• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So...

mattlanta

How long should it take to get a new general manager here in Atlanta...? And how long should it take soon after for a new coach (hopefully?), does anyone know? I haven't been keeping track of the candidates for the job, but I do hear King in a lot of topics. Haven't had the time to read up on all the GMs, so post here on who you really would want to get the job, and please think realistically.

I think the new GM will be named probably next week. The ASG has been interviewing the candidates. Based on what I've read, my guess is the new GM will be either Tommy Sheppard or Chris Grant.

You hear a lot about Billy King because Marc Stein said a while back that he would be a top candidate for the job. To my knowledge, Billy King has not been interviewed and may only be an option if the Hawks get turned down by their top choice.

• Premium Member

Quote:

How long should it take to get a new general manager here in Atlanta...? And how long should it take soon after for a new coach (hopefully?), does anyone know? I haven't been keeping track of the candidates for the job, but I do hear King in a lot of topics. Haven't had the time to read up on all the GMs, so post here on who you really would want to get the job, and please think realistically.

People are saying after the holiday for the GM. IF it comes that early, it will probably be Grant... Wost decision we could make...

You coach will probably be picked before July 1. More than Likely Woody will be back...

I think what you see is a bit of comfort all around. You have JJ calling for Woody because he's comfortable. You have ASG calling for Woody because he's cheap. You have ASG calling for Grant because he's cheap and he won't change things.

And next year the Hawks might win 40.

On first blush, I have to agree that hiring Grant may be a worst case scenario, particularly if he comes right out and says he wants to retain Woody. If that happens then it would appear that he indeed is a "yes" man and that ASG is pulling the strings. Hopefully, if he indeed is hired, he can prove me wrong.

It will also be interesting to see what type of contract the new GM gets. Is it a market contract?

Personally, I really want a GM that has no ties to the organization and will be given total control by ownership.

Having ties to the organization is neither a negative or a positive to me. However, I do know that the only owner that would hire a lap dog as a GM is Steve Belkin. That's why if he ever gets control, ML Carr will be the GM.

Chris Grant is a guy that has busted his rear end to get to where he is at. I'm confident that if there is any hint of meddling from the ownership's standpoint, Chris Grant will not take the job. He doesn't have to take this job. He's considered an up and coming future GM in this league. He can wait, because just like Dennis Lindsey, he will be on other team's lists very soon. The same thing goes for Tommy Sheppard.

The only ones that I believe would be willing to jump at this job if there is meddling from the ownership are the retreads like Billy King.

I think what you see is a bit of comfort all around. You have JJ calling for Woody because he's comfortable. You have ASG calling for Woody because he's cheap. You have ASG calling for Grant because he's cheap and he won't change things.

And next year the Hawks might win 40. I think its noteworthy that JJ stuck up for Woody and that Smoove was upset that Knight wasnt coming back. From the outside looking in it seemed that JJ had a good relationship with Woody and obviously Smoove doesnt. It is also apparent that JJ was unhappy with BK and more so ownership until they went out and got Bibby. Then after game 7 JJ asked for more veterans and is clearly unhappy with the younger guys. Namely Smoove. I wonder if Smoove feels that Knight was in his corner on the Woody deal and now that Knight is gone he will not only have Woody on his ayss but the new gm as well. Its going to be real interesting to see if Smoove is ineed signed to a big offer sheet will he pull a JJ and ask ASG not to match.

Clearly Billy King is not the answer. The Hawks tried the "bad track record" retread already with Billy Knight and we see where that got the franchise.

I wanted Lindey just because he has been around two very well run, professional organizations that seem to attract quality coaches. The Hawks need a good coach and some roster tweaks to get to the next level, although I am not sure the current nucleous has the goods to realistically contend for a championship (but obviously the only way it will is with a great coach).

In the past twenty-five or so years the only teams to win a championship are ones with a top 5 player (LA with Magic, Boston with Larry, Chicago with MJ, Houston with the Dream, San Antonio with Duncan, LA with Shaq, etc.) or veteran laden teams with hall of fame coaches (Detroit, with Chuck and with Larry).

Well, the guy I would have gone after isn't available, because he was hired before the Hawks were eliminated from the playoffs. John Hammond would have been my #1 target, and the Bucks hired him.

The two model organizations in the NBA are Detroit and San Antonio. IMO, if you can get someone that comes from those philosophies, it would be a good hire.

I would personally like to see Scott Perry get an interview for this job. He's been with Joe Dumas and John Hammond in Detroit since Joe became the GM, so he's been around that philosophy. He also spent this past season with Sam Presti in Seattle, so he's been around someone that comes from the San Antonio philosophy as well. Tony Ronzone is also an executive up there, but I have questions as to whether he would run the team like the Pistons or try to build more of a European style team.

From the San Antonio angle, you could actually go to a couple of different organizations and get someone from that philosophy.

Greg Popovich and RC Buford are the guys in San Antonio. Danny Ferry was the assistant GM there before taking the Cavaliers job. Sam Presti was the assistant GM before getting the Sonics job. Now, Chris Grant is an assistant GM for Danny Ferry, so he has been exposed to that San Antonio philosophy.

• Premium Member

...but true.

This team needs so badly to be in the "happening." They need to make moves that have substance. We went out and got Bibby, but other than that...what have we really done in BK's tenure? That was my biggest problem. Knight was not a mover or a shaker. He was not active...he simply made moves to react to what was going on with the team and around the league.

We have to get out of this mindset. We need to be ACTIVE. We're keeping these guys, and the organization, in a bubble and we are only making baby steps. We need a real coach. We need a real GM. We need real players...not just the hope that someone is going to rise to the challenge.

As much as I hated Babcock, the guy wasn't gun shy. He would pull the trigger on a deal in a nanosecond. Be it players, coaches, or even staff (he did bring in BK, albeit too late)...Babs made things happen. I REALLY hated Babcock, but I do miss being players in the market.

This team needs a shot in the arm and we need to bust the "baby" bubble that we've kept over the franchise for the past 4-5 years. Quit playing it safe and bring in a quality GM and fire the damn coach already...