• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

CHRIS SMAUL

NJHAWK

Quote:

Yeah, he had solid numbers overall, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why Pargo was taking so many shots. Scott laid an egg in the 4th as well.

Reggie Miller and/ or Kenny Smith were pointing out how better players would make Scott a better coach......The Hornets only have like 2 plays they can run other then lobs to Chandler.

Scott is basically in a postion similar to Woody. (Granted Chris Paul can create offense out of nothing most of the time.) However, when Paul got scared and Duncan was locking down West then Hornets have no other options in the half court.

1. Chandler needs an open alley-oop to score

2. Peja can't get off his own shot nor can he beat Bowen around screens due to his lack of foot speed at this stage in his career.

3. Pargo was the only one who could take some one off the dribble after Paul had the deer in a head lights look and West just was not 100%.

Pargo made some "bad shots" that kept the Hornets in it more then they should have been.

Quote:

How did the Spurs win that game? Oh yeah, they made shots. And this isn't a problem anyway because we still have Smith and Horford who score inside, Acie is our future and he is definitely a slasher, and JJ can also post up and/or get inside. That's 4 out of 5. We NEED a shooting SF if those players are in our future starting lineup.

They made shots and played tremendous defense. Inside scoring isn't a problem for this team? We don't have a single guy on this team that we can throw the ball to in the post, and expect him to convert. Smith takes people off the dribble, while Horford has a nice mid-range game from 12 - 18 feet. Our 2-guard is our best post player.

Chill gets to the FT line 20% of the time, while Marvin gets there 15% of the time. And Marvin consistently knocks down open jumpers. They aren't 3s, but they're far enough out to keep opposng defenses honest.

We win games when we rebound and defend well, not necessarily when we shoot well, even from long range. Take Marvin or Chill from this team, and replace one of them with a Kyle Korver or Anthony Parker like shooter that does only that . . shoot . . and you create additional problems while trying to solve one.

Quote:

If we keep Childress and Marvin, when will these shooters get PT? Chill is the 6th man and Marvin is the starter, so we would predominantly have non shooters in the lineup, that doesn't work.

One-dmensional shooters usually don't log major minutes. Adding a shooter(s) to this team, and finding them minutes, won't be a problem at all . . if they make shots. No way I'd trade 30 minutes of Marvin or Chill, for 30 minutes of a Finley, Korver, Kapono, Parker, Posey, Morrison, Carroll, Szczerbiak, Nocioni, Q Richardson, Stackhouse, Peterson, Radmanovic, JR Smith, or Outlaw. Guys like that, you add to the current mix of talent here, and try to find 10 - 20 minutes a game for them.

Your quality SGs/SFs who can do a multitude of things, like a Mike Miller, who can shoot, rebound, create for others, and even create his own jumpshot or get to the hole, are the type of guys you replace a Marvin or Chill with. But even with a move for Miller, you're solving a problem on offense, but weakening the defense.

The final 4 teams left in the playoffs are all good defensive teams, not necessarily good shooting teams from behind the arc, though they have a few shooters on each squad.

Quote:

Marvin isn't a slasher AT ALL. He's actually one of the worst slashers and finishers in the entire NBA. But like I said it wouldn't matter anyway because we still have 4 starters in our future that can score well inside.

Believe it or not, Marvin made 58% of his inside shots this year, 3% less than Smoove's 61%. That's pretty typical for a SF and much better than how he finished on the inside last year.

Quote:

lol this is funny.It's very clear that you guys want him to fail, because your mad that he is so better then our guy.
munching_out.gif

Look man even a guy like me who wanted us to draft Marvin would trade Marv for Paul in a milisecond. I'll tell you one thing though I wouldnt trade JJ for Paul. JJ may have failed down the stetch but he WOULD HAVE WANTED THE BALL DOWN THE STETCH OF THAT GAME. Paul didnt fail last night in the 4th quarter HE BAILED. He may as well of went to Byron Scott and said " take me out this is to big for me". While I dont agree with Pargo's shot selection down the stetch it was clear he was the only guy with heart. Paul could easily have demanded the ball especiall during timeouts. He looked like he was running from the ball.

Quote:

Seriously, great pick by Billy Knight. I would hate to get 18 points and 14 assists from my PG in a bad game.

I never said he had a bad game. He did however RUN FROM THE BALL LIKE A GIRL WHEN HIS TEAM NEEDED HIM THE MOST DOWN THE STRETCH. He was as useless to them in the 4th quarter as Speedy was to us all year. He sat back and let some guy named Pargo decide his teams fate.

Quote:

Where the F did he go in the 4th quarter. He evaporated and was content to let Pargo run the entire show in the biggest game in their franchises history. He stuck out like a sore thumb on defense as well. He played the stretch of that game like he was allergic to the basketball.

This is the Chris Paul I remember from big games at Wake Forest. He kinda froze up in the clutch. He's not a Hall of Famer yet.

Quote:

We have slashers?

Only in pregame warm-ups!

• Premium Member

Quote:

He did however RUN FROM THE BALL LIKE A GIRL WHEN HIS TEAM NEEDED HIM THE MOST DOWN THE STRETCH.

No he wasn't, I remember a few shots he had that he could've normally made as well as a few oops to Chandler in the fourth. Not to mention Paul has REPEATEDLY come up clutch during the entire playoffs in the 4th quarter. I wouldn't let one game dictate your opinion on that.

• Premium Member

Quote:

We don't have a single guy on this team that we can throw the ball to in the post, and expect him to convert.

Most teams don't. Other than the Spurs, the final 4 teams remaining don't have post players. Garnett and Wallace are not post players, and Gasol isn't either. Gasol is a slasher for them, he's not a guy you throw the ball to down low to score AT ALL.

Quote:

Marvin consistently knocks down open jumpers. They aren't 3s, but they're far enough out to keep opposng defenses honest.

No they aren't. When you stand in mid range the entire game, the defensive player guarding you can still have a foot in the paint. If you're outside the 3pt line, the defender has to come out further thus opening the lane much more. It's MUCH easier to close out a shooter that is 3+ feet in from the 3pt line.

Quote:

We win games when we rebound and defend well

Of course, those are key cogs to winning games, and when we shoot well we do MUCH better. The problem is that we don't have shooters so we rarely have games like that.

Quote:

Take Marvin or Chill from this team, and replace one of them with a Kyle Korver or Anthony Parker like shooter that does only that . . shoot . . and you create additional problems while trying to solve one.

I'm not saying get a Korver, Marvin and Childress have more value than that. I'm saying we need a good SF that can knock down the 3pt shot.

Quote:

The final 4 teams left in the playoffs are all good defensive teams, not necessarily good shooting teams from behind the arc, though they have a few shooters on each squad.

The Lakers/Spurs/Pistons/Celtics ALWAYS have at LEAST 2 shooters on the floor, always. As did all of the previous champions of the past 15-20 years. We will never be a good half court offense without being able to spread the floor, it just won't happen, especially now that there is no illegal defense penalty's and teams can pack the lane and/or run zone.

Our problems will remain the same, teams will pack the lane and double JJ, and we won't be able to hit shots and make them pay for it.

Quote:

Believe it or not, Marvin made 58% of his inside shots this year, 3% less than Smoove's 61%. That's pretty typical for a SF and much better than how he finished on the inside last year.

If you honestly think Marvin is a good slasher than I don't know what to say.

Quote:

Quote:

He did however RUN FROM THE BALL LIKE A GIRL WHEN HIS TEAM NEEDED HIM THE MOST DOWN THE STRETCH.

No he wasn't, I remember a few shots he had that he could've normally made as well as a few oops to Chandler in the fourth. Not to mention Paul has REPEATEDLY come up clutch during the entire playoffs in the 4th quarter. I wouldn't let one game dictate your opinion on that. Well if that one game is the 4th quarter of game 7 of a huge series then there could be a problem there. He vanished. Whoever used the words deer in the headlights was right on. He was flat out scared of the moment. He didnt even run to the ball to bring it up. He let Pargo decide his teams fate. They had Oberto guarding him on the inbounds plays and he still didnt make sure he got the ball. He hid behind him because he was afraid to get the ball.

Paul definitely did not play well last night, but give the kid a break. It was his first experience in a Game 7 situation, and it was highly obvious from the get-go in that game which team was the playoff veterans and which the new kids on the block.

It just continually amazes me how good the Spurs are, and quietly so. They are not the least bit flashy, but they are as fundamentally sound and as well-coached as any team I've ever seen in my life. People complain about them being 'boring', I say no way. Sure, they're not running and gunning and slamming and jamming all up and down the court- but I love watching a team so solid in the simple fundamentals of basketball, a team where every part seems to fit and they all work together so beautifully like that.

• Premium Member

Man, there are some sour grapes in here. I love my Hawks, but CP3 is THE best PG in the league right now. I don't recall him "freezing up" last night. It looked more like he was feeding the "hot" hand, something all true PG's should do. I never thought it was fair when Lebron got criticized for making the extra pass to the open man at the end of games and I certainly won't fault a player who is supposed to be the facilitator for his team for doing the same.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Paul definitely did not play well last night, but give the kid a break. It was his first experience in a Game 7 situation, and it was highly obvious from the get-go in that game which team was the playoff veterans and which the new kids on the block.

NJHawk is a BK supporter, so obviously he jumps on the ONE game that Paul doesn't perform well. Funny how he's criticizing the guy that finished 2nd in MVP voting in his 3rd year in the league.

Paul didn't take over the game and win it in the 4th or lead his team to the victory but he still had a great game overall and is clearly the best PG in the league now. Hell when was the last time a Hawks PG had a game even remotely that good? Maybe Mookie, but probably all the way back to Doc.

I hate the Marvin bashing when Paul does good but I also don't think it's fair to nail Paul when he doesn't have a career game.