• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves 1st in pitching

frosgrim

Team Aggregate Stats: 2008 (From ESPN, accessed 5/22/08 at 1:45 PM)

RK TEAM GP W L ERA Sv CG SHO IP H ER R BB SO BAA

1 Atlanta 46 25 21 3.46 7 1 3 406.1 360 156 170 155 316 .238

2 Arizona 46 28 18 3.54 14 1 2 409.1 364 161 188 137 341 .237

3 Chicago Cubs 47 28 19 3.73 14 0 3 426.2 385 177 195 157 343 .240

4 Philadelphia 48 26 22 3.94 13 1 2 429.0 436 188 208 164 291 .264

5 St. Louis 49 28 21 3.95 16 1 2 440.0 435 193 205 154 280 .259

(I can't seem to get this list to format properly. Copy and put into a text program, e.g. Notepad, and it should become readable)

The starting rotation is also first in the NL.

I find this to be both amazing considering we have gotten little out of Smoltz, not much from Glavine, and nothing from Hampton.

Couple of good trends in the data. The Braves strikeout opposing hitters. The starters rank 6 in Ks for the NL. Again, look at who those starters are, and that stat is even more impressive. Second, control is not an issue for the starters like it was last year. We have the 4th fewest walks issued for any starting staff.

The bad- 12th in innings. That must improve or the pen will collapse.

However, the pen is pitching very well. They are sixth in Ks and BBs (meaing only 5 more teams have more Ks and only 5 teams have fewer walks). We are also 6th in ERA, and 9th in innings.

The only bad trend is starters innings. Everything else is very good. So much for Roger being a bad pitching coach. The starters and relievers are all praising the guy.

Considering we have no true closer who is healthy and how Smolts is hurt those pitching stats are amazing.

Bobby Cox and Frank Wren should get a big pat on the back for strengthening the bullpen in the off season without having to obtain any highly paid house hold names.

Even Jo Jo Reyes is performing and proving he not just a great AAA pitcher. He looks like he could be a long term middle of the rotation starter. Maybe Campilo (Sp ?) can be that 5th starter we have lacked for the past couple of years.

The trade of Renteria (now 33) for Jurrijens looks like genius. Reminds one of the other trade with Detroit of Doyle Alexander, who was over the hill, for some young guy named John Smoltz (who no one had heard of at the time). Mean while, Escobar is the real deal. He could easily be an allstar in his first year as a fulltime shortstop. that is now easy task for a SS.

Kotsay looks like a legit CF, definatly above average in the field which is suprising to me after his back injury. As long as he stays healthy he is actually an upgrade from what Andruw Jones gave us last year.

The RF platoon looks decent. Just keep waiting for Matt Diaz to turn back into that hitting machine.

Kelley Johnson moving down in the line up is another excellent move by Bobby. He looks like a different hitter now that he can be aggressive. He was not a natural / patient lead off hitter, though he got the job done there for the good of the team.

Now lets finish the drill and sweep the Mets tonight ! Send them crawling back to Shae Stadium where the media will be all over them.

There is a rumor that is starting to circulate that Maddux might be available. IMO, I would love for Maddux to come back and ptich for us the rest of the year. Not only does the guy still pitch well, he can teach the younger guys like Reyes and JJ to actually pitch and not throw. Campillo had Maddux like movement on his change-up and curveall. If Campillo can give us 6 innings every 5th day that is HUGE.

Smoltz going to the pen will help as he is that lights-out closer that Soriano might become. Plus Gonzales is scheduled to be back in a few weeks. That gives the Braves crazy power in the pen:

Smoltz

Soriano

Gonzalez

Boyer

Acosta

Are all power arms. Boyer needs to find a way to make his fastball dance, but the other guys have NASTY stuff when on.

What is interesting is that the Braves will then have the ammo to make a major trade once Smoltz, Soriano, and Gonzo are back. I would love for them to go after either a full-time LF (though Blanco may be that guy), or an upgrade over KJ. The Braves seem to need one more RBI bat. That might be handled with Tex getting hot though. Francoure also needs to pick up his power numbers.

IMO, the Braves road woes are directly related to Tex and Jeff not hitting in the clutch. If those guys get back to their career norms, we should turn that road record around.

Quote:

Considering we have no true closer who is healthy and how Smoltz is hurt those pitching stats are amazing.

Bobby Cox and Frank Wren should get a big pat on the back for strengthening the bullpen in the off season without having to obtain any highly paid house hold names.

Even Jo Jo Reyes is performing and proving he not just a great AAA pitcher. He looks like he could be a long term middle of the rotation starter. Maybe Campilo (Sp ?) can be that 5th starter we have lacked for the past couple of years.

The trade of Renteria (now 33) for Jurrijens looks like genius. Reminds one of the other trade with Detroit of Doyle Alexander, who was over the hill, for some young guy named John Smoltz (who no one had heard of at the time). Mean while, Escobar is the real deal. He could easily be an allstar in his first year as a fulltime shortstop. that is now easy task for a SS.

Kotsay looks like a legit CF, definatly above average in the field which is suprising to me after his back injury. As long as he stays healthy he is actually an upgrade from what Andruw Jones gave us last year.

The RF platoon looks decent. Just keep waiting for Matt Diaz to turn back into that hitting machine.

Kelley Johnson moving down in the line up is another excellent move by Bobby. He looks like a different hitter now that he can be aggressive. He was not a natural / patient lead off hitter, though he got the job done there for the good of the team.

Now lets finish the drill and sweep the Mets tonight ! Send them crawling back to Shae Stadium where the media will be all over them.

The Braves have been flying under the radar so far. I don't hear much about them in my school compared to last year. I guess that's better. I agree about Jurrjens. It seems like he'll be a solid pitcher for a long time, and it's only inevitable that he'll improve with time.

That sweep of the Mets felt so good. I can finally add that sweep to the list of things to make fun of for the Mets fans. Obviously, their playoff collapse last year is on top of my "Mets Fan Hecklers" List.

It doesn't matter if Hampton is ready from the "pec" injury. He will do a rehab start or two then get ready to pitch and strain his oblique obscurous tendon. The dude is not going to pitch for the Braves again. We don't need him either.

Quote:

What is the status on Hampton? Is he going to be back soon? It seems like he has been gone an awfully long time for some minor pectoral discomfort in a throwing session before what was supposed to be his first start.

I don't know. I honestly don't expect Hampton to pitch any time soon. Hampton has to got to be the one of the most injury-prone pitcher in the MLB right now. I'm ready to call him a 'disgrace to Atlanta' with the money that we were expected to pay him and no results coming out of it.

Quote:

Quote:

What is the status on Hampton? Is he going to be back soon? It seems like he has been gone an awfully long time for some minor pectoral discomfort in a throwing session before what was supposed to be his first start.

I don't know. I honestly don't expect Hampton to pitch any time soon. Hampton has to got to be the one of the most injury-prone pitcher in the MLB right now. I'm ready to call him a 'disgrace to Atlanta' with the money that we were expected to pay him and no results coming out of it.

I've written him off.

Sounds like we get Soriano, Smoltz and Gonzo all back in the next 10 days. With what is already in the pen the starters don't have to pitch more than 6 innings a night. That bullpen is ridiculously good.

Smotlz throwing that slider from 3/4s is going to be unhittable unless he hangs one (I expec that to happen at first until he gets the motion down). Nonetheless the Braves bullpen has shortened every game now to 5 or 6 innings. That is very, very tough to deal with as an opposing team. Its especially tough considering each guy has a significantly different pitching style. Its going to be a fun summer.

Why can't the Hawks get their act together and be more like the Braves and less like the Falcons?