76ers hot for Smoove /Brand

coachx

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/524...efanskis_radar/

I think the Hawks will match but it sucks the 76ers may drive up his market value.

I pray they make an offer to Brand first and that ties up all their money until the Clippers decide to match or renounce their free agent rights to Brand.)

We will probably sign Chillz first b/c his cap hold is higher then Smooves. (B/c he was drafted #6 and Smoove #17).

Chillz' cap hold is far MORE then what his market value is while Smoove's cap hold is far lower then his actual market value.

I think Chillz' cap hold is around $10 mill while Smith's cap hold is around $5 mill. Chillz true value is probably closer to $5- $6 mill and Smith's true value is probably around $9 mill to $11 mill per year.

(Cap hold is the amount that an certian free agent counts against their team's salary cap while a free agent.....it comes off your books if you renounce your free agent rights to that player (waiving your right to match other team's offers) or sign them to an actual contract. Then their real contract goes against the cap.)

The NBA bases cap holds on draft position and not actual production which is wierd but that how the NBA chooses to do it.

This GM stuff is alot more then just recognizing talent.....You have to understand all the cap rules and free agenty rules or your burn the franchise. I want an expierenced GM in here......no rookie GMs !.....I am barely a novice on this stuff. I am sure some one else will shed more light on the subject then I can.

They cant make any offer to Brand because Brand is signed as a Clipper. Unless Brand opts out of his deal he is under contract next year. Most people think he wont opt out. The 76ers can try to trade for Brand but thats it. The Hawks arent just going to let Smoove walk. If Philly does offer the max to Smoove I would try to work out a trade. Maybe something like Dalembert, Lou Williams and pick 16, dont jump on me for this trade Im just throwing ideas out there.. If they dont blow us away with a trade offer than we just match and keep Smoove. I know Dalembert was not happy this year for them and has been upset he is not getting touches in the post. Thats one of the reasons for his crazy mohawk and S.D. in his head. He was acting out like a little kid. lol

Quote:

They cant make any offer to Brand because Brand is signed as a Clipper. Unless Brand opts out of his deal he is under contract next year. Most people think he wont opt out.

That is what people thought until Brand came back and played the last 2 weeks of the season for a team that was playing for absolutely nothing. He wanted to prove to the market place that he was healthy and ready to play like the Elton Brand of old.

I am speculating that he is doing that to prove he is healthy so he can get new contract at 29 rather then the dreaded 30. Plus, Cassell bailed on the Clippers and Maggettee wants out. Mobley is now a washed up 34 year old and Shaun Livingston's carreer in jeapordy. The Clipps have no real future right now except for the now 25 year old Al Thorton who was drafted at 24. They have a complimentary center in Kaman but the second Brand walks out on the floor he cuts Kaman's production in half.

I think he may opt out since this year there really are not many big name free agents. He would be the best FA on the market this year while next year he will be 30 and may be only the 4th or 5th best FA.

I hope the idea of him teaming up with Andre Miller (his old team mate), Iggy, and Dalembert, coupled with playing in the weaker Eastern Conference maybe vary attractive to him. not to mention they have some very promising youngsters in Louis Williams and Thaddeous Young.

If the 76ers do steal Smoove from us Elton Brand would be a heck of consolation prize to go after.

OK. Its just your original post said something about the Clips right to match. Well if Brand opts out he will be unrestricted which means the Clips have no right to match.

Well I have seen many posts saying that we shouldn't give Smoove a Max...ish contract. Well those other GMs understand what Smoove can bring and understand that a decent coach can reign in the jumpers. 7 Blocks in a playoff game against Boston? Hello money.

It's what I would call a "soft cap" in the NBA. Just because you can't afford a guy doesn't mean you can't buy him.

We will match a max (or near max) contract for Smoove - we are stuck with it. It's the way it is and we HAVE to keep Smoove. We can't become the MLB equivalent of the Kansas City Royals.

Quote:

I agree with other posters, if Philly offers max do a sign and trade. Dalembert, Williams, and their draft pick would be fair I believe. Then with Williams and Law we could trade Bibby for whatever the hell we wanted.

I would actually be OK with this. Sign J-Chill. S&T Smoove for Dalembert, Williams, and #16. Then trade Bibby's $14mil expiring contract to a team that wants the cap space to rebuild.

Do I think Philly would do this deal? Probably not. But it does set us up to move Horford to PF, add to the bench with the #16 pick, and maybe pick up a shooter and a big in exchange for Bibby's contract.

Having said that, I'm not advocating this, but IF we were to trade Smoove, I'd be OK with this one.

Quote:

OK. Its just your original post said something about the Clips right to match. Well if Brand opts out he will be unrestricted which means the Clips have no right to match.

Thanks for the correction.....I'm just a novice at this stuff.