• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is Mike Woodson's Job Saved?

TheDude

Quote:

I didn't say he was good. I said he was average. He should only be replaced by a good or great coach. No sense in making a change just to make one.

I agree.

I don't want a Paul Silas or some other average coach. I'd rather just keep Woody then do that b/c we may wind up with a even worse coach who struggless to communicate and coach the Hawks' unconventional roster. BTW I would love Silas as an assistant but not the HC.

We have to remember just how unconventional of a roster we have. I don't think just any coach would know how to deal with them. We still lack that offensive post presence that most half court sets are structured around. I don't want a coach who has alwayse had good teams with a low post presence b/c we are the opposite of that right now.

Give us Mike Fratello or Avery Johnson or Mike D'Antonie. If not give me Woody another year. All 3 have coached teams succesfully without a true low post presence. D'Antonie really over achieved the year Stroudemire was hurt and started our cast off, 6'9'' , 235 lbs Diaw, at center. Sure Nash was running the show but the coach had something to do with it as well.

This Hawks team is finally fixing itself. I don't want some average coach impeeding his will on this roster and the team take a step backwards rather then building on what has gotten them where they stand today.

No, I'm not saying he didn't try to fire him. I'm sure he did, and that's part of his duties as GM.

Where I'm saying your wrong is saying that the insults were started by BK. BK never took it (or anything ... ever) to the media. The rumors got out and now Woody is more or less calling him out publicly every chance he gets.

I don't see how there could be any argument that BK has behaved professionally and Woody has not on this particular issue.

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't say he was good. I said he was average. He should only be replaced by a good or great coach. No sense in making a change just to make one.

I agree.

I don't want a Paul Silas or some other average coach. I'd rather just keep Woody then do that b/c we may wind up with a even worse coach who struggless to communicate anc coach our unconventional roster.

We have to remember just how unconventional of a roster we have. I don't think just any coach would know how to deal with them.

Give us Mike Fratello or Avery Johnson or Mike D'Antonie. If not give me Woody another year.

This Hawks team is finally fixing itself. I don't want some average coach impeeding his will on this roster and the team take a step backwards rather then building on what has gotten them where they stand today.

Let me get this straight, you think Woody is roughly as good at coaching than Paul Silas is? If so I am stunned and could not disagree more.

Quote:

What bothers me the most about this media spin is how much he is poor mouthing his own team, making them out to be young players who never had a prayer of winning 37 games but for his amazing coaching job. With the talent on this team plus the addition of Bibby plus no injuries this year worth mentioning, 37 is not something to write home.

Generally, I agree that Woodson has every right to make his case for why he should stay i the media.

I agree Woodson has the right to lobby for his job in the media, but that doesn't make it professional or particluarly tasteful. In many ways he's not only calling out BK, but he's also calling out the team owners. Maybe its because I was born and raised in the South, but that sort of self-promotion is just classless, IMO. This then leads to, if Woodson behaves this poorly in the public eye, how bad is he with the players? Which then leads to, is this REALLY the guy you want being the main mouthpiece for the organization?

I guess I see Woody's self-promotion as another strike against him. I will have a very hard time watching the Hawks next season if Woodson gets a new contract. I have a hard enough time watching this year believing the team woud be better with someone else.

With LB gone- we need to bring Mike Fratello home! Mike seems to understand the Hawks extremely well. His insights have been very good during the series.

Let me get this straight, you think Woody is roughly as good at coaching than Paul Silas is? If so I am stunned and could not disagree more.

Yes, I am saying Paul Silas is not the equivalent of Mike Fratello, Avery Johnson, or Mike D'Antonie (Sp ?)

Yes, my opinion is Silas could not coach this Hawks roster any better then Woodson.

I think Woodson and Silas are both average coaches who would be excellent assistants. I think they could both coach veteran teams with solid big men very well. As Woody did with Detroits defense in 2004 and as Silas did for the Hornets in the late 90's.

Silas had some pretty succesful years for the Hornets but they still underachieved with him when you see he had very balanced rosters stocked with big man talent and true centers with Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn as his perimeter scorers and plenty of beast in the paint.

His Horents team had Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn in his prime with all these tradtional centers and PF with offensive game to run 1/2 court offense through.

Maglore (in his prime was very good), Elden Cambell (solid 7 foot scorer in his day), PJ Brown (coaches dream), Anthony Mason (monster in the post), Derrick Coleman (6'11'' and in his prime as skilled as anyone in the league in the post).........He also had vet wing defenders in Phills, Augmon, and Lynch. That team was built to win to win in the playoffs which they never got past the 2nd round......This Atlanta team is MUCH different then that and not nearly as playoff ready as those veteran and talented Horents teams.

That is alot of talent on that Hornets roster. To me an average coach can get give you that same production with that roster and a 2nd round playoff exit.....Including Woodson.........the Hawks roster is much younger and less talented then those teams. It takes an entirely different approach to coach those guys. Plus they play alot different in terms of style....I would love to see Woody's defensive mind get a hold of that defensive minded Hornets team after he did wonders with a VERY similar Pistons team in 2004.(Both Woody and Silas seem like the same style of coach / defensive minded.) That is why I think bringing in Silas would simply be a lateral move for changes sake.

Then in Cleveland he had a young Lebron James with Carlos Boozer and Big Z to feed in the post.

In Atlanta he will not have those big bruits in the paint to get you consistents buckets in half court sets. We also don't have any one as talented as Baron Davis or Lebron James for iso plays. JJ is good an all but guys are on the next tier.

I simply feel the teams he coached in the past were far more talented then these Hawks with a much more traditional post players on the roster then do these current Hawks. So for this current team Silas has done nothing to show my he can coach this current roster any better then Woodson has.

Meanwhile guys like D'Antonie (the year Stoudemire was hurt) and Fratello have won with alot less talent and Avery has won playing a unconventional offensive style without a true post scorer. I would alo be interested in giving John Calapari an interview. Don't hand him the job but give him an interview. I like his offensive approach since it maximizes the strength of our current roster.....Attack , Attack , Attack , kick out , then attack some more !

Quote:

I think he has earned another year and I want Woodson back UNLESS there is a CLEAR upgrade available. I would be willing to bring in D'Antoni (although I doubt he is fired) or Avery as I think both of them are excellent coaches who got shafted by poorly constructed lineups and micro management. I'm not willing to fire Woodson just to fire him. There absolutely has to be a clear upgrade available.

Dolf,

I think Woodson is the worst coach in the league, at least the worst I have seen, so anybody would be an upgrade. He makes so many mistakes every game it is unbelievable. I think he is working for less than anybody else, which is why he has the job. It would be easy to get a better coach but the ASG doesn't want to pay anybody.

Woody and BK have to both go, otherwise we are stuck with Marvin for eternity.

Hawk88

Quote:

With LB gone- we need to bring Mike Fratello home! Mike seems to understand the Hawks extremely well. His insights have been very good during the series.

My thoughts exactly.

My list: (Most all of us have the same top 2 or 3)

1. Mike Fratello

2. Avery Johnson

3. Mike D'Antonie

Interview: Terry Porter (great floor general when he played with an uptempo Blazers team that could favor this Hawks team with his help).

John Calapari - not sold on him but would like to see what he had to say behind closed doors.

I am almost convinced Mike already has the job in a gentleman's agreement. Mike really understands the team and the players strengths. He also talks about how he would utilize the team. I have been trying to hear if Mike would critsize Woodson, but he doesn't seem to do that, at least directly.

Well, I am probably just putting my wishful thinking into my interpretation of the broadcast. Mike is a very thorough broadcaster and does his research on teams regardless of who it is.

Quote:

Avery, Fratello, or D'antonio would all be huge upgrades to Woody. There are probably a couple other guys as well who would fit into that category.

Remember the mistake Toronto made by rehiring Sam Mitchell - and Mitchell had a ton more success then Woody has. Mitchell is o.k. but there are better options out there for Toronto.

75% sure he's saved

99% sure if we win tonight

Our record has improved every year and we won 2 games nobody gave us a shot at winning this post-season.

I just don't see them breaking that up going into next season regardless of how many wins we think he may be holding us back from

Quote:

As far as I can remember it was BK who rolled the first boulder onto Woody, LONG before Woody started taking shots at BK and using the media to try and save his job. I agree that it has been unprofessional, to a degree, but BK is the one who, for lack of a better term, started it.

Of course Woodson should be held accountable for his poor substitution patterns, poor offensive sets, etc. However, I am not entirely convinced that our poor half court offense is just on him. We will see though if/when he is replaced by another coach whether it was truly coaching mistakes or if we have too many dumb/lazy players.

um Knight never had an interview where he said "I tried to fire him 3 times".No it was reports from elsewhere.

They shouldn't re-hire him, but they will...especially if we win tonight. I just don't want to underachieve again throughout the regular season and have to deal with his many things that good coaches just dont do [or should do]. Especially since there are much better coaches out there. But to fire him just to fire him to bring in another average coach (at best) is just stupid. The ASG HAS to step their game up if they plan to not extend a new contract to Woodson so they can bring in a better coach Obviously, that means they will have to pay that coach more.

It's very rare that young coaches start out as excellent coaches. Woody has gotten better every year and has grown with the team. He has been much better in the playoffs and I expect much bigger things from the players and him next year if he returns. Like I have said many times though if there is a clear upgrade (like D'Antoni) then you do it. Otherwise you shouldn't make a move just to make a move. Consistency is important.

Quote:

It's very rare that young coaches start out as excellent coaches. Woody has gotten better every year and has grown with the team. He has been much better in the playoffs and I expect much bigger things from the players and him next year if he returns. Like I have said many times though if there is a clear upgrade (like D'Antoni) then you do it. Otherwise you shouldn't make a move just to make a move. Consistency is important.

I agree 100%

Young coach with young team is unbelievabl frustrating combination but look at what it's done for us.

Forced a game 6 vs best team in NBA.

We've improved every year. Who's to say we don't do it again next year?

Unless there is a big time name willing to come here, don't do it