• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What would you rather do.

pimp

Try to trade for a star player, that could help the team become a legit contender in the East. (( like Lakers did with Gasol and Celtics with KG/Allen))

OR

Leave the Starting lineup the way it is, and just try to improve the bench only.

(( Like the Raptors withKapono and Moon))

• Moderators

If you can score a deal like the Celtics or Lakers did for Gasol and Garnett you definitely do it, IMO. The Gasol deal you do every time no matter where you are in your development - that is pure windfall. The Garnett deal was very good as well (not as disproportionate) and a veteran top 10 guy in the NBA is worth the risk, IMO.

Quote:

If you can score a deal like the Celtics or Lakers did for Gasol and Garnett you definitely do it, IMO. The Gasol deal you do every time no matter where you are in your development - that is pure windfall. The Garnett deal was very good as well (not as disproportionate) and a veteran top 10 guy in the NBA is worth the risk, IMO.

Completely agree. Future "potential" is nice but it is the veteran teams that win championships and sacrificing some youth for a legitimate chance to win a championship, like the Celtics did, is a no brainer decision for any GM.

San Antonio is going to need to rebuild after Duncan retires but rebuilding is a little sweeter after a nice championship run. Rebuilding after plateauing at 50 or so wins and no championships sucks all around.

The time is now for this Hawks squad. They already have enough young talent that they can lose a young player(Marvin, Chillz) and still have players under the age of 25 on the roster. With JJ, Horford and Smoove on the team add another star or very good veteran to the mix this team could be very good. Just look at the east and possible moves coming:

Bulls - Beasley/Rose, they also have players that can be traded.

Heat - Beasley/Rose, the Matrix can be traded or let go to free up salary cap.

Nets - Melo and Camby possibly coming in trade. If not they still will trade to get better and have a top 10 pick.

Bobcats - Have a lottery pick and young players(Felton,Wallace) they can possibly trade. They could go after Melo and Camby with Felton,Wallace or Richardson plus #9. Allen Iverson is another possibility reuniting him with Larry Brown.

Those are all teams the Hawks were in front of this season who have a chance to get better. This franchise has been rebuilding for a very long time now its time for the GM, Micheal Gearon jr.,to get us a star or solid veteran to help us get to and advance in the playoffs.

Depends on who the star is and what we have to give up. Everyone's interpretation of fringe star players is different.

By star player do you mean top 10 ?

Kobe

Lebron

Howard

Stoudamire

Duncan

Garnett

Paul

D. Williams

Bosh

Wade

3 border line top 10 stars:

Anthony

Ming

Dirk

Then there are guys who are or were around the top 13 but are on the decline or will be next year:

Nash

Dirk

McGrady

Kidd

B. Davis

V. Carter

AI

J. O'Niel

Marion

Allen

Stars on the rise:

Roy

Durant

Ellis

A. Jefferson

J. Smith

Horford

Okefor

Bynum ? (injured)

Oden ? (injured)

Borderline stars:

Gasol

J. Johnson

Brand

R. Jefferson

Pierce

Ginobli

Parker

R. Lewis

Boozer

I am sure I have left out some names by mistake.

The point is that the top 10 players are pratically untouchable as are the stars on the rise. In my mind the Hawks could only get a "borderline star" or a star on the decline. Of the border line stars I listed I like both Richard Jefferson and Elton Brand.

Quote:

Bobcats - Have a lottery pick and young players(Felton,Wallace) they can possibly trade. They could go after Melo and Camby with Felton,Wallace or Richardson plus #9. Allen Iverson is another possibility reuniting him with Larry Brown.

Those are all teams the Hawks were in front of this season who have a chance to get better. This franchise has been rebuilding for a very long time now its time for the GM, Micheal Gearon jr.,to get us a star or solid veteran to help us get to and advance in the playoffs.

Wallace at SF next to JJ at SG would be beautiful. I like that one more then R. Jefferson.

Quote:

Depends on who the star is and what we have to give up. Everyone's interpretation of fringe star players is different.

By star player do you mean top 10 ?

Kobe

Lebron

Howard

Stoudamire

Duncan

Garnett

Paul

D. Williams

Bosh

Wade

3 border line top 10 stars:

Anthony

Ming

Dirk

Then there are guys who are or were around the top 13 but are on the decline or will be next year:

Nash

Dirk

McGrady

Kidd

B. Davis

V. Carter

AI

J. O'Niel

Marion

Allen

Stars on the rise:

Roy

Durant

Ellis

A. Jefferson

J. Smith

Horford

Okefor

Bynum ? (injured)

Oden ? (injured)

Borderline stars:

Gasol

J. Johnson

Brand

R. Jefferson

Pierce

Ginobli

Parker

R. Lewis

Boozer

I am sure I have left out some names by mistake.

The point is that the top 10 players are pratically untouchable as are the stars on the rise. In my mind the Hawks could only get a "borderline star" or a star on the decline. Of the border line stars I listed I like both Richard Jefferson and Elton Brand.

I don't think Smith a star on the rise, and I wouldn't put J O'neal with the declining... I think is declined and next season will just be worst. I think Smith is a future marginal All Star who is similiar cept for position to AK-47.