• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marvin trades?

frosgrim

I still fault Woody the most. Just how much have Josh Smith and Marvin - our two least experienced players - developed over three years. Look at the potential that was never realized. They need something to substitute for those years of college coaching they missed. Horford got that college experience and look what he is doing. Not sure WHAT Woody is good at, but he's not a developer of young talent. I used to have a lot of hope for Marvin, but I'm not sure it's not too late. So trade him - - it might be better for the Hawks - - and Marvin.

Smith is such a fan favorite that I don't think he IS tradeable. Personally I would move him faster than Marvin - he just doesn't play smart and evidently no-one is getting through to him. I love the kid, but sometimes he plays like a super AAU player not a pro.

Like I said the root cause is the crappy coaching. The NBA now is not like when Woody came into the league and everyone had the fundimentals down, could play team ball, and were confident in themselves. He might work OK with veterans, but Woody still hasn't figured out the youngsters.

Everyone has said that Josh Smith couldn't do anything but block shots and dunk when he came into the NBA, that he couldn't dribble, understand an offensive (or defensive) set, etc and look where he is now after 4 years, on the brink of being one of the best in the game and while he deserves a lot of the credit for it to take anything away from the job that Woody and co. have done developing him is a crime.

Marvin certainly hasn't developed liked we hoped but maybe that's because he doesn't have the ability to be much more. Time will tell on that one. I hope I am wrong and that it has been Woody holding him back and he becomes a great player but at this point I really have my doubts that he will ever be much more than he is now.

My question besides Woody is what do the players like Williams and Smith do in the off season to improve? Its ridculous seeing players consistently miss open jump shots. Hire a blasted shooting coach to get the form down and shoot 200-400 jumpers a day. That is work ethic for you. Both of these players should want to expand their game and it just takes putting in the sweat and hard work to get better.

Larry Bird had it,Jordan,Magic great players become great by putting in the hard work. Perhaps these players today don't know what work ethic is? Your born with it and to improve you have to want it. Today's players want the money and don't want to put in the hard work to be a better jump shooter or many of the other facets of the game.

To win championships your going to have to have most likely 2 of the top 10 players in the game perhaps top 15. Marvin and Smith are no where near that so yes in the right deal either could be traded. Smith has potential but the right coach and to change his work ethic is needed. Marvin he has improved but I still see a player that doesn't have alot of instincts and just looks lost out there alot. He has one more yr then he is a free agent get something for him while you can. You simply can't have both on the same court to win championships way to small of a lineup.

Quote:

My question besides Woody is what do the players like Williams and Smith do in the off season to improve? Its ridculous seeing players consistently miss open jump shots. Hire a blasted shooting coach to get the form down and shoot 200-400 jumpers a day. That is work ethic for you. Both of these players should want to expand their game and it just takes putting in the sweat and hard work to get better.

Larry Bird had it,Jordan,Magic great players become great by putting in the hard work. Perhaps these players today don't know what work ethic is? Your born with it and to improve you have to want it. Today's players want the money and don't want to put in the hard work to be a better jump shooter or many of the other facets of the game.

To win championships your going to have to have most likely 2 of the top 10 players in the game perhaps top 15. Marvin and Smith are no where near that so yes in the right deal either could be traded. Smith has potential but the right coach and to change his work ethic is needed. Marvin he has improved but I still see a player that doesn't have alot of instincts and just looks lost out there alot. He has one more yr then he is a free agent get something for him while you can. You simply can't have both on the same court to win championships way to small of a lineup.

Smith has worked with former players during the past two off-seasons to improve his game. He still needs to work, but I do think that Smith is committed to becoming as good as he can be. He needs to work on the mental side of the game though.

Marvin spent the past two off-seasons working in Chapel Hill on his degree and some basketball. Mentally, Marvin has grown. You can tell in the interviews he now gives. You no longer he the scared kid, you hear a confident young man. Whereas Smith needs to improve his understanding of the game, Marvin has to work on the physical side of the game. I would love to see Marvin add 10 pounds of muscle in the off-season while working on his 3-point shooting. A post game can wait til next season.

Thus, both guys have worked on improving themselves, they just haven't put it all together, yet. I haven't given up hope on either player. The main difference in the two of them is agressiveness. Smith is too agressive in his attempt to win games, while Marvin is too passive. There are times when both show the right amount of discipline and agressiveness. Those are the games where they just take over quarters and halves. Marvin has the skill-set to be a border-line All-Star. Smith could be a perennial All-Star.

This potential is why I don't think trading either one makes sense. That said, you can never say a given player is untradable. You listen and evaluate. For example, you do pull the trigger on Marvin for Bogut. You don't on Marvin for Adam Morrison.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Smith has worked with former players during the past two off-seasons to improve his game. He still needs to work, but I do think that Smith is committed to becoming as good as he can be. He needs to work on the mental side of the game though.

Marvin spent the past two off-seasons working in Chapel Hill on his degree and some basketball. Mentally, Marvin has grown. You can tell in the interviews he now gives. You no longer he the scared kid, you hear a confident young man. Whereas Smith needs to improve his understanding of the game, Marvin has to work on the physical side of the game. I would love to see Marvin add 10 pounds of muscle in the off-season while working on his 3-point shooting. A post game can wait til next season.

Thus, both guys have worked on improving themselves, they just haven't put it all together, yet. I haven't given up hope on either player. The main difference in the two of them is agressiveness. Smith is too agressive in his attempt to win games, while Marvin is too passive. There are times when both show the right amount of discipline and agressiveness. Those are the games where they just take over quarters and halves. Marvin has the skill-set to be a border-line All-Star. Smith could be a perennial All-Star.

This potential is why I don't think trading either one makes sense. That said, you can never say a given player is untradable. You listen and evaluate. For example, you do pull the trigger on Marvin for Bogut. You don't on Marvin for Adam Morrison.

I believe that Smoove worked out with Hakeem maybe for a week or so at the behest of his agent. It was just one of those publicity moves just to make Smoove more marketable. (He's working on his post play). However, I think what is neccessary this offseason is for:

1. Horf, Smoove, Marv, Zaza, and Solo to go to a bonafide Big man's camp. They all can benefit from learning about post position and post defense. Smoove especially has bad footwork.

2. Marv and Solo needs to buy a GYM Membership. Marvin needs to work on his coordination and strengthen his core while Solo needs to add about 20 lbs of muscle.

3. Salim (if he returns), Law, and Chillz needs to spend part of their summer working out with Mark Price or Tim Hardaway or even John Lucas. Our PGs need to be good distributors and good shooters. Seriously, Chillz need to spend the summer working on Mechanics. If he's going to shoot that way, he has to be faster at it..otherwise, learn to shoot a different way. He needs to be able to drain a shot with a defender running at him and shooting from chest level... that's hard. However, I want him to work with price or Hardaway so that he can work those mechanics but more importantly, learn how to drive. One of the things that will be successful for the Hawks going forward is to have ball handlers that can drive and finish.

Thanks for the info guys on what Smoove and Marvin do in the off season. It still makes me wonder why they can't hit open jump shots though. How hard do these guys work working with the former players? Is it just alot of info and a few run throughs or do they literally work their #ss off?

There are many basketball players that play streetball not even pros who can hit open jumpshots and do the little things let alone make millions. Since being a pro basketball player is their livelyhood you would think these guys would be out working on the fundamentals hour after hour.

Marvin needs to find heart sorry but he disappears in games. I realize he is young but with a high draft choice and money comes bigger expectations. The Hawk's I believe have Marvin for one more yr then he is a free agent. If he doesn't improve much I do predict Marvin playing out his contract and signing somewhere else, perhaps Carolina therefore if the right deal came along I would consider trading Marvin with all the unanswered questions better to get something now.

Another offseason of Marvin vs Smoove or Marvin vs Chillz. Its time to go for a championship and trading both Bibby and Marvin can get the type of player(s) needed to do so. Watching the Celtics dismantle us in game 7 and the entire season of inconsistency has me ready to get another star veteran(s) to play with Al and JJ.

Quote:

Thanks for the info guys on what Smoove and Marvin do in the off season. It still makes me wonder why they can't hit open jump shots though. How hard do these guys work working with the former players? Is it just alot of info and a few run throughs or do they literally work their #ss off?

There are many basketball players that play streetball not even pros who can hit open jumpshots and do the little things let alone make millions. Since being a pro basketball player is their livelyhood you would think these guys would be out working on the fundamentals hour after hour.

Marvin needs to find heart sorry but he disappears in games. I realize he is young but with a high draft choice and money comes bigger expectations. The Hawk's I believe have Marvin for one more yr then he is a free agent. If he doesn't improve much I do predict Marvin playing out his contract and signing somewhere else, perhaps Carolina therefore if the right deal came along I would consider trading Marvin with all the unanswered questions better to get something now.

Marvin need confidence, Josh has too much confidence. There's the issue for that one. Marvin is like a kid who has never asked a girl out. While Josh is Johnny Bravo, while many say no, it's like they all said yes to him.

Quote:

Quote:

Marvin need confidence, Josh has too much confidence. There's the issue for that one. Marvin is like a kid who has never asked a girl out. While Josh is Johnny Bravo, while many say no, it's like they all said yes to him. lol