• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Move Joe Johnson

dakast

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We are already the second worst perimeter shooting team in the NBA. I don't see how moving Smith to the 3 will help that. Not to mention it takes our shotblocker away from the basket trying to guard players quicker than him.

For the second half of the year (with Bibby), we finished 8th in the league in 3 pt%.

Bibby hit 69 Three pointers in 32 games. Prorated, that's 177 in 82 games. That's right up that with JJ.

AJ and Lue hit a combined 57 threes in 42 games and we were 17th ranked in 3 pt%.

I don't think the number of 3 pters we hit are going to matter.

Moreover, your argument is KEEP MARVIN AT the 3.

You cry about the Hawks three point ability with Smoove at 3... Well, the truth is that Marvin only shot 10 three pointers on the season? And he hit 1. How is keeping Marvin at the 3 helping our three point shooting?

Here's the bottom line. You put Smoove at the 3, Horf at the 4... Then you have a team that has Horf playing in position and I believe he'd be a better scorer playing in his natural position.

So i guess that means you want Bibby here long term?

I will be sure to note this in your future trade proposals.

Smith shot 29% on his long 2 pt jumpers, Marvin 41%. Just because Marvin doesn't take 3s doesn't mean he isn't scoring from the perimeter.

That means that I don't like Bibby's contract... But I like what he brings to the team. I want to see what we look like with a healthy Bibby. Bibby beyond this contract is not an extension and he knows this. However, maybe he will allow us to resign him for longer at less money. Otherwise, you're right, we have to go to our other options.

Still, that does not mean that we have to knee jerk just to get a three point shooter in here. I would much rather see us improve our offense as a whole than to continue a series of knee jerk reactions.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

He is vastly underrated as a defender as well. People forget that he was known as a defender coming out of college. He would be as good defensively at SG as JJ is and JJ would be as good as Marvin at SF. The key will be to remain solid offensively at PG but improve there defensively.

I would think Joe would be a defensive upgrade over Marvin as well. It's been said quite a few times that Joe is our best on ball defender. Joe has the size to guard a three with no problem and probably a little more quickness to boot.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Let's say Bibby did hit those 177 3pters that would give our "Big 2" 346 for the season.

To compare, Orlando's "Big 2" hit 392 3pters.

Orlando averaged 9.8 3pt makes per game, tops in the league. Atlanta averaged 4.7 3pt makes per game, 27th in the league. Even with Bibby we are no better than the mid teens in 3pt shooting.

All that and we still made the playoffs and we still scored over 100 ppg in the second half of the season.

The point is that before we go casting all our hopes into three point shooting, I think there are some rudimentary things that we don't do well that would make us much better. Orlando is tops in the league in 3 pt makes... That and a MARTA subway token gets them a seat next to the Hawks for the next playoff game. How much difference does it make. My understanding of basketball is that the 3pt shot works best as a secondary form of scoring.. sometimes tertiary. However, what we don't do well is just drive the ball and plain old ball movement. If we improved those two areas, we'd be studly on offense. We have some of the most efficient players in the game playing for us. Why are we constantly look for somebody to hit a three point shot? Why is nobody challenging the rim?? Why is JJ the only player who will dribble inside and shoot a floater?!

Get us a top assistant who can coach offense and offensive ball movement. I don't care if you have to get Brian Winters or even Lenny Wilkens himself back in here... get somebody who can coach it... put it with a smart defense. Smoove can roam and we play zone with everybody else and watch us win more than we lose.

To listen to some of you guys talk, you would think that basketball offense is 4 guys on the perimeter waiting on the PG to pass them the ball for the shot.

• Premium Member

Actually because Raja is a better three point shooter and a much better defender. (All defensive 2nd team). Raja has a nack for stopping perimeter scoring and keeping his man from driving.

But yeah... a guy who hits over 150 3 pters in a season is much better than a guy who hits 1 over the same season.

Especially if he is as affordable as BELL.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Umm if I had a choice between Michael Redd and Raja Bell in trading Marvin for, guess which one I'm going to take?

I would guess that you would take the 15 million dollar max contract that will keep us tied up for years?

However, you would pass on the better defender/3 pt shooter & value why???

• Premium Member

Quote:

how about.....

Acie

Bibby

JJ

JS

AH

Let Bibby play the 2 spot on offense...on D let Acie defend the 2 guard.....real simple.

I think that's a possible for some matchups.. However, just changing around personnel won't help us as much as a real live offensive scheme.

Mike Bibby/Marvin Williams for Michael Redd/Charlie V

We are taking on A LOT of salary from Milwaukee PLUS giving them good players. We should get a premium in return. Having Charlie V as a RFA will also give us more value in sign-and-trades next offseason.

I don't know if I'm ready to have over $30M in our SG/SF BUT I'd imagine Marvin Williams would get close to $10M so for $5-6M more you are getting an allstar caliber player.

Acie Law

Michael Redd

Joe Johnson

Josh Smith

Al Horford

We need some more muscle but that team would be able to LIGHT it up once Law got settled.

• Premium Member

Quote:

He is vastly underrated as a defender as well. People forget that he was known as a defender coming out of college. He would be as good defensively at SG as JJ is and JJ would be as good as Marvin at SF. The key will be to remain solid offensively at PG but improve there defensively.

Redd is not an underrated defender. I would love to have Redd and he does a lot of things, but he sucks at defense. He might have been good in college but he isn't in the NBA.

Quote:

Mike Bibby/Marvin Williams for Michael Redd/Charlie V

We are taking on A LOT of salary from Milwaukee PLUS giving them good players. We should get a premium in return. Having Charlie V as a RFA will also give us more value in sign-and-trades next offseason.

I don't know if I'm ready to have over $30M in our SG/SF BUT I'd imagine Marvin Williams would get close to $10M so for $5-6M more you are getting an allstar caliber player.

Acie Law

Michael Redd

Joe Johnson

Josh Smith

Al Horford

We need some more muscle but that team would be able to LIGHT it up once Law got settled.

that's a perfect lineup.I would love to see that next year