• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Much ado about nothing??

Wurider05

Just some random stuff floating in my head:

1. What's wrong if with keeping our current starting lineup to go to battle with next year?

2. Am I the only one to feels the OJ mayo is going to be a bust?

3. Was Bibby ever truly healthy as a Hawk? More damaged goods?

4. Will Speedy ever get healthy?

• Moderators

Quote:

1. What's wrong if with keeping our current starting lineup to go to battle with next year?

I expect that willbe the case. The shuffling will be to our reserves and front office.

Quote:

I don't like his chances of being a star. Bust may be too far but he looks like he is going to put himself first and have some ego issues that aren't justified by his relatively lackluster play on the court.

Quote:

I don't think he has been healthy so far but expect healthier days ahead. He is someone who will never be 100% healthy for a season but he will still be effective most of the time.

Quote:

No.

Quote:

I don't like his chances of being a star. Bust may be too far but he looks like he is going to put himself first and have some ego issues that aren't justified by his relatively lackluster play on the court.

The same was said of Rudy Gay and he is on the cusp of being a star. Hopefully the same will happen for Mayo, but I damn sure wouldn't risk taking him over Rose or Beasley.

Quote:

4. Who cares?

We certainly cannot count on him but a healthy Speedy makes us a MUCH better team and we might even be able to get something for him at the trade deadline if he is healthy. At this point since he didn't retire we really need to hope that he will be healthy, otherwise he just keeps eating at our cap without helping one bit.

Quote:

Quote:

4. Who cares?

We certainly cannot count on him but a healthy Speedy makes us a MUCH better team and we might even be able to get something for him at the trade deadline if he is healthy. At this point since he didn't retire we really need to hope that he will be healthy, otherwise he just keeps eating at our cap without helping one bit.

I agree. I don't think we appreciate what a healthy Speedy would bring to this team, even with Bibby on board. But I'm personally not convinced that ownership wants Speedy to retire, that insurance money means that he only costs around $1M. Could they find a healthy player to replace Speedy for $1M? Jeremy Richardson?

Quote:

1. Starting line-up is fine, actually. Marvin is the weak link right now, but if he improves marginally, we could get by. It would be nice to have another option at center so we could use Horford in different ways. The depth behind the starters is the big issue, especially with both Joshes need new contracts, and Bibby in the last year of a huge contract.

2. I'm trying to come up with a player who I think compares with OJ Mayo, but I really can't. I think the hype is certainly much bigger than the skills. He's talented and athletic, but I don't think he'll ever be great.

3. I think Bibby was healthy for a few games. He certainly shot well from when we got him until the month of April. I think sometime in April or late March he must have reinjured the hand. He'll probably do a little better next year. Still won't play defense, though.

4. Eh. I suppose he might come back next year. I don't know. He's a back-up defensive point who is pesky defensively but not really solid. He takes too many shots and shoots for a low percentage. If you limited his game offensively and made him use his speed on both ends of the court, he could be a decent sub, but he's not an important enough piece for me to wonder whether he'll be playing for us.

Quote:

Quote:

4. Who cares?

Speedy at best has been an effective back-up player. To think he will make a significant impact after a year and a half lay-off is asking alot. Plus, even if he starts the season healthy the chances of him playing an entire season are almost 0% since he has never done it before.

Hawks will be better off in the long run giving those minutes to Law to see if he is the long term solution or not.

I doubt Speedy comes back healthy enough to contribute in a meaningful way and I am certain no one would give up much to get him since he is the ultimate in damaged goods.

Hawks WILL be different. Just how much, we don't yet know/

Rumor has it we will bring over David Anderson. We don't know if this is true or not,

but have good reason to believe it is, from what we've read.

Hawks are currently without a GM. Big changes MIGHT be made - - Maybe not.

Could be just some changes on the bench players.

With no changes, we enter the season with an older, more mature, playoff

experienced team. Remember, with all those draft picks added to the NBA

teams and some few undrafted players, a like number of players must leave.

They either retire or lose out on their NBA career. There are just a limited

number of positions available //// New players come in, old players retire.

Hawks, while having no draft picks, have no old guys looking to retire either.

I certainly wouldn't want him taking minutes from Acie, but what Speedy being healthy does is it allows us to play Acie/Speedy as PGs and let's Bibby play some SG minutes so that JJ can get more rest. You are right even if he is healthy he probably won't remain so, but maybe all of this time off has healed the rest of his body and sure he will be rusty, but if you remember back to how important of a role he played on the Hornets the year before we signed him it's easy to see how that player could really help us a lot.

I'm still not going to hold my breath about him ever playing for us again though.

Quote:

1. Nothing if Woody goes

2. Nope. You and 12 others.

3. Absolutly not. Watch is jump shot in previous years vs this year. There is clearly a hitch in his shot.

4. Absolutly not. There is clearly a permanent hitch in his giddy-up.

Quote:

I certainly wouldn't want him taking minutes from Acie, but what Speedy being healthy does is it allows us to play Acie/Speedy as PGs and let's Bibby play some SG minutes so that JJ can get more rest. You are right even if he is healthy he probably won't remain so, but maybe all of this time off has healed the rest of his body and sure he will be rusty, but if you remember back to how important of a role he played on the Hornets the year before we signed him it's easy to see how that player could really help us a lot.

I'm still not going to hold my breath about him ever playing for us again though.

He did have a great year - for him - with the Hornets. But seeing the success Pargo has had this year with NO I am beginning to wonder if it was just due to the Chris Paul halo effect.

NO is a nice contrast to the Hawks in terms of team building strategies. NO focused on point guard, post scorer and defensive oriented big man. They then filled out their roster with whatever wings they could get their hands on, but Peja and MoPete are replaceable whereas the others are not.

Hawks on the other hand focused on wings early and are now getting around to post scorer, defensive big man and point guard.

1. Nothing wrong but it will be alot better if we got a quality big man to play alongside Horford, then move JSmooth to the SF, and make Marvin our 6th man. So basically: Horford, Swift/David Anderson, Josh Smith, Joe Johnson, Bibby

2. OJ Mayo will not be a bust at all. I think he will be a better NBA player than D. Rose of Memphis simply because he can shoot the ball well from the outside and can create his own shot better than Rose can..he is more of a threat than Rose is offensively and isnt too bad on the defensive end either. I see him being a good scorer kind of like a gilbert Arenas type player. I would choose Mayo over Rose anyday. Dont get me wrong though, I think Rose will be a fine player as well. But if you have the number one pick then Beasley is your guy still

3. He was never truely healthy in a Hawks uniform. He just didnt seem like his old self..not like we will never see that again but he didnt seem 100% healthy ever...more like 90%, if that. He's still a keeper..not too many good PGs in the league and he helped get into the playoffs for the first time in a long time!!!

4. Speedy will get healthy because he's young and has had alot of rest but he isnt needed here..he can find a sopt on another team. I like Bibby and Acie Law at PG and I would play Stoudamire over Speedy too

• Premium Member

Quote:

The main problem here is that we are still an unconvential team with offensive and defensive liabilities. As Horf grows into his potential, it will be harder to justify not playing him at his natural position. As Smoove and Horf bypass Marvin in impact on the court, it will be hard to justify not trading Marvin. There are several questions about Bibby, however, Bibby represents about 14 million dollars in cap space first and a Starting PG second. To a championship team trying to make a run (like the Celtics with Cassell), Bibby could mean a lot to us in player value. For instance, Marvin and Bibby could get us Iverson (who is also on the last year of his deal).

Quote:

I don't know if you're the only one, but you're in the minority. He's a 6-5 PG that can score. He will be streaky. He will provide good defense. However, he should be pretty good. NOT ROY, but good. Being on a sorry team will put him somewhere in the mid lottery so he might go to a good team. Scary would be him in Indy.

Quote:

I have doubts. Bibby is a small guard. If he were more durable, he could drive and kick better.

Quote:

Amazing would be a full recovery by Speedy, him coming back and sharing the PG spot with Bibby and being our defensive PG until we can move Bibby midseason and let Law have this team. However, that's a pipe dream. Speedy is injured and it may be no coming back. Best we can look for is medical retirement.

• Premium Member

Tell me you're joking about Rose??

Derrick Rose isn't a scoring PG. He's a defensive playmaking PG. He's another one of these guys who makes the guys around him better. Mayo will be a OG. He will be the best case scenario for JT... only 4 inches taller.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

The same was said of Rudy Gay and he is on the cusp of being a star. Hopefully the same will happen for Mayo, but I damn sure wouldn't risk taking him over Rose or Beasley.

Very true. I just wasn't that impressed with Mayo at USC. He might seriously elevate his game like Gay did in the NBA but I won't hold my breath on that.

I'll respond to point 1.

I think we shouldn't do anything major yet. Resign Smoove and Chillz, sign DA, fill out the roster, call it a day.

I think this because I see two possible ways this roster can go. A - you play Smoove at the 3, Horf at 4, and you find a center who is a shooter and can create offensive space. We may as well look at DA first if we want to try that.....who else fits that bill....Bargnani, Okur, Rashweed....would be tough to get any of those guys.

B- you continue to play Horford at 5, Smoove at 4. Since you're small, you need a good rebounding 3 man and you still need him to be a shooter. Looking down the list of 3 men who rebound (RB per 48), you don't get very far down the list before you find ol Marvin. He's also a shooter, although we would be much better if he had 3-pt range. You could move for Carmelo here because he seems to fit the bill pretty well, but also has risks. Maybe its better to stand pat with Marvin, since his game has improved every year. Hell, he's already giving 15/6 in 34 minutes and he hasn't even turned 22 yet. He made a significant jump in FG% in the last year. Now he needs to continue working on his body and his balance and learn to avoid contact better when he drives. He always seems to jump into the defender and fall down.

Quote:

1. Nothing wrong but it will be alot better if we got a quality big man to play alongside Horford, then move JSmooth to the SF, and make Marvin our 6th man. So basically: Horford, Swift/David Anderson, Josh Smith, Joe Johnson, Bibby

A quality big man? Great idea but how/where do you get a starter quality big? At best we can hope to get a role player that who will defend and help on the boards

I don't see Marvin becoming a 6th man under any circumstances - just won't happen.