• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sund comments on coaches

NJHAWK

Quote:

It's different because you guys are stating speculative statements as if they facts. Like the Josh Childress and the 11th pick for Calderon trade. Because someone speculated that a deal was talked about, you guys took it up as facts and blamed the ownership for meddling when the deal didn't go down. First off, there is a great chance that deal was never discussed, and secondly, it would have been a very bad deal for the Hawks. Calderon isn't worth the 11th pick and Josh Childress. I would have done it for Josh Childress straight up, but not for both.

No, we are going with the whole set of reports that have been shown to have significant grains of truth throughout the years. The facts are that when things are published about the ownership, there are confirmatory articles later on. I, for one, take what Sekou writes as the best writing on the Hawks as its going to get. Sekou tries very hard not to tick off ownership, but when he came out with that scathing article about the mess that BK got into with ownership, then I am much more inclined to believe the other stuff that is out there about the ASG.

The old addage of where there is smoke there is fire applies here. This isn't NYC or Boston where sports writers have to exagerate and/or make up stuff due to competition. This is Atlanta where there is no competition for news. What is even more curious is why would any national writer even spend the time to write about the Hawks over the past few years, let alone make something up?

Taken as a whole, the evidence indicates that the ASG have serious internal issues and those issues get leaked out to the press either here, in DC or in Boston.

The other issue is that you are doing exactly the same as the rest of "us" on the board. You simply are taking the other end of the spectrum.

No.

You have taken one instance where they didn't give Billy permission to fire Mike Woodson in the middle of a run to make the playoffs, and you have come up with the idea that Michael Gearon wants to be the GM because of that one instance. That situation has been blown entirely out of proportion, and it is absolutely not evidence that Michael Gearon Jr or any of the other ASG owners with the exception of Steve Belkin are meddlesome. This ownership group, with the exception of Steve Belkin, has never handcuffed Billy Knight's ability to make personnel moves.

Quote:

Quote:

...there are somethings i dont like about woody like isolation plays for JJ and his rotation is horrible.

You do realize that this is the entirety of Woodson's offense right? really.gif

Do you realize that its not

no matter what coach we get, this site wont leave him alone. apart from Avry Johnson what Coach is better then Woody out there that we could get ?

• Premium Member

Are you kidding me...?

Woodson's offense is ran through Joe Johnson and he doesn't run plays for Childress, Horford, or Marvin - he has said as much. In fact, when we drafted Horford, Woodson's remarks were that he only wanted him to do "dirty work" (rebound and defend). Had no offensive plan for him and didn't intend to even explore it. Woodson set the bar for Horf at ankle level and it has been there since day one. During the playoffs, VanGundy noted that we didn't even run plays for Josh Smith...though, I think Woody has got one play for him: that backdoor lob with Bibby.

It begs the question then, "who is Woody running plays for?"

Joe Johnson. The Celtics knew that and had JJ smothered in a zone. On every play, THE ENTIRE BOSTON DEFENSE was pointed at Joe Johnson. They knew where we were going. And when our dump to JJ or our isolation for JJ got hammered play after play, what did we go to? What? Please tell me...because all that I saw was a continuous feed to Joe Johnson. It's all that I've seen out of Woodson all year. Every play is centered on what JJ is going to do.

Quote:

no matter what coach we get, this site wont leave him alone. apart from Avry Johnson what Coach is better then Woody out there that we could get ?

What has Woodson done? We BARELY made the playoffs this year seven games under .500. The East "allowed" us to tap dance into the postseason by so many teams just being mediocre. We couldn't even seal up that lousy last spot getting BLOWN OUT by Indiana in a potential clincher. The Wizards gave us the spot by getting the job done for us. There was no excuse for us not being .500 this year and we shouldn't have been playing Boston in the 1st round.

The team has underachieved and Woodson has destroyed confidence. Acie Law went from a fearless cutthroat leader, to a timid cheerleader on our bench. Salim is ruined and is about to be left by the road for someone to pick up. Marvin may have to go to therapy for his fear of shooting a 3 pointer (it is apparent that Woodson want Marvin standing in the same spot every game waiting for a wide open jumper). Josh Smith has the green light to do anything at any time on the court - whether he can do it or not.

Woodson has taken this team as far as he can. He is an average AT BEST head coach and there are PLENTY of people that could step in and do an average job. Available guys like Del Harris, Mike Fratello, Jeff VanGundy, Avery Johnson would all coach circles around him. Doug Collins, Scott Skiles, Mike DiAntoni, Rick Adelman, Stan VanGundy, and Rick Carlisle would have as well had we got them when they were available over the past season.

This is a joke man. Good teams change GOOD coaches at the drop of a hat. Woodson's record, motivational skills (it was the rookie if you'll remember who got this team up for Game 3), offensive schemes, and overall usage of available talent are absolutely horrible...ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. Why are we so afraid to bring in a new face?

Ridiculous.

Quote:

Are you kidding me...?

Woodson's offense is ran through Joe Johnson and he doesn't run plays for Childress, Horford, or Marvin - he has said as much. In fact, when we drafted Horford, Woodson's remarks were that he only wanted him to do "dirty work" (rebound and defend). Had no offensive plan for him and didn't intend to even explore it. Woodson set the bar for Horf at ankle level and it has been there since day one. During the playoffs, VanGundy noted that we didn't even run plays for Josh Smith...though, I think Woody has got one play for him: that backdoor lob with Bibby.

It begs the question then,
"who is Woody running plays for?"

Joe Johnson. The Celtics knew that and had JJ smothered in a zone.
On every play, THE ENTIRE BOSTON DEFENSE was pointed at Joe Johnson
. They knew where we were going. And when our dump to JJ or our isolation for JJ got hammered play after play, what did we go to? What? Please tell me...because all that I saw was a continuous feed to Joe Johnson. It's all that I've seen out of Woodson all year. Every play is centered on what JJ is going to do.

Quote:

What has Woodson done? We BARELY made the playoffs this year seven games under .500. The East "allowed" us to tap dance into the postseason by so many teams just being mediocre. We couldn't even seal up that lousy last spot getting BLOWN OUT by Indiana in a potential clincher. The Wizards gave us the spot by getting the job done for us. There was no excuse for us not being .500 this year and we shouldn't have been playing Boston in the 1st round.

The team has underachieved and Woodson has destroyed confidence. Acie Law went from a fearless cutthroat leader, to a timid cheerleader on our bench. Salim is ruined and is about to be left by the road for someone to pick up. Marvin may have to go to therapy for his fear of shooting a 3 pointer (it is apparent that Woodson want Marvin standing in the same spot every game waiting for a wide open jumper). Josh Smith has the green light to do anything at any time on the court - whether he can do it or not.

Woodson has taken this team as far as he can. He is an average AT BEST head coach and there are PLENTY of people that could step in and do an average job. Available guys like Del Harris, Mike Fratello, Jeff VanGundy, Avery Johnson would all coach circles around him. Doug Collins, Scott Skiles, Mike DiAntoni, Rick Adelman, Stan VanGundy, and Rick Carlisle would have as well had we got them when they were available over the past season.

This is a joke man. Good teams change GOOD coaches at the drop of a hat. Woodson's record, motivational skills (it was the rookie if you'll remember who got this team up for Game 3), offensive schemes, and overall usage of available talent are absolutely horrible...ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. Why are we so afraid to bring in a new face?

Ridiculous.

Since when has an isolation play become just a regular play call ? you said the whole offence is a isolation play for JJ, i said its not. Also i said avalable coaches, i only see one guy there who is avalable and i said he should replace woody if we can but no other coach in the entire NBA that is avalable is better then woody

most our plays are for JJ, i didnt say they wernt. But thats most our plays, your exaggerating man, Its not centered around what JJ is doing. You watch, next season we will be well above 500 easily with Woody.

• Premium Member

Our entire offense is built around Joe Johnson. I just can't even argue that with you because there's nothing else to be said. Slap a zone on us, focus on shutting down JJ, and we lose. End of discussion.

We win when the team gets out and runs and can get easy baskets in transition. It helps when Bibby and Marvin are knocking down wide open jumpers after a "dump to JJ", but it's not enough to get us over .500 (as evidenced this year) and it's not enough to get us to an elite level. We either need a new coach or we need a very good offensive assistant to help Woodson out.

Woodson says "defend and rebound" and then run. I agree and the Hawks have played some GREAT defense from time to time. That's what Woodson is good at. That's why the Pistons won a championship with him and that's why they all walk to our bench to shake his hand before every game with us. He was a great defensive assistant.

The problem is, Woodson is not head coaching material and has no idea what to do with these guys on offense. When we can't run, we suck. Unless he gets some help, he will be fired by the Allstar break. If he isn't, then he should be.

Bookmark this please and feel free to rub it in my face if I'm wrong.

(BTW, Fratello, VanGundy, and Harris should all be available for a head coaching position and if they were to take this job, we'd see a dramatic improvement in focus and offensive execution.)