• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Could we see Major Changes???

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

“I thought we’d come into this game knowing what was at stake and knowing we had a chance to make history and move on to the next round,” Johnson said after the Game 7 blowout loss. “I thought we’d come out with a lot more enthusiasm and a lot more discipline, and we didn’t do any of that. We came out so lethargic. We had no continuity on offense. It was a joke, man.

“We’re so inexperienced, and we showed that every game in Boston. We had no chance of winning game here. None. I guess some of these guys thought we were just going to be able to come out and play hard and have fun. There’s more to it than that.

“Four games here and we got run ragged all four times. You would think in Game 7 you would have a (expletive) clue. We didn’t have a clue as to what was going on out there.”

OK, JJ is the reason that Woody is pretty much a lock to stay regardless of who the GM.

Well, I think he just made a call for some vets.

Based on this season, I think he's not overjoyed with Marvin or Smoove.

Could it be that we see some major changes in Atlanta.

Maybe some vets in place of our young guns??

No, Woody isnt going anywhere (which further handcuffs whomever will be our new GM)...that was well decided before JJ opened his mouth in support of Woodson. It probably happened as soon as we made the playoffs. But to take the Celtics to game 7, and win our home games, which is what every other team has done against the Celtics, is not very convincing to me...

Anyway, I do hope that our inspired play (at home anyway) during the playoffs was enough to help bring us some vets here. Then again, the ASG and the others have to be willing to actively look for these guys and pay them. We wont get anywhere with our team being as young as it is combined with the extreme lack of vet leadership on the bench and elsewhere.

• Premium Member

Quote:

No, Woody isnt going anywhere (which further handcuffs whomever will be our new GM)...that was well decided before JJ opened his mouth in support of Woodson. It probably happened as soon as we made the playoffs. But to take the Celtics to game 7, and win our home games, which is what every other team has done against the Celtics, is not very convincing to me...

Anyway, I do hope that our inspired play (at home anyway) during the playoffs was enough to help bring us some vets here. Then again, the ASG and the others have to be willing to actively look for these guys and pay them. We wont get anywhere with our team being as young as it is combined with the extreme lack of vet leadership on the bench and elsewhere.

Woody is probably definitely in.

C.G. is probably GM.

However, if JJ is calling shots. If he has some pull... Maybe we shop Smoove??

I read this a couple of weeks ago.Since then, i have been saying that "just" adding to the bench is not good enough.We were 8 games under 500. and can't win on the road. Winning 3 home games against the Celtics doesn't mean we're not a bad team anymore.

JJ knows were not going win anything with this team the way it is?

He doesn't waste his prime on a team that's not trying to win a championship.

I think JJ is tired of hearing Marvin say " I know I need to play better" but does'nt do it

Or watching J.Smith shoot 3s , and making wild turnovers.

I think JJ sees himself like Paul Pierce last year.He wants to do what the Celtics did , and go get some players to make a run at winning East.

I think JJ may be talking A LITTLE about Josh Smith because he can play hard in streaks but I really think most of the focus is on Marvin. Marvin had an OK game once during the season. Everybody was all over his jock for having such a breakthrough game when honeslty that should have been his NORM during the series and breakthrough would have been 20-25 plus points and a double double.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think JJ may be talking A LITTLE about Josh Smith because he can play hard in streaks but I really think most of the focus is on Marvin. Marvin had an OK game once during the season. Everybody was all over his jock for having such a breakthrough game when honeslty that should have been his NORM during the series and breakthrough would have been 20-25 plus points and a double double.

I think the scary thing is JJ is saying we don't have the players to get it done.

The other thing scary that JJ is saying is that Woody is doing a good job and he was the reason JJ wanted to come here!??!!?

Only the defending Eastern Conference Champion Cavs have pushed the Celtics to 7 games so it's overstating it a bit to say "every other team". The Celtics have already beaten the Pistons once as well so there is no reason to diminish what we were able to accomplish against the Celtics just because of their series against the Cavs. If anything it just gives us more credibility in that we were able to play them almost as well as the Cavs, who are a lot more experienced than us.

Woody has never had a problem playing vets and I doubt that he would leave them on the bench if we signed some unless they were flat out awful.

i dont think anything major will happen but i can see us getting one or two more veteran players to add to this young team. hopefully we find a good big man to play alongside Horford though and put JSmooth at SF..that alone could make a big difference

How do you know that Woody isn't doing a good job, all things considered? He might be doing as good of a job as most coaches in the league would do but it could actually be a personnel problem. It's easy to blame Woody and look at some of his mistakes and think that he doesn't do anything right but it could very well be some of the players just aren't smart enough or dedicated enough to do what needs to be done to get us over the hump.

Obviously Wood deserves some of the blame for our problems as he is a young coach and makes young coach mistakes, but I would bet anything that we have 2 or more players that JJ is specifically referring to in his quotes.

• Premium Member

Quote:

How do you know that Woody isn't doing a good job, all things considered?

Well, for one. I watch the team play.

1. I watch the lostness coming out of a time out.

2. I see Smoove doing things that should get him benched and he's still out there.

3. I see JJ allowed to ball hog on offensive possession.

4. Actually, i see a total disregard to offense Period.

a. Bad Offensive Spacing.

b. A refusal to run when it's obvious that we're a running team.

c. Set calls are sets that I ran in 8th grade.

d. An inability to work the refs.

e. An inability to motivate players to be better than they are: See Marvin.

f. A team that has only overachieved 1 time (against Boston).

I recall watching Lenny Wilkens coach the Hawks. He got a lot of flack for how he coached... But 1 thing that you could count on. Good Motion offense. Everybody on the floor knew what they were doing. The team overachieved and won 50 games several times.

I think A Woody coached team has hit it's max without bringing in an offensive assistant coach who is allowed to have free reign.

again, you have no idea whether those things are problems with players or with the coaching. JJ is the one vet from another team that we have that has spoken out about our team and the coaching he backs Woody and considering he has been in one of the best offensive systems of this generation and still backs Woody says something to me. I don't see why it's so hard to fathom that we might have some lazy, low basketball IQ type players on this team. You can coach them all day long to do certain things but if they don't do it, what are you supposed to do bench them and put in significantly inferior players?

It's also not fair to compare what Lenny did considering he had an extremely veteran bunch that could have won without being coached at all.

• Premium Member

The total disregard (stated) for offense is the coach.

When they come out of a huddle and can't excute... that's the coach.

All game long, they run the same ragedy play... That's the coach.

When Smoove f---- up on the floor and Woody just folds his arms... That's not good coaching.

When I look at our offensive spacing... that's coaching.

When you see Woody has a doghouse and puts players in it... That's the coach.

Oh. By the way.. I have a HAIKU explaining Woody's coaching:

That's his second foul.

Time for me to pull him out

Play him next quarter

Yeah... the 2 foul automatic PUll... That's the coach.

I agree with Diesel...to a degree. I think Woodson clearly has problems and is part of the problem, but I also think it is one some of the players as well. BOTH factions are at fault here in my mind. With Woodson here, there is a ceiling on how far we as a team are able to progress. Everyone is jumping on us taking the Celtics to game 7...but whoopie! We overachieved every game at home and looked like the normal Hawks at their place. The fact that Smoove takes so many 3s is insulting, and a large part of that is on him. But as Diesel mentioned, if the coach had any pull, he should have been benching Smoove when he ventured out there--because it clearly isn't his strong suit. I mean, isnt that what coaching is all about? Making plays and developing players to employ their strong suits? I could bring up Acie, or Marvin, or just about anyone else, but I would be wasting my time.

Anyway, this team does need major changes. It started with BK and should NOT end there. If we are ever going to outgrow this 'we are a young team" and "we are so inconsistent" and "we can't win on the road," then we need to see a few more changes.

Quote:

Quote:

How do you know that Woody isn't doing a good job, all things considered?

Well, for one. I watch the team play.

1. I watch the lostness coming out of a time out.

2. I see Smoove doing things that should get him benched and he's still out there.

3. I see JJ allowed to ball hog on offensive possession.

4. Actually, i see a total disregard to offense Period.

a. Bad Offensive Spacing.

b. A refusal to run when it's obvious that we're a running team.

c. Set calls are sets that I ran in 8th grade.

d. An inability to work the refs.

e. An inability to motivate players to be better than they are: See Marvin.

f. A team that has only overachieved 1 time (against Boston).

I recall watching Lenny Wilkens coach the Hawks. He got a lot of flack for how he coached... But 1 thing that you could count on. Good Motion offense. Everybody on the floor knew what they were doing. The team overachieved and won 50 games several times.

I think A Woody coached team has hit it's max without bringing in an offensive assistant coach who is allowed to have free reign.

Absolutely right. I have stated several times that some of our players (Marvin, Smoove) have bad habits that only the coach can break them out of. If Smoove was benched very time he took stupid or ill-advised shots early on it wouldn't be a problem now. If Marvin was benched for not being aggressive and settling for jumpshots he may not be a problem now. Woody has gotten us as far as he is going to get us. Fuuck what he deserves. I said it once and I will say it again "why not get better if you can". Avery Johnson and Del Harris among others are out there and they are better coaches than Woody who are available. Woody refuses to adapt. What the playoffs showed us is the we do have talent, while no team is perfect it shows that we have do have talent. We have holes like most teams but we have underachieved under Woody. that is a fact that can't be denied. The crowd was more responsible for the playoff run than Woody. Our road performance during the playoffs and the regular season is proof of that. His offensive scheme is just to give it to JJ and clear out.

• Premium Member

Not to mention our undeveloped Bench: Acie, Salim, Solo, West, Richardson.

It would have been nice to be able to count on one of these guys for more than 5 minutes or fr 5 strong minutes.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I said it once and I will say it again "why not get better if you can". Avery Johnson and Del Harris among others are out there and they are better coaches than Woody who are available.

That's the whole purpose of this post.

IF JJ can call for Woody to stay and ASG goes on a GM search knowing:

that BK couldn't fire Woody

and

The New GM has to accept Woody...

then JJ has some pull.

So why not investigate some of the other things JJ said.

He said get me some vets...

He said he was tired.

All season he moaned about Smoove not being disciplined on offense.

Then we hear from BK that he hopes that the Spirit keeps this team together going into the future.

It's enough to lead me to believe that maybe we are making a major change.

This idea pushing the Celtic's to game 7 is the reason Woody should stay is absolute bogus. Heck look at all the home teams in the playoffs their crushing the opposition for the most part yet the Hawk's management think's Woody is wonderful because of it....its the status quo. You saw the real Hawk's getting crushed in Boston.

I agree with all the negatives about Woody and I'll add one more ....boxing out. It was so frustrating seeing the Celtics get rebound after rebound when a box out would have solved the problem. I mean come on 4 yrs of coaching and we have terrible fundamentals still. Woody is accountable yet ASG looks the other way.

Somebody should get an interview with JJ and ask why he thinks Woody should stay.Why are there fundamental problems?

People think because there are so many high picks on the Hawk's they could be great in a few yrs. I don't see it I see players with no all round games, low basketball IQs and only JJ and Horford stepping up during crunch time. Bibby even the Sac Kings fans say he is inconsistent and Law doesn't get much playing time to develop.

I still see a bunch of pieces on the court and not a team the only way to current it is better coaching and better players.

Let me get this straight, when we win at home it's the status quo (and I assume luck considering your next statement) but when we lose on the road that's the "real Hawks"?

Notice how most of the teams are losing on the road? That's the status quo. When the Hawks won at home that's the "real Hawks".

Quote:

Let me get this straight, when we win at home it's the status quo (and I assume luck considering your next statement) but when we lose on the road that's the "real Hawks"?

Notice how most of the teams are losing on the road? That's the status quo. When the Hawks won at home that's the "real Hawks".

You know, there's some other teams that didn't get blown out by 20 points every road game. And none of the other game 7s were over in the second quarter.