• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Salary cap and trade questions (mrH?)

Admin

Can BYC players be packaged with other players in a trade to increase salary?

Can players be sign and traded for each other?

Can you package other players with a guy who you would sign and trade?

The reason that I ask in this case is because if we trade Smoove he won't be able to bring back enough salary on his own since he will be BYC in order to get a player of his caliber so if it's possible we would have to include other players to get our outgoing salary high enough to bring back a star.

In oder to create a new thread just click on the blue "New Post" button on the page where you see all of the threads.

In response to the Avery rumor that is certainly interesting. I haven't heard of him being rumored to be going anywhere but I do remember in an interview on ESPN he said he was going to take the time to be with his family and that something had happened to his son the day that he got fired so maybe he has just been waiting and maybe the ASG reached out to him.

Quote:

...The reason that I ask in this case is because if we trade Smoove he won't be able to bring back enough salary on his own since he will be BYC in order to get a player of his caliber so if it's possible we would have to include other players to get our outgoing salary high enough to bring back a star.

I realize that this is a tad OT Dolfan...but there is no way the ASG loses Smoove. Love him or hate him or something in-between, he is gonna be a Hawk.

I love Smoove and I would love to see him remain a Hawk his entire career but keeping him says that Horford will remain a 5 since Smoove isn't capable of being a 3 at this point and is probably a few years off from being able to do so, if at all.

I would just like to get the facts as to what our trade options are with him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Can BYC players be packaged with other players in a trade to increase salary?

Yes. In fact, that's really the only way a BYC trade is going to work unless you get a third team involved.

Quote:

Can players be sign and traded for each other?

Yes, but it's virtually impossible unless you're moving $20M+ in total salaries in each direction. It would have to be a blockbuster.

Quote:

Can you package other players with a guy who you would sign and trade?

Yes.

Quote:

The reason that I ask in this case is because if we trade Smoove he won't be able to bring back enough salary on his own since he will be BYC in order to get a player of his caliber so if it's possible we would have to include other players to get our outgoing salary high enough to bring back a star.

Trading Smith would require some combination of Claxton, Pachulia, and/or Bibby. It can be done, but would be difficult.

Childress will be easier. His starting salary is not going to be twice what it was this season, meaning his "outgoing" value is actually $3.63M. Making up the difference between $3.6M and the MLE ($5.5M?) is doable.

Smith, on the other hand, will have a starting salary of $10M+, which is WAY more than double his salary for this season. The difference in his case will be of some $5M+.

If you want to get good information on the salary cap, go to http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Here is specific information on BYC:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#73

Continue on to the next couple of sections also, there is information on BYC there.

To quickly answer your players:

1. Yes you can package other players with BYC, problem is that isn't always the best solution because the team trading away the BYC assesses the player in terms of his BYC value (i.e. half of their cap hit) and the other team views the player in their full value. So with that in mind, you have to match both sides up to the 125% rule. Its really complicated, but hopefully that gives you an idea.

2. Are you referring to something like team A has a free agent and team B has a free agent. Team A and B agree to a sign and trade that strictly involves the two free agents simultaneously sign and traded? I don't think that has ever happened. However to answer the question I would initially say no, but I am not 100% certain and would have to do a little reading to find out.

3. Again not 100% certain, but I am pretty sure you cannot. If I get some time I will look over this stuff.

Quote:

this has nothing to do with the thread u started , but i dont know how to start a new one so i just wanted to say that hoopsworld.com has an article on thier which say avery johnson is waiting on the hawks

Wow. Now THAT would be sweet.

Quote:

HF, the Bulls packaged a player in the Eddy Curry S&T a few years back. Antonio Davis, I believe. It can be done.

You are exactly right, but I am still skeptical on a S&T involving a S&T. I cannot remember that ever happening but of course that does not mean it cannot happen.

Edit: After quickly doing a search on the Eddy Curry trade I have been proved wrong, it is possible and it has happened:

Quote:

October 4, 2005 – The Chicago Bulls convey to the New York Knicks the contract of Antonio Davis and the
signed-and-traded contract of Eddy Curry
. In exchange, New York conveys to Chicago the contracts of Tim Thomas and Michael Sweetney, the
signed-and-traded contract of Jermaine Jackson
, and New York’s regular second round draft choice in 2007 and 2009.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/curry_traded_051004.html