• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I don't know about you guys, but I can't recall

jhay610

a year in the playoffs where homecourt has held up so consistently. Call it faulty officiating or a conspiracy by the league or what have you, but the bottom line is....

37-45 will not cut it next year. If this is a new trend in the league, we need to make major strides in the regular season. Regardless of our personnel decisions this offseason, that means bringing consistent effort night in and night out. The Hawks just didn't bring the energy every night this year. I understand that Game 6 at home against the Celtics has a different feel than a mid-January date against the Bobcats, but we can't afford to take nights off.

Can Woodson be the guy to inspire the same effort and intensity over the full 82 game schedule next year? Is that standard even realistic without adding some veteran leadership?

No doubt this season was a step in the right direction, but a sub-500 record next year and another 8 seed won't cut it if we really want to be players in this thing.

• Premium Member

Quote:

a year in the playoffs where homecourt has held up so consistently. Call it faulty officiating or a conspiracy by the league or what have you, but the bottom line is....

37-45 will not cut it next year. If this is a new trend in the league, we need to make major strides in the regular season. Regardless of our personnel decisions this offseason, that means bringing consistent effort night in and night out. The Hawks just didn't bring the energy every night this year. I understand that Game 6 at home against the Celtics has a different feel than a mid-January date against the Bobcats, but we can't afford to take nights off.

Can Woodson be the guy to inspire the same effort and intensity over the full 82 game schedule next year? Is that standard even realistic without adding some veteran leadership?

No doubt this season was a step in the right direction, but a sub-500 record next year and another 8 seed won't cut it if we really want to be players in this thing.

I'm fearful about next year. For many teams, this was a reload year.

Look around:

Miami will reload in the lottery.

Charlotte had the talent, now they got a coach.

Orlando will be better just because of the development of Howard.

NY will get a lottery shot and they have a good front office.

NJ will get a lottery shot.

Chicago will get a lottery shot and a new coach.

So the bottom line is that Atlanta will have to up the ante if we want to stay competitive.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm fearful about next year. For many teams, this was a reload year.

Look around:

Miami will reload in the lottery.

Charlotte had the talent, now they got a coach.

Orlando will be better just because of the development of Howard.

NY will get a lottery shot and they have a good front office.

NJ will get a lottery shot.

Chicago will get a lottery shot and a new coach.

So the bottom line is that Atlanta will have to up the ante if we want to stay competitive.

I;m worried about Charlotte.They could end up getting Rose or Beasley in the Draft. scared.gif

I hope that the front office gets a move on... I understand that this is a tricky business, picking a GM, but if we are going to get a new coach, which I believe most fans want, we need to speed this process up... If not, there will be nobody left! And we will be stuck watching the same no gameplan offense and the same Woody zone next year...

• Premium Member

Quote:

I;m worried about Charlotte.They could end up getting Rose or Beasley in the Draft.
scared.gif

Didn't you get the memo? The Memp said that NY would get Rose and Memphis will get Beasley and they will complete a draft day swap where Memphis takes Rose/Randolph and NY gets Beasley/MCJ/Miller. Larry Brown is going to trade Charlotte's first rounder for a vet.

We have to hope that we won't see the team come out with half-hearted efforts to start a game or half as much next season, because they now know the importance of every game. We have to hope that practices are conducted at a higher intensity level because they recognize the importance of execution. We have to hope that guys take better care of themselves in terms of preparation, rest and diet because they now know the importance of being physically and mentally ready to play every game.

This is no longer a "young and ignorant" team. They enjoyed enough success during the playoffs that they should have confidence in each other (and even the coaching staff). So they should be ready to take it to another level next season, even if the only roster addition is David Andersen and 1-2 more bench players. I'm looking for significant incremental improvement next season in the team's professionalism and execution. They may be out-talented but this team should have few nights when they're out-worked, now that they have tasted the playoffs.

• Premium Member

Quote:

We have to hope that we won't see the team come out with half-hearted efforts to start a game or half as much next season, because they now know the importance of every game. We have to hope that practices are conducted at a higher intensity level because they recognize the importance of execution. We have to hope that guys take better care of themselves in terms of preparation, rest and diet because they now know the importance of being physically and mentally ready to play every game.

This is no longer a "young and ignorant" team. They enjoyed enough success during the playoffs that they should have confidence in each other (and even the coaching staff). So they should be ready to take it to another level next season, even if the only roster addition is David Andersen and 1-2 more bench players. I'm looking for significant incremental improvement next season in the team's professionalism and execution. They may be out-talented but this team should have few nights when they're out-worked, now that they have tasted the playoffs.

Excellent post. No more of those "off" nights where we come out stale against a bad team and get blown out. If that happens this season, then Woody has to go. I hate to blame the coach, but if this team isn't motivated to compete after our playoff run, then something is wrong. I fully expect us to be a much improved team whether or not we get any high dollar free agents or do any sign and trades. We gave away too many games last season.

IMO, Atlanta is a good position for next year. Do we have holes on the team, sure. Do other teams have holes, sure. The question is who has fewer holes and how big are those holes?

In terms of adding a rookie to the teams below the Hawks that could make a difference, I don't know. It depends on the team and whom they pick up. A team like the Pacers could really use a scorer or a post presence. If they get a top 3 pick, Atlanta will be in trouble. A team like Miami picking up a rookie, IMO, doesn't improve them that much this year. They just have too many holes across the board.

Here is they way I see it today:

Atlanta- we have to fill holes on the bench, but the starting 5 can play with anyone in the NBA, esp in the East. Andersen has the potential to fill a gapping wound at reserve center, which will go a long way to fixing many of team's problems. We still need a scorer off the bench as well. Andersen is like adding a mid-1st round pick.

NYK- my gosh what a mess. That roster needs to be blown appart and start from scratch. BK may resurface in NY just to help with the tear down of that team. Next year they aren't going to be a significant factor.

Miami- The Heat look like the Hawks from 2 years ago. A great SG and some nice forwards. No point, no center, no bench. It will take them two years to rebuild, at least. No worries from them

NJ- They have some very good pieces on that team. Health will go a long way in determining how many games they win. IMO, they are a significant threat to take a lower playoff seed next season. A savy trade of VC or Jefferson that lands them a post player and they are a top 6-4 seed team

Bobkitties- LB will take the season to figure out what they are. Look for major trades come Feb. I wouldn't be surprised to see them miss the playoffs, but they could sneak in at the 8 or 7 seed.

Pacers- not sure with them. They have nice pieces, but they don't seem to have that right fit for all of those pieces. They could either seriously regress or make a significant move forward. I think they need to move a piece to get that team in order.

Playoff teams that could regress:

Boston- they'll make the playoffs next year, but Ray Allen is showing his age. Pierce is a punk and is not the offensive force that people make him out to be. Garnett is a mentally fragile player that, once bounced from the playoffs by either Cleveland or Detroit, will be even more desperate and fragile next season. They will still win ~50 games, but they are very vulnerable

Detroit- how much more does that team have left in the tank? They could make a run this year, but they are getting old and slow.

Playoff teams that will be better:

Magic- you have to think that this team is heading in the right direction. Howard's maturity in the paint makes them extremely difficult to deal with over a 7 game series.

Cleveland- They seem to be 1 piece away from being a terror. Add in a true second scorer with LeBron and they would be unstoppable. They needed Mike Bibby but got Wally World.

Just my 2 cents.

Good post Frog.

And the thing that people need to really understand about going into next year, is that if we bring this current group back, it will be the 4th full year that JJ, Smoove, Marvin and Chill have played with each other. And each one of those guys are steadily improving as players. Not a single one of those players are on the decline, or has leveled off as a player.

And when you add a vet like Bibby and a beast like Horford to that mix, that's going to be a formidible group to deal with next year. And with Lue and AJ out the way, that clears more time for Acie to develop ( if Speedy doesn't take minutes away from him IF he is healthy ).

Instead of worrying about the teams behind us, people should be looking at who we have a legit chance to leapfrog. Philly, Toronto, and Washington are definitely squads that we can overtake.

The Hawks played about like what most of the fan base expected, and played MUCH better than anyone expected during the playoffs.

I think this is why it was very important for this team to get into the playoffs this year. They have tasted playoff competition, and they have seen first hand what it takes to win in the playoffs. Now, they need to learn from that and start doing those things consistently, like giving a great effort on defense night in and night out.

Quote:

I think this is why it was very important for this team to get into the playoffs this year. They have tasted playoff competition, and they have seen first hand what it takes to win in the playoffs. Now, they need to learn from that and start doing those things consistently, like giving a great effort on defense night in and night out.

Quote:

No doubt. And it's the ONLY reason to bring back Woody, so that the team can "pick up where they left off" without the need to learn a new coach/culture/philosophy. Personally, I think it is a short-sighted approach which will ultimately lead to the team hitting a ceiling right around 40-42 wins, but one that I could see owners looking for a quick buck employing.