Marvin Williams Bust or Not

gt4403

Some people either don't follow basketball or are obsessed with hyperboles.

A "bust" is someone like the Kandi man or Darko.

Marvin Williams may have underachieved in your eyes. He may have dissapointed, but by no means is he a bust. He's a solid rotation player right now.

The fact that he's 21 and just completed his 2nd year as a starter makes a "bust" label even more absurd

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Quote:

Marvin Williams may have underachieved in your eyes. He may have dissapointed, but by no means is he a bust. He's a solid rotation player right now.

The fact that he's 21 and just completed his 2nd year as a starter makes a "bust" label even more absurd

To me, Marvin Williams is much like Joe Smith to this point in his career. If you think of Joe Smith as having been a bust a #1 overall, you probably think of Marvin as a bust. If you think of Joe as a useful player who had a long career, you probably don't think of Marvin as a bust.

As draft picks, both guys make their team's fans bang their heads against the wall so I call the picks busts but both will have long NBA careers so clearly they are real players and if picked somewhere else the question of bust wouldn't arise at all.

Quote:

yup what he said

Quote:

To me, Marvin Williams is much like Joe Smith to this point in his career. If you think of Joe Smith as having been a bust a #1 overall, you probably think of Marvin as a bust. If you think of Joe as a useful player who had a long career, you probably don't think of Marvin as a bust.

As draft picks, both guys make their team's fans bang their heads against the wall so I call the picks busts but both will have long NBA careers so clearly they are real players and if picked somewhere else the question of bust wouldn't arise at all.

If Marvin Williams doesn't have a better career than Joe Smith than yeah he'd be a bust.

Joe Smith is a guy who got hurt and he wasn't the same player after he left Golden State which led to the guy only averaging 12/7 for his career despite the promising start of his career where he averaged 18.7/8.5 when he was 21.

Because of his injury I don't call him a bust though.

But Marvin should def be more efficient than the career numbers of Smith if he stays healthy or he seriously underachieved.

Marvin has slowly but surely increased his production over the first 3 years of his career. His 3rd year as a starter next year will show whether or not that progression continues.

This is ridiculous. Can't we just keep all of the Marvin threads in one big topic? I'm tired of seeing so many of these Marvin threads. They all say the same things too.

NO, Marvin Williams is not a bust. Just because he doesn't live up to the standards of that of Chris Paul, that doesn't make him a bust. He has improved in all of his years, and there's no doubt that he has some potential to be an all star player. Is he one now? Obviously not, but he has shown that he can make strides of improvement and has shown flashes of that star power in a few games. He still needs time, but more likely than not he will develop to be an above average small forward with a solid skillset.

In my opinion, Marvin would be a lot better coming off the bench most of the times, but we all know that we have to justify that second overall draft choice by starting him every game.