shooter like Smith should've drove the basketball to the hole. He even draws how Smith should've put the ball on the floor, as KG wildly came out at him. He either forces KG to gather himself to defend Smith, or Smith makes a play toward the basket that sees him either creating a scoring chance for himself, or someone else.

Smith is one of the WORST jumpshooters in the NBA. Evryone seems to know this, except him. His improvement as an offensive player hs come from the fact that he can take bigger guys off the dribble and get to the hole.

But Smoove has this Rasheed Wallace mentality about him that will have him be considered good, but not great.

Smith, when he drove the ball last night, almost always produced something positive. He was 10 - 10 FT last night, but only hit 3 FGs ( none of those outside of 12 feet ).

Smith taking 3's, is like Monta Ellis or Tony Parker taking 3's. Yea, they can make them every once in a while, but why go away from constanly driving the ball at people and scoring, just to prove that you can make an open 21 foot shot or 3-pointer?

Quote:

It doesn't work that way. We don't have many stars on this team and in order for the Hawks to become legit contenders we will probably need smith to become one. He won't become a star until he learns to play smart.

Y'know, I've been thinking that all year. As much as I love Smoove and his style of play, he needs to delete the 3-point shot immediately. He is an above the rim type player, he should be trying to cut to the rim as much as possible, with the occasional jump shot here and there. He should not be taking shots from 3, no matter how open he is. Isn't his percentage like 25%?

I agree. He's damn good right now, and he'll be better once he realizes that, with his style of play, cutting to the rim and dunking on someone's forehead > taking a jumpshot. He's gotta realize that guys LET him take shots for a reason.

If he were closer to the rim more often on offense, he'd consistently get 3 - 4 offensive rebounds a game, which may lead to 2 - 4 extra points a game via putbacks, or getting fouled on the putback.

In 4 years, his jumper hasn't improved, but his post scoring and ability to get to the hole has. It's obvious that he should just play to his strengths more. Obvious to everyone, but him. And that will keep him from being great.

Just like the argument I made when I suggested Josh should be moved to the 4, he is flat out a better basketball player the closer he is to the rim.

With the way he can slash vs guys at that position and finish above the rim, no way should he be taking 3s like that.

Developing a 15 footer while open is understandable, but stop taking 3s!