• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Playoff Stats: Player Efficiency Rating

Brotha2ThaNite

Kenny Smith just said, You know what the playoffs does to a player? IT SHOWS THAT PLAYER'S TRUE WEAKNESS.

Well, check out this.

Player Efficiency Rating - Center

Out or 23 Centers...

8th Al Horford, 15.47

link

Player Efficiency Rating - Power Forward

Out or 30 PF...

7th Josh Smith, 21.83

link

Player Efficiency Rating - Small Forward

Out or 30 SF...

18th Josh Childress, 11.01

22nd Marvin Williams, 9.56

24th Andre Iguodala, 8.77 whistling.gif

link

Player Efficiency Rating - Shooting Guard

Out or 28 SG...

4th Joe Johnson, 18.69

link

Player Efficiency Rating - Point Guard

Out or 27 PG...

11th Acie Law, 18.16

26 Mike Bibby, 6.52 help%20wanted3.gif

link

Some players don't like the playoff pressure. Others seem to thrive on it. right now it certainly appears that Smith, JJ and Horford don't seem to be the least bit fazed by the playoff pressure.

their numbers realistically don't show how good they have played. They are going against the best defense in the league. Smith and Horford are playing in their first playoff series. Smith's rating would be a lot higher i am sure if he wasn't 3-17 from 3.

I think most here would see JJ, Smith and Horford as core players who shouldnt be traded unless we get an offer we can't refuse. Since that is the case it is good to know the playoff pressure doesn't seem to bother them.

When you see those numbers for Bibby, you almost wish the cat would turn an ankle and be out for the rest of the series. Absolutely pathetic. All those people complainong about Chill or Marvin, doesn't even compare to how Bibby is killing us, especially in Boston.

Acie should be the starter by default next year, and have Bibby assume the Tyronn Lue role. And if Speedy is healthy, have Bibby assume Salim's role, until we trade him for a few nice role players.

His lack of playmaking is what kills me. Averaging 1 assist in 3 games in Boston?

I don't like the PER stat at all. It overvalues shooting and undervalues efficient shooting and most other stats (rebounds, turnovers...). I like the win score stat much better, PER just isn't my thing. With that being said, it isn't surprising to see Acie with a higher PER than Bibby, its a small sample size for Acie and a large sample size of Bibby not performing well at all.

• Premium Member

Really sucks because I'm still a huge Bibby fan, and have always liked Bibby even from his days in Vancouver/Sacramento, but he's struggling bigtime.. I really want him to do well. I can't wait until next year, hopefully the tape on his two fingers is gone and we can see him for real, but regardless he's nowhere near as quick as he used to be..

Quote:

Have you ever looked at the actual formula? Pointing to one instance is not a great way to refute a claim.

No i haven't looked at the formula, but the only thing Childress does well is score efficiently and his PER has always been high.

Quote:

Acie is a good PG that can break defenses down. But no way he can replace Bibby. Mike is a big shot maker, he plays the pg position very smart and no way can Acie replace those big 3's Bibby makes

This is an excellent point. We have to pick up another 3 point shooter at the 2 or 3 if we get rid of Bibby. I realize Bibby's accuracy from behind the arc has been pretty irrelevant in our playoff wins, but we cannot make it through a whole season w/o another long range shooter.

Quote:

Acie is a good PG that can break defenses down. But no way he can replace Bibby. Mike is a big shot maker, he plays the pg position very smart and no way can Acie replace those big 3's Bibby makes

Acie hit a lot of really big shots in college. I remember the main criticism that was made of our selection of Acie Law IV was that he was more of a scoring point than a true point. His shot hasn't exactly translated to the NBA, but he just needs to work on getting his feel from NBA range. I bet if he applied himself this offseason to really work on his jumpsshot, he come back at least a competant jumpshooter.

I just remember Acie really carrying Texas A&M while hitting clutch threes against teams like Texas and Texas Tech when he needed them. I'm not really surprised that it's taking his shot a while to carry over into the professional game, either. We'll eventually see some of that with Acie, even if he never becomes a GREAT shooter.

• Moderators

Quote:

I don't like the PER stat at all. It overvalues shooting and undervalues efficient shooting and most other stats (rebounds, turnovers...). I like the win score stat much better, PER just isn't my thing. With that being said, it isn't surprising to see Acie with a higher PER than Bibby, its a small sample size for Acie and a large sample size of Bibby not performing well at all.

Where do you find the win score stat?