• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sekou: hotest FA

DrReality

Will the Hawks keep the Joshes at home?

Organization can match any free-agent offer to Smith, Childress

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/16/08

Home court advantage has rescued several teams during these NBA playoffs, most notably the regular season top dog Boston Celtics.

Home cooking will be on the minds of just as many teams come July 1, when the NBA's annual summer free agent frenzy kicks off.

Teams like the Hawks, who have restricted free agents Josh Smith and Josh Childress, will have the right to match any offers made to their players.

Whether it will be as easy as simply matching remains to be seen, what with teams having all sorts of creative ways to navigate the league's salary cap and luxury tax thresholds.

Phoenix had the same right with Joe Johnson three summers ago but parted ways with him because of a front-loaded contract the Hawks put on the table that forced the Suns into a sign-and-trade deal. Johnson went on to become the Hawks' captain and a two-time All-Star.

This summer's crop of quality restricted free agents will be unusually large because only six first-round picks from the 2004 draft were signed to extensions last fall. Atlanta native and Orlando Magic All-Star center Dwight Howard is the only player from the class to receive a maximum (five years and $85 million) extension.

The five hottest names on the (restricted) free agent market this summer (in alphabetical order):

Jose Calderon

Toronto point guard

Stats: 11.2 points, 8.3 assists and 3.6 rebounds

Few players did more to aid their cause this season than Calderon, who flourished for the second consecutive season with T.J. Ford missing significant time because of injury. Calderon proved this season that he could run the team as a starter (56 of the Raptors' 82 games).

Josh Childress

Hawks swingman

Stats: 11.8 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.5 assists

Childress finished sixth in the voting for the league's Sixth Man award. His value is much higher to NBA executives than it is to fantasy leaguers. The NBA's elite teams make a living plucking players like Childress (character guys that can play in any system and that can be effective without being featured in the offense) away from teams like the Hawks with surprisingly lucrative offers.

Luol Deng

Chicago small forward

Stats: 17.0 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.5 assists

Injuries caused Deng's uneven season and production, which dipped from his stellar numbers from a season ago. And when the Bulls were in the playoffs, Deng was their leader and best player - sorry Ben Gordon but there is more to the game than just scoring.

Monta Ellis

Golden State shooting guard

Stats: 20.2 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.9 assists

Ellis is poised to recoup all the money that slipped through his fingers on draft night three years ago, when questions about his knee meant he wasn't selected until the second round. The one benefit of falling is that Ellis is a free agent after his third season and not his fourth. And with Baron Davis and the Warriors unsure if they want to continue their partnership, Ellis is poised to take over.

Josh Smith

Hawks power forward

Stats: 17.2 points, 8.2 rebounds and 2.8 blocks

Non-offensive game-changers remain the toughest players to evaluate and, subsequently to acquire. The Hawks lucked into Smith outside of the lottery (17th pick) four years ago and can't afford to lose him now. That's why they'll have to ante up far more than the $45 million they offered (and was turned down) before the season. Smith's eye-opening efforts in the Hawks' playoff run proved that he could carry his game-changing ways into the postseason as well, which was the one legitimate question about his game before the season.

Five more that will keep things interesting for their teams: Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia; Andris Biedrins, Golden State; Emeka Okafor, Charlotte; Louis Williams, Philadelphia; JR Smith, Denver.

Hey Exodus why does Sekou have Smoove and Chills listed as top 5 over Iggy? Watch how many more teams make a run at an efficent player like Chills who can put up #'s without being close to the feature guy. There is no doubt in my mind if Chills played with Miller and was featured like Iggy is he would not only put up the points but would still shoot close to 50% like he does now. Not to mention how hard it is to find a guy who can do what he does off the bench.

Childress is a very nice player, but he could never cary a team's offensive load. Notice what Sekou says, Childress does all the things that don't show up in a box score. The Hawks should definately try to keep Chil, but if he gets a huge offer then you have to do an SNT to keep the cap in order. Childress is a role player, not a feature player.

As for why Sekou mentions Childress so promenantly, maybe its because he writes for the AJC and not the Philly Inquirer! Sheesh.

Chills got us 12ppg off the bench with 10 less minutes a game as opposed to Iggy. The real key is Chills shot 57%. There is no doubt in my mind that Chills could easily put up the stats Iggy puts up in Philly with a much better shooting %. Especially with the way Philly was running the ball after Stefanski took over as gm.

Quote:

Chills got us 12ppg off the bench with 10 less minutes a game as opposed to Iggy. The real key is Chills shot 57%. There is no doubt in my mind that Chills could easily put up the stats Iggy puts up in Philly with a much better shooting %. Especially with the way Philly was running the ball after Stefanski took over as gm.

Igoudala is a superior player to Childress. That is obvious, so I am not sure why you are trying to argue the point.

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Exodus why does Sekou have Smoove and Chills listed as top 5 over Iggy?

Because they are Hawks and Sekou is the Hawks beat writer. Duh

Chillz isn't better than Iggy. That still doesn't negate the fact that teams around the league think highly of him. You speak of him as if he is a NBDL player.

J.R. Smith would be a nice addition. He could even start over Marvin because he is strong and explosive enough to play the SF position and unlike Marvin, he can shoot 3's!!!!...I would try add Swift and J.R. Smith in the off season-2 guys that can run and score.

Bibby/Acie Law/Claxton

Joe Johnson/Childress

J.R.Smith/Marvin Williams

Josh Smith/Stromile Swift

Horford/David Anderson/Zaza

thats a very good team-on paper at least lol should be top 3 in the East

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chillz isn't better than Iggy. That still doesn't negate the fact that teams around the league think highly of him. You speak of him as if he is a NBDL player.

I speak of him as a guy who doesn't fit on this team. His weaknesses are the teams weaknesses.

Put him on a team that has a lot of shooters and/or a big defensive presense in the middle (like the Spurs) then he would be more effective.

If Dallas wants Josh Smith and they give him a max offer, will the Hawks match? Cuban loves throwing money around and the ASG is so cheap.

The Hawks may be come the the NBA what the Montreal Expos were to MLB.

Not sure the ASG would match a max offer.

Hawk88

Quote:

If Dallas wants Josh Smith and they give him a max offer, will the Hawks match? Cuban loves throwing money around and the ASG is so cheap.

The Hawks may be come the the NBA what the Montreal Expos were to MLB.

Not sure the ASG would match a max offer.

Hawk88

Dallas is over the cap by a mile. They can't make an offer above the MLE.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I speak of him as a guy who doesn't fit on this team. His weaknesses are the teams weaknesses.

Put him on a team that has a lot of shooters and/or a big defensive presense in the middle (like the Spurs) then he would be more effective.

If the team needs more rebounding and better outside shooting then that speaks to Marvin more than chillz in my opinion. But they both share the blame along with everyone. More Marvin than chilz because Marvin has the size, length and he starts over chillz. Marvin not being able to shoot the three is unacceptable. Whether you admit it or not him being unable to adds to the Hawks not having that outside shooting you speak of. I don't think either of them are starters right now. If it came down to who I want coming off the bench then chillz gets the nod because he has proven he can do it at this level(not college). Another starter at SF or C is needed.

Quote:

If the team needs more rebounding and better outside shooting then that speaks to Marvin more than chillz in my opinion.

Your opinion is wrong. Marvin scores 6.5 ppg on jumpers, Childress 1.5. Marvin gets 4.2 defensive rebounds per game, Childress 2.6.

The numbers are very clear.

Quote:

Quote:

If the team needs more rebounding and better outside shooting then that speaks to Marvin more than chillz in my opinion.

Your opinion is wrong. Marvin scores 6.5 ppg on jumpers, Childress 1.5. Marvin gets 4.2 defensive rebounds per game, Childress 2.6.

The numbers are very clear.

If he was so good at shooting the outside shot(as you always bring up) then why do we need it? If he can rebound so good then why are you bringing it up? If Marvin is good at these things then why do we need to get better at them? Because he can only shoot mid range jumpers and his rebounding isn't as good as you think it is. If you look at the games then you can clearly see he is not a difference maker. He is a player who plays off others. Waiting on JJ to drive and kick or get doubled so he can shoot his mid range jumper. You need more than that from your starting SF.

Stats don't always tell the whole story but they are always used when it comes to Marvin. Tell me the game he affected so much? Which game did he do something other that shoot mid range jumpers to help the team win? How is he a dynamic player? Is he a clutch player at the end of games?

I support the guy because he is on the team but he is not a good enough all around player to start.

Quote:

If he was so good at shooting the outside shot(as you always bring up) then why do we need it?

I didn't say Marvin was so good from the perimeter. I just said he is way better than Childress who is the worst in the league (for wings) at scoring from the perimeter.

Quote:

If he can rebound so good then why are you bringing it up?

I didn't say he was a great defensive rebounder. I just said he is way better than Childress.

Quote:

He is a player who plays off others.

Childress plays off others more than anyone because he can't create his own shot at all.

Quote:

Tell me the game he affected so much? Which game did he do something other that shoot mid range jumpers to help the team win?

You mean like the back to back Philly games where he scored 37 pts shooting 60% against their tough D? You mean like posting guys up and shooting his hook over them routinely?

Quote:

Is he a clutch player at the end of games?

He has definitely been clutch at the foul line which is more that choker Childress can say.