• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My niece probably has Cervical cancer

Plainview1981

It depends on the stage of the cervical cancer. If it is a low grade lesion, the chances of regression are around 60%. The chances of progression to a high grade abnormality are 15% though. Low grade lesions can be treated with procedures such as the cold knife conization, loop excision, cryotherapy, and laser vaporization.

The treatment of choice for microinvasive carcinoma of the cervix is a total abdominal hysterectomy.

If it is invasive carcinoma, then a radical hysterectomy is the treatment of choice along with possible radiation and chemotherapy. A radical hysterectomy involves the removal of the uterus, cervix, upper third of the vagina, parametrium, and the uterosacral and uterovesical ligaments.

I am assuming that she is in the early stages of her pregnancy. Most of the time, the OB/GYN will do a pap at the beginning of the pregnancy, and I'm guessing that this is why the cervical cancer was found. If the pap is abnormal, the next step is usually a colposcopy.

My wife turned up pregnant unexpectedly in 95 which I think was miraculous becasue we found out she had cervical cancer . . . . stage 3. Attempts to save the pregnancy were not successful and she had a complete hysterectomy and has been cancer free since.

Turns out that was like basic training for what we faced with our 13 yr old in 99. She had a very rare form of cancer and spent 7 months at St Jude Hosp in Memphis. She has had several scares but is also cancer free.

It is a life altering event but the strides the've made are incredible. And I've found out that there are many silver linings to the dark cloud. having a strong support group is vital. my prayers are with you and yours.

My 3 year old niece died with cancer in 1995, She had Burkitt's lymphoma I think was the name of it. So we have been through the cancer thing before. It looked like she swallowed a basketball or something. It made her VERY ill and she would say the most awful things. Things you can't picture coming out of a 3 year old's mouth.

Wow, that sounds terrible, man. I will keep your family and especially your niece in my prayers. I don't know much about cervical cancer either, so I'm sorry that I can't help you find information on that. However, my grandfather died of lung cancer (he smoked a lot) and my grandmother was treated for breast cancer a couple of years ago. Both of them were on my dad's side, so I guess I know what it's like to have a loved one go through this.

• Moderators

Your niece is definitely in our thoughts and prayers. I hope she has a successful delivery and goes on to a complete recovery. Just going through that has to be incredibly traumatic for her and her family, though.

(Dr. Reality - I am very glad to hear it was good news for your wife and daughter when they overcame cancer in year's past.)

It gets worse. Considering her husband is a pill head. If something happened to her and he got the kids. He is not even close to being able to take care of two children. Hopefully it all comes out alright. She might not be able to have kids after this. That has her down abit due to her age. However, it seems to me that 2 kids is plenty. But that's me talking. spin.gif

Quote:

It gets worse. Considering her husband is a pill head. If something happened to her and he got the kids. He is not even close to being able to take care of two children. Hopefully it all comes out alright. She might not be able to have kids after this. That has her down abit due to her age. However, it seems to me that 2 kids is plenty. But that's me talking.
spin.gif

That's where family comes in. There aren't many absolutes any more in our crazy world, but when it comes to what is right for kids that's not the case. There is a right and wrong and that's one thing we have to fight for.

I got some tough news today . . . . looks like my father may have lung cancer. Will know more in a few days. I'll be going to see them to help them through this. Peace.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I'll never understand smoking myself. I don't understand heavy drinking either. I guess everybody has their demons they have to battle. The world likely hasn't ever been sane. We just seem more and more on the news than we perhaps used to hear.

Cancer is such a cruel disease. I lost my father in january after there were complications in his surgery to remove a tumor from his esophagus. That is the thing with the disease: there are no easy treatments. I hope she gets through this.

In any case, I thought I should take this opportunity to talk about something that I think is crucial, which is HPV vaccination, as that was part of a research project I was involved with a while back. 1 in 145 women in the US will be diagnosed with cervical cancer in their lifetimes. HPV infection is a necessary condition for the development of cervical cancer, and it is also associated with several other types of cancer (vulvar, oropharyngeal). While existing vaccines do not protect against all types of HPV, they protect against the ones most commonly associated with cancer. So tell the girls and women in your life to get vaccinated. And, more importantly tell your insurance companies and your gov. representatives that they should step up and foot some of the bill, as the vaccine currently costs between 300 and 500 dollars. Mathematical simulations estimate that if we start vaccinating every 12 year old against HPV, cervical cancer mortality rates would decline by around 76% (not to mention other types of cancer, although they are rarer). And, contrary to popular belief, oncogenic HPV (i.e., HPV that can lead to cancer) is not just sexually transmitted. So abstinence is not enough.

By the way, your niece's doctor probably knows this, but just to be safe keep in mind that there is a small but real possibility of HPV being transmitted to the child during childbirth.

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your dad. I'll never understand smoking myself. I don't understand heavy drinking either. I guess everybody has their demons they have to battle. The world likely hasn't ever been sane. We just seem more and more on the news than we perhaps used to hear.

You got that right. But "Hot" you have to speak to those demons and against them. Do not, I repeat DO NOT accept a bad report. Speak of healing and health to your loved ones (and enemies too).

When our daughter was diagnosed in '99 my wife said: We better pray for a miracle. I responded unconsciously and said: We need to expect a miracle. And that became our battle cry. Our church printed t shirts and since then we have had a Relay For Life team by that name. My wife sent out emails that kept people updated and they lterally went around the world to Europe and Japan as a prayer chain. And a miracle did happen . . . . they couldn't explain medically how her tumor had not affected anything else in her abdomen. But it was pretty common knowledge that miralces happened every day at St Jude Hospital. And life has not been the same since. By the grace of God our family is healthy even though we know families who were not so lucky. That's been a hard one to take. Peace.