• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

You Know, we could be built like.....

Diesel

• Premium Member

The Utah Jazz.

Deron, AK, Boozer, Okur.

Acie, Smoove, Horford, Andersen.

The difference being is that we have a guy in JJ that Utah dreams about.

That and Acie has to come out and prove himself.

If we get a new coach or assistant, we should get somebody who knows how to teach spacing and work with PGs.

For coach I like Fratello, Harris, and Johnson.

For Assistant I like Gentry and Bryan Hill.

I can see how Anderson compares to Okur and Smith compares to Kerilinko but not much else. Utah's offense is ran through Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer. Boozer is a very capable offensive forward who can take his man on the dribble and hit the outside shot. Deron williams can break down any defense and hit the open shot. Boozer could be the best power forward in basketball - next to KG. Al Horford doesn't have a fraction of the fluidity that Boozer has and really looks more like a Robert Parrish type - player. I do see a world of potential in Acie and truthfully feel more comfortable with him at the point than Bibby. But right now - he isn't looking to lead the team. He is looking to take his man of the dribble or simply hand the ball off the Joe. We need to know if Acie can actually lead a team instead of coming in off the bench to be an offensive spark. Also, Kerilinko rarely makes the turnovers that Josh Smith makes.

JJ in a Jazz uniform would make them the best team in the NBA. But that could be said abouth any NBA team still playing.

A team with Acie at the point breaking ankles, Josh and Al cleaning up in the paint, Anderson hitting wide open jumpers - lead by Joe Johnson - I see that more Toronto Raptorish than Utah Jazzish.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I can see how Anderson compares to Okur and Smith compares to Kerilinko but not much else. Utah's offense is ran through Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer. Boozer is a very capable offensive forward who can take his man on the dribble and hit the outside shot. Deron williams can break down any defense and hit the open shot. Boozer could be the best power forward in basketball - next to KG. Al Horford doesn't have a fraction of the fluidity that Boozer has and really looks more like a Robert Parrish type - player. I do see a world of potential in Acie and truthfully feel more comfortable with him at the point than Bibby. But right now - he isn't looking to lead the team. He is looking to take his man of the dribble or simply hand the ball off the Joe. We need to know if Acie can actually lead a team instead of coming in off the bench to be an offensive spark. Also, Kerilinko rarely makes the turnovers that Josh Smith makes.

JJ in a Jazz uniform would make them the best team in the NBA. But that could be said abouth any NBA team still playing.

A team with Acie at the point breaking ankles, Josh and Al cleaning up in the paint, Anderson hitting wide open jumpers - lead by Joe Johnson - I see that more Toronto Raptorish than Utah Jazzish.

I think Horf can become a quality offensive forward too. When you look at Boozer as a pro, he didn't just jump out as an offensive forward. It took him his 2nd year before he was dominate.

And if you think we're Raptorish, let's end the dream now. The Raptors have great shooting and a guy named Bosh playing in the forward position.

Revisit Utah. The only thing that's in limbo with our team is Acie. Acie has to get some minutes. Acie has to limit the turnovers. What I saw from Acie in limited time down the stretch was very encouraging.

The new GM should look at moves that would move Bibby earlier.

I agree. But that will only happen if the team continues to gravitate to Horford as the leader. Utah is tough, smart and disciplined... which defines Horford.

And let's hope that we don't max out Smith like Utah did with AK-47.

Also, as long as Woody is the coach, I wouldn't hold out any hopes for Law to get a fair chance. Even if Woody gets his extension (I gagged while typing that), he will likely treat this season as if his job is tied to the team's success, because of the presence of the new GM. Which likely means that Law will NOT be afforded the chance to make mistakes and learn. Law will need to prove himself during those 5-10 games when Bibby has his annual injury. Otherwise, he'll be one turnover away from being sent back to the bench.

Quote:

The Utah Jazz.

Deron, AK, Boozer, Okur.

If we get a new coach or assistant, we should get somebody who knows how to teach spacing and work with PGs.

The Al Horford/Carlos Boozer comparison isn't a new one. I've heard it a few times, and I've pointed it out once or twice myself.

Look at Boozer's first year in the NBA: 10.0 points, 7.5 boards, 1.3 assists, 1.3 turnovers, 0.7 steals. 0.7 blocks, 53.6 FG%

Al Horford: 10.1 points, 9.7 boards, 1.5 assists, 1.7 turnovers, 0.7 steals, 0.9 blocks, 49.9 FG%

Very similar. They also are pretty similar in build-Boozer is bit heavier, but Al is very strong in his own right, and has an inch on Boozer. And they both are power forwards who play as undersized centers, and do it well.

Moreover, we've seen Al Horford handle the ball in the fast break, even running the break. And the offense, on those few occasions that they run it through Al in the post, clicks really well. Just because we don't ever work on running the pick and roll with Acie/Bibby and Horford doesn't mean it can't be extremely effective. He's a solid passer like Boozer, and he makes good decisions. He's a tough on-ball defender.

But yeah, we need to see if Acie could actually be like Deron Williams. Deron is actually bigger and strong than Acie, who's big and strong in his own right. And Deron is a perimter threat as well, when he needs to be-he shot 39% from three this year. And Andersen could be anything from Okur to Bargnani to Garbajosa or Milicic. We just don't know yet.

But I should also point out that Ronnie Brewer is like a poor man's Josh Childress. Slashers who shoot a lot of layups and play solid defense. Just one more similarity to recognize.

If someone comes in who recognizes this and wishes to carry it further, we need another good sized shooter (Kyle Korver) and a guy willing to bang down low (Paul Millsap). If we can do that, and find the coach who knows what to do with it, we'll be looking really good.

• Premium Member

Well, our secret weapon is Joe Johnson. I think we have many of the same type players, but JJ makes the difference for us... Actually should make us better as Horf comes around.

Is Al Horford a Boozer-like Power forward? I think you can point to his steady jumpshot as similar but Carlos is really a silky finesse player. Al Horford is relentless and powerful and gets the majority of his points through shear will. I see more of Alonzo Morning, Antonio McDyess, and Emeka Okaufor in Al Horford than Carlos Boozer. Like I said - I hope that he develops to an offensive weapon worthy of doubles every night. But I can't say I see it after his first season. I do see a very capable, rebounding, lock down defensive machine with a sweet outside shot. Kind of like Robert Parrish.

Quote:

Quote:

I think Horf can become a quality offensive forward too. When you look at Boozer as a pro, he didn't just jump out as an offensive forward. It took him his 2nd year before he was dominate.

And if you think we're Raptorish, let's end the dream now. The Raptors have great shooting and a guy named Bosh playing in the forward position.

Revisit Utah. The only thing that's in limbo with our team is Acie. Acie has to get some minutes. Acie has to limit the turnovers. What I saw from Acie in limited time down the stretch was very encouraging.

The new GM should look at moves that would move Bibby earlier. huh?Acie doesn't turn the ball over much.That's the main thing he had going during the season as it went on.

Quote:

The Utah Jazz.

Deron, AK, Boozer, Okur.

When you break it down like this it really does seem simple.

All the Hawks need is for Acie Law to become one of the top 3 or 4 point guards in the league and for Al Horford to become one of the top 5 power forwards in the league.

I'm not even sure who Utah's GM is, but I love Jerry Sloan's approach and philosophy. If Atlanta has to go the assistant route if they choose to replace Mike Woodson, I wouldn't mind seeing Tyrone Corbin get a shot at this job.

Quote:

The Utah Jazz.

Deron, AK, Boozer, Okur.

I am with you D. For me, Horford is going to be a better pro than Boozer, IMO. Lets hold off on Andersen and see what he can do. I am excited about what he could do for the team, but its too early to tell what he can accomplish in the NBA.

As for Acie, I thought he would be an very good player out of college, and nothing I have seen makes me think that he can't still be. As Sekou pointed out, Acie was handled horribly by Woodson. A coach that could come and build a Utah-like offense AND defense would really suit the Hawks roster. Utah will run when they need to, but they can also execute in the half-court. This half-court success comes from Sloan knowing how to teach the offense.

As for comparing Acie with Deron, remember it took Deron a season and a half to really get comfortable running the Utah system. Sloan stuck with him though and that has paid off. Acie needs to have that sort of trust from the coaches as well.