• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I am still proud of the team

capstone21

• Premium Member

Quote:

You can't get much for Childress by himself just as you can't for Smith because they are both BYC players. The only way to get a good player in trade for Childress, Smith, or Marvin will be to include a big contract like Bibby or Speedy (if possible).

Not to mention I am tired of 1). seeing Marvin fumble the ball and 2). reading the endless complaints by the "fans" of this team regarding Marvin.

I understand your frustration with Marvin, but just because Marvin isn't doing what you want that doesn't mean you keep Childress. The Hawks need to make separate decisions on these two forwards.

Childress could easily be packaged with Zaza in a S&T.

If I understand the rule correctly we can take back half of salary so that's 1.8 and combine that with Zaza's 4 so we have 5.8 (+120%?) that we can take back unless we re-sign Chillz first and then trade him. Personally I would rather keep Childress than Marvin though. I like Marvin but I am worn out with all of the Marvin hate around here and it drives me nuts when he fumbles the ball away. We really hurt ourselves by not having a 3 that can score from beyond the arc or in the paint on a consistent basis.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

You can't get much for Childress by himself just as you can't for Smith because they are both BYC players. The only way to get a good player in trade for Childress, Smith, or Marvin will be to include a big contract like Bibby or Speedy (if possible).

Not to mention I am tired of 1). seeing Marvin fumble the ball and 2). reading the endless complaints by the "fans" of this team regarding Marvin.

I understand your frustration with Marvin, but just because Marvin isn't doing what you want that doesn't mean you keep Childress. The Hawks need to make separate decisions on these two forwards.

Childress could easily be packaged with Zaza in a S&T.

If that S&T is for a guy like Maggette I'm all for that. But we can't afford to trade for guys like Kapono. We need some savvy vets on this team ASAP and I'm not sure trading Childress would get us that.

• Premium Member

I don't understand how anyone could want Childress over Marvin.

Neither are very good, but with Marvin at least there's some hope for growth. Childress is and will be a role player. He's the kind of player that a really good team needs, not a team that's trying to develop young players.

They are not drastically different. Childress is much better at finishing and is more versatile for us. Marvin is a much better mid-range shooter and he's a better defender, but they are both very similarly valuable players. Considering that Marvin will cost more money in the long run and can bring us more value I would rather trade him. What worries me the most about Marvin is his inability to hold onto the ball when he gets pressured and his inability to finish regularly in the paint. I can live with him not being a 3pt shooter and I'm sure he will eventually develop that shot but I don't see any way that you wouldn't be concerned with his butter fingers.

Quote:

They are not drastically different. Childress is much better at finishing and is more versatile for us. Marvin is a much better mid-range shooter and he's a better defender, but they are both very similarly valuable players. Considering that Marvin will cost more money in the long run and can bring us more value I would rather trade him. What worries me the most about Marvin is his inability to hold onto the ball when he gets pressured and his inability to finish regularly in the paint. I can live with him not being a 3pt shooter and I'm sure he will eventually develop that shot but I don't see any way that you wouldn't be concerned with his butter fingers.

I too worry about Marvin and his upcoming contract, he is not really wanted around league circut so his price tag isn't too high.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Considering that Marvin will cost more money in the long run and can bring us more value I would rather trade him.

Marvin's cost should be irrelevant to the decision on whether to keep Childress. This was the year to evaluate Childress, and he was generally average. He remains the same energy player he was when he came into the league.

Is Childress good enough to keep at $6M+/year? I don't think so, and I think there will be enough WC teams interested that a S&T is a strong possibility. I know San Antonio will be interested, I think LA Clippers might be considering, New Orleans needs perimeter help, Dallas might take a peek, etc.

Bring in a veteran shooter and take one more season to evaluate Marvin on his own merit.

and on the flip side if you give Marvin another year and he doesn't improve there's no telling how much value you lost in a potential trade for him. I'm not saying he won't improve but he has to put work in this offseason like he has not done in any offseason yet.

Also, if you think the Spurs are interested in Childress then that should tell you something about why we SHOULD keep him for ourselves.

• Premium Member

Quote:

and on the flip side if you give Marvin another year and he doesn't improve there's no telling how much value you lost in a potential trade for him. I'm not saying he won't improve but he has to put work in this offseason like he has not done in any offseason yet.

Even in Marvin puts in another 15/5 season next year, he'll have as much value as people are giving him credit for around here.

Quote:

Also, if you think the Spurs are interested in Childress then that should tell you something about why we SHOULD keep him for ourselves.

You're right. Childress would be an awesome fit on the Hawks, if the Hawks had Tim Duncan.

Quote:

The inability to be mentally prepared and execute on the road is on the coaching staff. It's shocking how inept the team looked today in the biggest game of most of these guys' careers. Obviously, Woodson isn't cutting it.

I am proud of what the team has done this series. However, this series proves a few undeniable facts. 1. We're too talented to have finished with just 37 wins. 2. Woodson is not the coach to take us to the next level.

Some of you still want to put all of the blame on the coach, when the truth stares you right in the face.

When AJ played good in December, we won. When Bibby was playing good ball in March, we won.

When Bibby played halfway decent in this series at home, we won.

When our PGs have played like garbage this year, we've almost always lost.

Of course, you can do this with some other aspects of our team, but the PG spot is still an enigma with this squad that causes us to win or lose.

Many people said that Bibby had to have a great game today in order for us to win. He didn't . . again . . and we get blown out . . again.