• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Woody irate that Horford got snubbed

Admin

Hawks coach Mike Woodson was irate Wednesday that center Al Horford didn't at least share the NBA Rookie of the Year award with the Seattle SuperSonics' Kevin Durant.

"It's a travesty and it's not right," Woodson said Wednesday night before Atlanta's Game 5 loss to Boston, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "He should have shared it, if not gotten it outright. And I don't want to hear about us not being on TV or anything like that. It doesn't matter. It's what this kid has done for this team.

"We haven't had a power forward/center come in our league and do what he's done [average a double-double] in I don't know how many years. I mean, come on, man."

Horford averaged 10.1 points and 9.7 rebounds, helping the Hawks back to the NBA playoffs for the first time in nine years.

Durant, officially announced for the honor Thursday, is the bright spot on a dismal basketball scene in Seattle. The Sonics won only 20 games and are expected to move to Oklahoma City as soon as next season.

The 19-year-old is the first Seattle player to win the award, which was widely reported on Wednesday. He joins a legacy that includes Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan and LeBron James.

Durant lived up to expectations after being the national college player of the year at Texas and the No. 2 overall pick in last June's draft.

He averaged 20.3 points and was named Western Conference rookie of the month five times. He beat out Atlanta's Al Horford and Houston's Luis Scola for the annual award.